Norton Antivurus 2005 is bad, mostly due to their tech support.

IDF

Limp Gawd
I like my system to be finetuned, and Norton has many services that hog up memory.

So what i did was disable all Norton and Symantec services so when i game i can have that memory. After Disabling the services by clicking Start,Run then typing services.msc in windows xp all was good for a few days then all the sudden i get some error telling me my key is no longer good or something to that extent of a message.

My goal was to disable them all and turn them all back on when i want it running. Seems they have a few services or one that led to the cancellation.

After 5 emails back and forth with tech support they simply or the one person cannot answer anything. he is just giving me run-around basically. I asked to get this stepped up to level 2 or even a 3 if they have one in the tech support and so far have received no reply.

I know Mcafee when i had it would allow me to disable all the services and turn them back on and not LOSE your account and have to be reactivated.

Sure it would be nice to go back to Mcafee atm, but spending alot of money on virus scanners al the time can get to your pocket and AVG does not detect alot compared to the big names.

Anyone else have problems or no problems with Disabling the services and turning them back on when you need it to be running ? Theres only like 7of them + or -.

If Norton doesnt give me an answer soon sure i will go back to Mcafee and they lost a customer for life. Theres no reason whatsover that you should not be allowed to turn off the services and turn them back on when you dont need the extra memory for games.

Maybe one of you all that has norton AV 2005 have solved this by knowing which service when disabled starts the Invalidation of the program. Seems they are afraid of something, but they are worst then microsoft licensing on windows xp.

Sure AVG is free but it doesnt hit many viruses in tests i have read about it that the big names do.

Norton is great , except if you turn off the services to get more memory for your gaming.

I guess if i cant get this resolved thru Norton i will go back toMcafee or read about some others that i have not looked into that dont hog alot of memory.

Free= AVG but not the best,

If you can wait alot have rebates which makes it practically free, but i will try to resolve the norton issue first.

Please all whom used norton and do now that have disabled services and been thru the same thing i am going thru respond if you have any info. I am almost sure that allof them do not need to be on for the invalidation to happen. and i can list them here if you guys want me to.

IMHO Trend PC-Cillin 2005 is the best. Norton home antivirus isn't that great.

AVG is just as good as Norton. Anyone who says other wise is justifying the fact they paid for Norton.

this is a known problem. i think even dvorak wrote a column about it. mebbe i'm making that part up, but norton home has problems with deactivating itself, not because you disabled the service, but because it's a POS apparently. btw, i've never had a problem with NAV CE in the 3 years i've been using it at work.

okay, i can't find it. post your exact error message or google it yourself. i guarantee you i've heard of this happening somewhere before.

I did not say Norton was the best, i just said its better then AVG. I have read somewhere and ill find the link to a test that someone tested all the major names and found AVG to catch 60% compared to others catching 90% plus or maybe even all or most .

If thats what you want to see .

I am trying to work on a Memory hog issue , not to start a flame/bash war as some of you have started . LOL. dont you have anything else to do ?

Im just looking to either resolve the memory hog issue of nav2005, or move on to a different one. Not AVG it has been proven to ctach alot but not good enough in my opinion.

You guys are cracking me up starting this into a bash war of anti virus programs. Must be the 13 year olds:)))

Anyways unless someone has something usufull other then AVG which i will not use. I thank you and will look into the brands, norton is good but it hogs memory.

this was from another post about norton 2005 that i made.

this might prove to be an interesting argument. i have norton 2004 on my primary system. on my secondary i have avg free edition. out of curiosity about the memory hog statement, i wanted to see the proof that norton is a hog.

i loading both systems up and took a snapshot of task manager and looked up each process to make sure i was accouting for it. this is what i found and i think it is very interesting!

primary / norton
savscan.exe 176k
symwsc.exe 908k
ccevtmgr.exe 1,880k
ccsetmgr.exe 3,496k
symlcsvs.exe 2,364k
navapsvc.exe 868k
ccapp.exe 8,668

secondary / avg7 free
avgupsvc.exe 1,908k
avgamsvr.exe 12,080k
avgemc.exe 12,412k
avgcc.exe 5,688k

what i think is more intersting is the misinformation that people will spread just to justify something else. so curious who proved that norton took more memory or that avg used less?

thanks for that info last poster but AVG sucks .

Will this keep you thrilled enough to reply ? LOL

I've been using AVG for years, it's great. It does the same job if not better than Nortons. It uses very little resources and is free!

They've announced that they're discontinuing version 6.0 and have just recently released version 7 Free.

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

I suggest you give it a whirl, what have you got to lose ? :)

I use Zonealarms 5 Security Suite. Nobody here has mentioned it so i'm curious as to why? Is there somethingn wrong with it? So far its been very good for me.

I agree with halo14. I went from Norton 2003 (155MB used) to AVG (136MB used).

Matrix0507: I just uninstalled ZoneAlarm. I used to use it and then stopped using it but had it on my system. Now it's completely gone and my system is so much faster. I went from 1500/250 to 2500/250 from testing with DSL Reports.

Use a hardware firewall.

Thx for all the posts, especially the one fro shal chacking the task manager comparing avg to nav . i havent instaled avg so i cant concur unless i do it but i willlook into it.

But my main reason for posting is and this was the main,.

After all i started this thread so respect me, and it is funny how all of it turned into something else.

My main reason was what services i could turn off and back on without invalidating it like it has in the past if anyone has fooled around with this.I wouldlike to turn some off if possible and turn them back on when i do my surfing or check email, or filesharing.

Doing that without the program going whacko and invalidating and needing new reactivation i am sure is from one of the services in particualar. i dont think that shutting one off would have done this out of 8 or 9 total.

NOD 32 . It's way better than norton or AVG and it only runs one service to disable. www.nod32.com there is a 30 day free trial.

The service that norton uses for the key used to be called something like norton subscription service in 2k4 and older. not sure with 2k5 as I Avoid it at all costs.

Download AVAST.... Best virus scanner I've encountered to date and it's free (Requires a free activation code)

I will vote against Norton and Against Zone alarm (personal experiences, not what I have read)

And I give a thumbs up for Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005, because I am using there free trial right now and it updates everyday at least all by itself.
In other words it does what it is "sussposed" to do.

Trend Micro is great also because of the free online virus scan.

I tried AVG a few years ago but for some reason didn't like it much. I like Trend Micro now and I will buy it also.

Back