Nook Sales Extended!

Didn't see anything posted recently about any Nook sales.

BN.Com as well as local retailers have the Nook Tablets all on mega sale. Perhaps they are releasing some new hardware or I heard some talk about Microsoft being interested in the nook stuff??

Either way the Nook HD+ can be had from $149-179 depending on 16/32gb and the Nook HD can be had from $129-149.

The beauty of these devices is that you can run an android image right from the removable microsd slot.

If you like to dig through forums and assemble an image yourself that's cool but if you want to spend a few bucks you can go with an image that someone already put together (which is what I did).

http://www.androidfornook.com

There's a couple of sites out there selling these pre-done images but I went with this guy. He's cheaper than the others and provides awesome support on the forums. You can buy a pre-loaded SD card from him or just buy the image and pick up a card from anywhere.

It is highly recommended to use Sandisk Class 4 MicroSDs (I went with a 16gb since the 32s can be a little iffy apparently)

I have been running this for a few days and it's been flawless and the OS responds sooo much faster compared to the nook garbage.

Yeah def not hard to do but all said and done still half the price of most good android tablets. I'm more than happy with it and one simple image for the SD card.

If you got the time to mess with the xda forums you can certainly save a few bucks. I've spent $10 on far more worthless things though and for $10 they'll keep an eye on xda for new builds and package up the stable releases.

how is the nook running android compared to a real tablet though? Can someone give me a quick comparison?

16GB or 32GB? I realize you can add more but I haven't looked into all details yet.

Does the android image have to be run from the expansion slot? If so then the 32GB must be the better way to go?

I still use my old e-ink kindle for reading but I want this for web browsing and google docs. I guess I could just get the kindle app since when running through android right?

Does the HD+ have a micro SD slot? I'm reading it does not. Is it better to buy the HD then or does it not matter?

Last edited:
I bit on a 32gig version, wondering if I should have just saved the money and gotten the 16 gig instead.

Can you only put nook apps and books on the built in memory?

In the spec thing it says expandable with micro sd.

and they mention it in the cnet review.
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/barnes-noble-nook-hd/4505-3126_7-35472167.html

Your right I just went down the B&N and purchased one. Charging as I speak. I told myself tablets were lame and I needed a laptop, I think it's going to be more of a toy / living room internet browser but thats ok for the price. Boy did they try to up-sell me on accessories. I'll probably eventually get a case, maybe a screen protector but not for the $65 they wanted lol.

I feel kinda silly having both a kindle e-ink and a nook right now, so I'm looking forward to installing android tonight!

Crap I think I only have regular SD cards, Should I just flash to eMMC?

Last edited:
Im frustrated because I can't get anything to work.

I have a 16GB micro SD card from my old smartphone.
I download cwm early7.1 as directed.
I download and install WinImage.
I open the ISO in WinImage.
I extract these files to the USB Card (It's mounted through my cell phone).
I put the card in my book and boot it up.

I boot directly into the nook OS.
Ok It took a few tried but finally it booted from the SD card. Now I'm stuck on loading the zip file. I get "Can't mount emmc" or "Can't mount sdcard". I want to.

Edit: Trying to sintall directly to emmc now but thats not working either. Once again I can't get into clockwork. Ugggg This isn't as easy as you all made it out to be! I'm 6 hours in and no progress. I think it will have to go back if I can't figure this out. Not worth this much investment in time.

Last edited:
I feel kinda silly having both a kindle e-ink and a nook right now, so I'm looking forward to installing android tonight!

Dunno why you would. I have a Kindle Fire (original), Kindle Fire HD 8.9" and a Kindle Paperwhite. I don't feel silly having the different devices, except that I never use the original Kindle Fire anymore. I got the two Fire's on sale, so they were hard to pass up. I use the Paperwhite when travelling and need the lightest amount of weight and best battery life. I use the Fire HD when I need something close to a laptop where I can check email, surf the web, play games, etc. I just need to decide if I should sell my original Fire... ;)

What am I doing wrong? Am I not writing the ISO to the card correctly? The write disk option is not available.

From above I see that specific micro SD cards are recommended. Could it be that the one you're trying to use isn't being seen? I don't have any experience with them, just going by what has been posted. It seems like the prices are really good. I've been tempted to pick one up to see how they compare to the Kindle Fires.

Dunno why you would. I have a Kindle Fire (original), Kindle Fire HD 8.9" and a Kindle Paperwhite. I don't feel silly having the different devices, except that I never use the original Kindle Fire anymore. I got the two Fire's on sale, so they were hard to pass up. I use the Paperwhite when travelling and need the lightest amount of weight and best battery life. I use the Fire HD when I need something close to a laptop where I can check email, surf the web, play games, etc. I just need to decide if I should sell my original Fire... ;)

From above I see that specific micro SD cards are recommended. Could it be that the one you're trying to use isn't being seen? I don't have any experience with them, just going by what has been posted. It seems like the prices are really good. I've been tempted to pick one up to see how they compare to the Kindle Fires.

