Northbridge fried? What potential damage to other components?

wizzackr

[H]ard|Gawd
I need your advice. Two days ago I turned on my old computer in order to check mails. When I had just booted into Windows the screen went black, Monitor went into standby - nothing. So I turned it off and tried to fire it back up. The PSU comes on, HDDs start spinning, all fans running, green and red LED on my IC7-G lit (no debugging LEDs, just confirms the established voltage connnection to the PSU), BUT not a single beep from the speaker, the monitor doesn't comes on and the the harddisks do nothing after they spin up, so I figure the machine doesn't boot.

What I did so far: First swapped the vidcard, but nothing changed, then I exchanged the CPU, again to no avail. When I swapped the CPU I noticed, however, that the heatsink on the northbridge had slightly slid out of place and that it was not sitting even on the die underneath. When I removed it the thing still looked pretty decent, but on the heatsink there are literally black scortched spots, so I *think* the northbridge blew (even though I heared some ppl even ran their IC7-G without one on the northbridge for some time :confused: )

Now, I ran out of compatible parts to swap out. Do you guys think it is the mainboard or the RAM (which is pretty much my only other option)? The board should give me RAM-error beeps then though, shouldn't it? Also, what are my chances of other components beeing fried IF the northbrigde went up in flames? If you guys agree on that it is probably the board I'll order a dirt cheap new one today, so advice is greatly appreciated.

(ex-)system:
abit IC7-G
P2.4C formerly overclocked to 3.2
2 GB Kingston RAM
2x Maxtor 80GB drives
sapphire 9700pro
pinnacle PCTV

cheers,
J

Black scorch marks can't be good at all. In all likelyhood, the board is fried as you said. I'd say best bet is for you to find a comparable replacement board, perhaps through FS/FT forums since they're likely getting harder and harder to find (just a thought - no idea if S478 is anything like S462/AMD boards in that respect).

As far as frying any of the other parts goes, I suppose it's possible (no mobo expert though)..The only way to find out would be to either test parts in any replacement board you may get - or maybe you know someone that could help you with swapping your parts into their machine for testing purposes?

[edit] Quick look @ NewEgg shows you're not near as bad off as S462 users - they've got ~35 S478 boards in the system vs *12* for the AMD side..You should be able to find something comparable to the IC7G there (or elsewhere/ on forums).
[/edit]
[edit2]Err on second thought maybe not - most of the boards are PCChips and the like..Not much jumped out at me, other than maybe the Asus P4P800, or maybe one of the MSI Neo2's? Never really been an Intel guy, but if memory serves, Asus' and MSI's boards from back then were pretty popular - certainly couldn't be any worse than the ECS/PCChips ones...

The Northbridge has your memory controller doesnt it ? Then if that is gone then i dont think it will show your memory working. Its the northbridge that is like the heart of all buses and controllers I think .If its AMD then its the K8 to the northbridge which is your HTT. The southbridge is mainly for the Pci , PCiExpress , USB.

I may be wrong in all this but i dont think its your memory that will go .Anyway let us know what happens , please

thanks for the replies, guys, I just ordered an asrock P4I65G I865G mAtx board for 50 bucks. I don't do much on that computer anyways, so I figure that should be fine. Now I only hope all other components made it through alive...

wizzackr said:
thanks for the replies, guys, I just ordered an asrock P4I65G I865G mAtx board for 50 bucks. I don't do much on that computer anyways, so I figure that should be fine. Now I only hope all other components made it through alive...
Usually your covered by warranty that you didnt even know you had or you blag you bought it from somebody and hope they believe you. :D
Asrock are good when it comes to service.Actually most of them are :p Take care wish you the best

Back