Northbridge overclocking?

Devnull

[H]F Junkie
I am using a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev 1.1 w/ and just dropped in a shiny new 1090T.

Previously I was using an old Phenom I X4 9850 and could achieve stable 2200mhz nb speed. Now I am using a new bios to support the newer cpu and the options are a little different.

I have tried setting the "CPU Northbridge Freq" to either 11x or 10x(should be default?) and the system will not even post unless I set it to auto. I thought that it should be 10x200 for default and that 11x200 for overclock of 2200 nb speed.

am I missing something here? surprised that it will not even post with the multiplier set to 10.

You HT Speed is linked with your NB speed. Drop your HT link from Auto to 10x or lower then try to raise your NB speed.

thanks for the suggestion. HT link speed seems to be defaulting to 2600mhz. Want it to be lower than that? Tried setting it manually to 2.6 from auto and no joy. Clearing cmos not so fun.

ht link 2.4ghz seems to allow me to change the nb multiplier... However I guess you may be right about it being linked. didn't seem to work quite the same in the last bios. Because I have the NB multiplier set to 11 right now, but NB speed shows as 2.4ghz as well.

Last edited:
Your HT link doesn't need to be above 2000. Being at 2600 or even 3000 will give you 0% gains. you only risk instability.

The HT link speed is always at or below NB speed, most motherboards set it at NB speeds. While there are performance gains from increasing NB, there is nothing to be gained from increasing HT link. Just set the HT link at 10x, and overclock your NB, and leave it at that.

Your HT link doesn't need to be above 2000. Being at 2600 or even 3000 will give you 0% gains. you only risk instability.

Thanks for the info, but if I set the HT link to 10x, it sets the NB multiplier to 10x regardless of what setting I try to use in the bios. so far this bios has not allowed me to set each one independently and accept each one. It did on the older version.

Previously I had the HT link set at auto(it set itself to 2000 I believe) and the NB set to 2200.. 2400 nb speed was unstable. Interestingly with new bios/new cpu 2400 seems fine.

Now both are are 2400 and it seems perfectly stable. Did several hours of gaming with F&H running on 6 cores in the background.

Back