Thanks for justifying my spending for me, I feel much better now :) I think your right.

I think the problem was the the tutorial in the link above did not tell me how to use the software to "Write" the files to the SD card appropriately. I also changed to a non-recommended Micro SD that was in my Droid Razr max from the recommended Sandisk brand. I wasn't really that worried about not having a class 4 for the EMMC style install. The eMMC style install uses a different tool (Win32 Disk Imager) that was more straight forward, I never did figure out how to use the tool in the SD Card Install link above. It just says "Use the program to write files". or something of that nature. I'll bet if I had used this other program instead the SD card install would have worked though.

Once using this tool it booted clockworkmod on the first try and every try after. Waiting for gapps to finish downloading to complete my install, very easy once you get working software I'm sure.

Last edited:

Ok It took a few tried but finally it booted from the SD card. Now I'm stuck on loading the zip file. I get "Can't mount emmc" or "Can't mount sdcard". I want to.

Edit: Trying to sintall directly to emmc now but thats not working either. Once again I can't get into clockwork. Ugggg This isn't as easy as you all made it out to be! I'm 6 hours in and no progress. I think it will have to go back if I can't figure this out. Not worth this much investment in time.

I'm typing from the hd plus 16gb right now. Use the "emmc for dummies" on the xda forum. I couldn't get that image to boot.

Really considering buying one of these. Was it worth the $150-$180 to anyone that bought one?
At the price tag for the hardware, it looks like an absolutely amazing deal.

I decided to return mine as I wasn't using it as much as I expected. Don't know why that would be a surprise between my phone and pc, lol

It was really nice, though. Definitely would recommend it for someone looking for a tablet

I use my HD+ all the time, literally every day for web browsing, Netflix and youtube, and sometimes email. I have not rooted it or anything, since it has the Play Store built in now you can run just about any Android app you like on it without rooting. (not 100% as there are device restrictions at times that the app developers put in, but it runs Torque Pro so I can use it as aftermarket gauges and media player in my car.)

The screen is amazing, but the speaker a little weak. But it also works great via HDMI to the TV as well.

is it perfect? No. Is it worth $150? for sure. I'd never buy an iPad not because I hate apple (because I don't) but because they are simply not worth the money. This will do 99.9% of what an iPad will do, in 1920x1280 (higher than HD) on a brighter screen for MUCH less money.

Oh, I guess it also works for books, but I have only read 2 on it so far.

ye I'm all rooted now and running cyanogenmod pretty noticeable difference in speed and much slicker interface too. I'm thinking about getting a bluetooth keyboard for it if I can fine one on the cheap so I don't get it all dirty when using it in the garage.

Totally worth the money. Went to costco and they had a galaxy tab for about $100 more on sale. I think the tab has the camera and GPS? Camera would be nice for apps that self configure with barcode scanning... However this tablet is faster than the galazy tab, it's between the tab and note, but looks better than both of them.

Anyone recommend some cases and screen protectors for it?

Man Amazon has spoiled me, I ordered on the 19th and it's still not here and I feel like it's been weeks.

Sry, I never posted back in this thread. Just got back from vacation.

Glad you got it all working Justintoxicated, It is a nice piece of hardware for the price, especially running stock android vs the nook garbage ui.

I dunno if it depends on the image you are using but I believe it will use the internal storage as well as the SD card for storage. I'm new to this myself and just went with a pre compiled image.

Thanks for the heads up on these. I was in the market for a cheap android tablet and just picked up a 32gb hd plus. Typing on it right now. If anyone is debating this will be very hard to beat for the price. Screen is really nice and its not a fingerprint magnet,!

Love my Nook HD+; I've had it since early May when it first went on sale at $179 and use it every day. Ironically, I probably spend 50% of the time on it running the Android Kindle app. At $149 it's a steal.

And if anyone is looking for a case for it, I've got the "Poetic Slimbook Case" for Nook HD+ (use HardOCP's Amazon linkage to find it and throw 'em a bone that way).

I got a SanDisk 32GB microSD card (make sure you get a class 4 and not a class 10) and have Jelly Bean up and running on it (go ahead, call me a p---y, but I went for the AndroidForNook download of it and it was an absolutely trouble free install that didn't require me to root it).

Anything I don't like about it? Well...I wish it had come with Jelly Bean out of the box, but that's minor. The biggest thing is that it doesn't use a microUSB port to charge it up, which means you have to get extra cables from B&N itself (to the tune of $15 a pop) because no 3rd party vendor makes custom cables for it. And while it hasn't gotten in the way yet, it doesn't have a front facing camera for video calling (it does voice conferencing just fine though). And it would have been nice to have dual stereo speakers oriented in landscape like the Kindle Fire HD does.

