Northrop Grumman Announces 100Gbps Wireless Transmission Testing

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Northrop Grumman in conjunction with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has announced successful testing of a 100Gbps two-way data link transmission between two antennae over a 12.4 mile distance in a city environment (Los Angeles). Using this technology could enable the military to supply commanders on the ground with real-time intelligence and dynamic updates. Future testing has been scheduled to attempt the same data rates over a 62.1 mile distance and extended testing at lower data rates, by incorporating a sensor mounted on a Scaled Composite Proteus aircraft.

According to Louis Christen, director, research and technology, Northrop Grumman, "This dramatic improvement in data transmission performance could significantly increase the volume of airborne sensor data that can be gathered and reduce the time needed to exploit sensor data." "Next generation sensors such as hyperspectral imagers typically collect data faster, and in larger quantity than most air-to-ground data links can comfortably transmit," said Christen. "Without such a high data rate link data would need to be reviewed and analyzed after the aircraft lands."

I can see it now...

NEW from Verizon... 100Gbps wireless connections*, blazing fast bad assery blah blah blah....

*Capped at 2 GB of data use per month which you will blow in .000012 microseconds of using it.

this could prove to be a good thing for bringing access to rural areas but based on internet access prices to date it' may well wind up being data capped and for much more $$$ like Xfinity's 1 TB cap

Last edited:
"50 Gigabyte blue ray video in four seconds"

RIAA gonna be looking into this.

Also 86ghz Holy crap. 9-102 bet it was the birds and moisture

Heck with the wireless. I want that plane! That thing looks like something from 100 years in the future!

Using this technology could enable the military to supply commanders on the ground

i cant wait to see them going through their logs and seeing one IP coming up a lot

hahaha

WARNING.. VERY NOT SAFE FOR WORK

I wonder how well this will work in rain or snow? The higher the frequency the worse the penetration.

'Murica is pretty good at penetrating stuff... Even if we have to use non-campaign funds for it... :D

Back