Northwood or Prescott... Again

mc_P

Limp Gawd
I am going to upgrade my cpu really soon and i need to know which cpu would be better to get. I was originally planning on getting the northwood from cpl (really cheap wholesale place) but they have stopped stocking northwoods and now only sell prescott. I would buy a northwood proccessor from another place but they are overpriced and the prescott is like $50 at cpl then any random shop i have looked at.

The only problem i have with the prescott is they run hot and i dont want my computer turning into a heater becuase it is summer now in Australia. Which one should i buy?

My case is an antec super lanboy
oh and btw i was planning on getting a P4 3ghz

hello, i just bought a 3.0E (the prescott), and i too have a super lanboy, i went from a 2.8C northwood. How much more does the northwood cost than the prescott, u might spend the money u saved on the prescott for its cooling. the prescott in my case is 10c hotter than my old northwood, i might even go back and try to get a better northwood, since to cool this thing down would take some water cooling, and the water coolers are kinda expensive. If the gap between the Prescott's price are not too steep, i would go with a northwood, SO much cooler.

Well the prescott is about $50 cheaper then the northwood so maybe getting extra cooling might be a good idea but im not going to get water cooling. I also heard that the prescott is slower then the prescott due to its bigger pipeline, is the performance difference reallly noticeable?

mc_P said:
Well the prescott is about $50 cheaper then the northwood so maybe getting extra cooling might be a good idea but im not going to get water cooling. I also heard that the prescott is slower then the prescott due to its bigger pipeline, is the performance difference reallly noticeable?

No not really. When you get Prescott's over 3.4GHz they start to kick Northwoods ass performance wise. But the trick is cooling a chip that's that hot.

If you get the Prescott, and if your mobo can take it, then the TermalTake Xp-120 is the hs to get. If it cannot accept the XP-120 then the XP-90 is the one to get.

ImLazZzy said:
I went for 3.4 Northwood and it rocks...

Can I ask where you got the 3.4GHz Northwood, and what price?

I'm building a system, and would buy one if I could find one.

Thanks

found it at ZipZoomFly for $350, but is on indefinite backorder.

Sir-Fragalot said:
But the trick is cooling a chip that's that hot.
The real trick is getting an 84W P4 3.4E. :p Intel seems to allocate those mostly to OEMs.

I happened to get a SL7PY in my new Dell 8400: http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...cFam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL Too bad i'm not overclocking.

The E0 Prescott 3.4GHz (SL7PY/SL7PZ, 84.0W TDP) runs cooler than the NW 3.4GHz http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...cFam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL (only 1 sspec, 89W TDP)

martmann said:
Can I ask where you got the 3.4GHz Northwood, and what price?

I'm building a system, and would buy one if I could find one.

Thanks

found it at ZipZoomFly for $350, but is on indefinite backorder.

I'll sell you mine as I am going to make an AMD machine instead for the same price as ZipZoomFly.

I to am debating on which one to get...the E0 stepping on the Prescott seems interesting, however, I cant seem to find a place online that sells them. Are all OEMs E0's now? For me, it deciding b/w a 3.0C, 3.0E or a 530(the LGA 3.0ghz CPU).

Burner27 said:
I'll sell you mine as I am going to make an AMD machine instead for the same price as ZipZoomFly.

Thanks anyway, I bought the 3.2 Northwood last night.

i ended up getting a prescott 3ghz. Its a tad bit hot but i'll get over it.

Back