None of these things would keep me from buying it again, especially at the $149 price point. To me, the only "bang-for-the-buck" competition for it is the 7" Walmart HiSense Sero 7 Pro tablet, which is a Nexus 7 clone, but with a microSD card slot, and both front and rear facing cameras. And I just like the 9" 1080p screen on the Nook HD+ better than the 7" 720+p screen on the HiSense.

I got a SanDisk 32GB microSD card (make sure you get a class 4 and not a class 10) and have Jelly Bean up and running on it (go ahead, call me a p---y, but I went for the AndroidForNook download of it and it was an absolutely trouble free install that didn't require me to root it).

Why class 4? Compatibility?

I would consider myself a tablet hater. in most scenarios i always recommend people to skip the tablet and put that money towards a laptop.

However the nook hd+ at $149 is at a price point hard to pass up. I picked one up and ill summarize my thoughts. wonderful screen and ergonomics (weight / size) terrible UI. I had to reset mine back to factory defaults within a week already -- having random crash issues. Performance is very sluggish.

Overall im quite happy with it to replace my phyiscal books/magazines. (this is of course it runs stable which it has since reset)

Last edited:
Love my Nook HD+; I've had it since early May when it first went on sale at $179 and use it every day. Ironically, I probably spend 50% of the time on it running the Android Kindle app. At $149 it's a steal.

And if anyone is looking for a case for it, I've got the "Poetic Slimbook Case" for Nook HD+ (use HardOCP's Amazon linkage to find it and throw 'em a bone that way).

Anything I don't like about it? Well...I wish it had come with Jelly Bean out of the box, but that's minor. The biggest thing is that it doesn't use a microUSB port to charge it up, which means you have to get extra cables from B&N itself (to the tune of $15 a pop) because no 3rd party vendor makes custom cables for it. And while it hasn't gotten in the way yet, it doesn't have a front facing camera for video calling (it does voice conferencing just fine though). And it would have been nice to have dual stereo speakers oriented in landscape like the Kindle Fire HD does.

None of these things would keep me from buying it again, especially at the $149 price point. To me, the only "bang-for-the-buck" competition for it is the 7" Walmart HiSense Sero 7 Pro tablet, which is a Nexus 7 clone, but with a microSD card slot, and both front and rear facing cameras. And I just like the 9" 1080p screen on the Nook HD+ better than the 7" 720+p screen on the HiSense.

Awesome, did you notice a speed increase when booting to jellybean?

in my experience, they have the highest random r/w and that is key for booting from the sd cards.

I didn't even bother with the microSD card booting, yo can now write directly over the stock OS. Much faster and frees up my microSD for more storage. It's much faster but seems slower than my droid Razr when doing Animations for swiping to the next homescreen. To the point where it nearly freezes for a second between screens for a few of them. Not sure what causes it yet but it might be a setting somewhere.

The nook OS lasted for a few hours on mine but no regrets flashing to real android :)

Swype on a tablet is so nice!

I finally got mine, and really like being able to dual boot it with the microsd card, and switch back to the nook OS when I am letting my kids play with it so I can set up their own account with some parental control.

Somehow I ended up with a 200 dollar target giftcard and am going to end up picking up another nook I like this one so much. Will probably just leave it stock and let the kids play with that one, and let my folks borrow it when the kids aren't around.

Does anyone know if the nook hd (7") would be a great PDF reader.. for say magazines?

I've been using a nook color for some time and the 7" works great for magazines, but I'm finding I want something bigger. I'm thinking long and hard about picking up a HD+.

I have a iPad 3 or surface pro when I need something bigger... are the text blurred or sharp while reading magazine pdf? I might wait for the new Asus MemoPad HD7... decisions decisions...

Just FYI for anyone that doesn't already know...

B&N is rumored to be shutting down their Nook division (as far as devices go). That would be why they are cutting the prices the way they are -- they're trying to clear out their stock.

Msg From - doobs

long time lurker here, I wanted to post my experience in the Nook Sales Extended thread but I do not have the post count and was wondering if you could share this for me:

Bought 2 of these, one online and one in store.
Have not tested the one I got online, but the one I got from the store's screen is messed up.
I plugged it into a wall outlet to charge, hit the button on the face of the device. The charging screen showed but it's got all these horizontal lines running across it. Decided to keep charging and wait until this morning. Got up today and checked it's still got the horizontal lines across the screen so I'm going to try to take it back today to swap for another one.

My girlfriend suggested that the horizontal lines may be just sentences. But I assure you, they are graphical errors.

Hope everyone else is having more luck!

Back