Norton Antivirus Has Encountered An Internal Program Error? WTF?!?!

Scroatdog

[H]ard|Gawd
I just received a pop-up message from Norton saying basically what's in the thread title. It also informed me that I need to uninstall NAV and then reinstall it again.

I clicked the more information sentence and it took me here:

Symantec

The Reader's Digest Version:
Situation:
On restart, after installing the downloaded version of Norton AntiVirus 2004 (NAV), you see the error message "Norton AntiVirus has encountered an internal program error. Uninstall and re-install Norton AntiVirus." In the lower-left corner of the error message dialog box, you see the following set of numbers: 3029,14.

Solution:
To fix the problem, uninstall NAV and all Symantec products, clean boot the computer, and then reinstall NAV and all Symantec products. Read the document How to completely remove Norton AntiVirus 2004 and then reinstall the program for detailed instructions.

Note: this did not happen after a restart, this isn't a downloaded version of Norton AV 2004, and it's Norton Internet Security I'm running. The computer hasn't been restarted since I shut it down a week ago when I went out of town.

Norton Internet Security 2004 seems to be working alright at the moment. Has anyone seen this before???? I really am not in the mood to reinstall this thing, and have to restart and live update a gazillion times.

My subscription ends in October. Should I just pitch Norton and go with someone else? I'm behind a Linksys WRT-54G router, so that firewall should hide me pretty well should Norton shit the bed on me.

Suggestions???

It is an excellent time to switch to a better virus scanner. If, however, you don't want to do that, for whatever reason, be sure to completely uninstall the program before re-installing it. About halfway through that process, you may decide that my first sentence is on target after all. Good luck.

Uninstall Norton (using their uninstaller to make sure you get it all), then microwave the disc, the grind it into tiny bits, then take a ride on a boat slowly letting the remains of the disc sift through your fingers into the water.

Then, get NOD32. Never look back. Enjoy your new anti-virus experience.

Seriously though, NIS does some strange things. Do some digging around on the web and see if you can't find anything. A friend at work has NIS and every week or so it says that it can't do a full system scan because of a corrupt license (solution: uninstall, reinstall). Everything operates perfectly but it won't do a system scan. Then, the day after, the scan works perfectly. Symantec suggests that it might be spyware (or a virus, oddly enough), but they aren't sure. I don't let Norton in my house if I can help it. I'm afraid my computer will catch it.

Even after using the Norton uninstaller, it still leaves some crap in the registry and elsewhere. I removed it from a clients computer, and when she tried to install her new printer's drivers 2 months later, Norton wouldnt let her. I ended up having to do a full reinstall of XP to remove that Symantec crap from her system. Never again will I use or reccommend Norton products to anyone.

arkamw said:
Uninstall Norton (using their uninstaller to make sure you get it all), then microwave the disc, the grind it into tiny bits, then take a ride on a boat slowly letting the remains of the disc sift through your fingers into the water.

Then, get NOD32. Never look back. Enjoy your new anti-virus experience.

LOL. I take it you don't like Norton. Funny, this is the first problem I've ever had with it. Sure, I've read about others having problems here and there, but I thought I was ok.

I'll google NOD32 and learn more about it. Anyone like McAfee, or is that considered pretty much the same as Norton as far as breeding problems?

I'm going to do some reading on the "best" internet security programs out there now as far as effectiveness.

I just hope Norton holds out until I replace it. I'll also back up the registry before I wipe Symantec from it.

To remove Norton, google "symnrt". It is an uninstaller that Symantec has on their site and it will remove Norton faster and more thoroughly than the standard uninstaller.

If you are looking for a real internet security package you might want to check out Kaspersky or Trend Micro. I really like both of them and they both have AV + firewall. Trend also has spam blocking, some Wi-Fi utilities, and a basic spyware scanner. I know they both offer 30-day trials also.

Norton isnt actually bad in detection level. Symantec does a pretty good job on that area. (though NOD32 and others do have better detection....)

The problem with it is that it is bloated as hell. Complete and utter bloatware. Too much hit on the system memory while running, too many unnecesary stuff on it. And don't even mention that Norton Protected Recycle Bin crap they got going on...

Two years back I changed to Antivir (free version) and never ever looked back at Norton.

Norton Protected Recycle Bin. HAHAHAAHHA. I remember that. It was on my Norton Systemworks 2002. Man that software was buggy as hell. I ended up not using half of the programs it came with. Well I'm either gonna go with Trend MIcro or some of the free apps out there. BTW, I use Adaware and Spybot on a regular basis. Too bad someone hasn't come up with an antivrus/firewall program with those two apps integrated. That would truly be one stop shopping.

I still have irregular twitches from the Windows 95/NT4 days with Norton. I will never use their products on my home system. Ever. The corporate addition is ok, but it misses a lot of stuff. I use Antivir and AVG, but I am debating going to NOD32 myself. I am just too cheap and pinching every penny at the moment.

Back