Norton Installation error 171

xz11

n00b
I've got a computer that used to have antivirus 2005 installed, but it got corrupted and needed to be reinstalled. Because there was just a short amount of time left for the year, it was upgraded to AV 2006. However, during installation, it always says fatal error, rollbacks the changes, and gives error code 9999, 171. I believe this means module 9999, error msg 171.

This doesn't really indicate what the true problem is or how to get norton installed on the system. I believe that the original 2005 was corrupted do to hdd errors, and now scandisk has been run. I've also tried re-downloading the 2006 software but get the same error. Nortons web support is nearly worthless, the directed site for the error says its either an unsupported/outdated product, or their information is down.

Didn't find much on error 171, and symantecs site doesn't seem to have a list of what all the error codes mean. Anyone ran into this problem before or have any ideas to fix this?

Norton antivirus is a pain in the ass if you've a single registry or file missing. I had a bad experience in trying to remove Symantec Antivirus Coporate edition.

Trying searching symantec.com for the error. If not search for how to manually remove it.

sweet- last things i did were a defrag and run the tools you suggested and 2006 just installed. Thanks!

Back