NorthBridge Cooling on a A8N

skeeder

[H]ard|Gawd
heres the deal...My Northbridge is DYING...I'm looking for another (perferably fanless solution) however...my system will be having a 8800GTS in it VERY soon, so this creates a room issue...

Anyone ever replaced the NB fan with a dual slot card?

What did you get?
DSC_0559_resize.jpg

Zalman NBF47. I just put one on my A8N, and chipset temperatures dropped 22 degrees. No fans. I am using the lower PCI-E slot though.

I used this on my neo4 as the stock cooler was dieing. It sits under my 7800GT. I can't tell if it's loud or not over my other system fans. I guess it gets the job done, I couldn't tell you what the temp differences were.

Chipset/VGA cooler

Edit. You might have to take the fan grill off to get clearance. Which only requires removal of some small philips screws.

I can verify the Swiftech MCX159-CU fits on the A8N Deluxe with two 7800's in SLI. Just fits. I pre-emptively replaced my stock cooler when I swapped cases and added a water cooling system. I don't have a photo but there is a pic of it on this MB on the Swiftech web site.

I am fairly sure that Thermalright HR-05 will fit between the cards too, and it's less expensive.

-- Rev

HR05-SLI or the Force Take Jing Ting...

Both will be out of the way "enough: to fit a GTS

As long as it doesn't get in the way, the Zalman one is probably the best thing out there. It got in the way on my board though so I couldn't use it.

hmm, my concern then was what direction to point the heatpipes...it seems that where the fan is there is stuff all around it. I don't know...If newegg gets it in stock I may get that.

either of those would work. The Thermalright might be a little better though since the fins are further apart. I think the other one is designed to use a fan...

Thermalright for passive work and Jing Ting for air.

I would get the Thermalright-

Quieter (Noiseless)

Cheaper

and easier to install.

Yes the HR-05 SLi will block another port, but you cant run 2x 8800GTX's on your motherboard anyway, you need 2xPCI-E 16X slots.

Thanks.

I'm in the same situation as you mate though I already have my 8800GTS. This morning i was casually web-browsing while the g/f was sleeping.. i ended up shutting the machine down with a headache cos of the horrible droning noise the N/B fan was making.

Zalman passive is a no go, the GTS hangs over 50% of the HSF. That HR-05-SLI looks the business.. I don't have a PCI card in the next slot so I should have plenty of room. Think I'll order one.

Yanman, on the a8n, it has 2 pci-e's. You can use either. Just set the jumper card to 8x-8x and you can use the lower one at 8x and it will clear perfectly.

skeeder said:
heres the deal...My Northbridge is DYING...I'm looking for another (perferably fanless solution) however...my system will be having a 8800GTS in it VERY soon, so this creates a room issue...

Anyone ever replaced the NB fan with a dual slot card?

What did you get?
DSC_0559_resize.jpg

i have the a8n-e and the xfx7600 gt .
i installed the zalman cooler yesterday .
its close .
like about 1/4 inch away from my card .
hope that helps .
cheers .

Picture033.jpg

Bbq said:
Yanman, on the a8n, it has 2 pci-e's. You can use either. Just set the jumper card to 8x-8x and you can use the lower one at 8x and it will clear perfectly.
The 8800GTS would be performance-limited by running at 8x.

To the OP, my vote would go with the Thermalright cooler.

Back