Nook HD+ or Alternative, couple quistions???

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
Now that the Nook HD+ is on sale I was thinking of getting one. A 9 inch tablet for just $149/179. Seems like a wonderful deal. Plus it can be rooted and custom firmware installed.
Is the Nook HD+ worth it? Is there a better alternative?
Should I save $30 and get the 16gb version and use that savings for a 32gb sd card?
Or get the 32gb version, I then wont be able to get an sd card for a while?
I am really limited to $180 for a tablet, I just want to get the best I can afford. The specs are really good w/ a 1920x1280 display.
I don't plan on buying any books or anything like that, so a pure Android tablet would be best, or one that can be rooted and has custom firmware available.

With the price drop, it sounds like a good deal. Checkout XDA Developers site for more info.

Nook HD is sold at a loss, so the value is unmatched. As long as you don't need a camera, it's the best deal for a 9" tablet. If you want to run custom firmware, get an SD card, but you may not need it at first now that B&N have added Google Play access to the stock ROM.

I got mine for $100 with an OfficeMax $50 gift card. I then bought an Amazon.com gift card with the officemax gift card since I buy tons of crap from amazon.com any way. So I pretty much got the nook hd+ for $50 :D

The Nook HD+ is a great deal. An alternative to consider is the Nexus 7, it's being sold about at $200 for the 32GB unit (yeah, $20 outside you rlimit though).

The Nook HD+ has a really nice screen. The main thing I don't like about the screen is it doesn't have any coating on it to reduce fingerprints and make the surface smoother, it's a bit rough. Buying a screen protector does help though.

The TI OMAP 4470 processor is on the slow side. But I'm able to live with it.

I'm running the stock OS rooted with Nova launcher, it works well. I tried CM10.1 but had weird screen sensitivity issues with the right side of the tablet that I couldn't get resolved (and from the XDA forums it's an issue others experience as well). So I'm sticking with stock.

Next week the new Nexus 7 comes out. So I imagine there will be quite a few people wanting to get rid of their old Nexus 7 tablets right about now.

Well I just got my Nook HD+ 16gb. And I ordered a 32gb and a 4gb MicroSD cards. I bought the 4gb for rooting/custom firmware. I am not going the route of doing the Boot from SD, just seems like a pain to me.

Only question I have at this time is how do I get to a standard style launcher screen?

If I wanted a cheap tablet I'd go with the Nexus 7 at the moment. If I wanted a new eReader I'd get the Nook eInk with Glowlight.

But the Nook HD+ is a nice option in both cases as well. *shrug*

The Nook HD+ is a great deal. An alternative to consider is the Nexus 7, it's being sold about at $200 for the 32GB unit (yeah, $20 outside you rlimit though).

The Nook HD+ has a really nice screen. The main thing I don't like about the screen is it doesn't have any coating on it to reduce fingerprints and make the surface smoother, it's a bit rough. Buying a screen protector does help though.

The TI OMAP 4470 processor is on the slow side. But I'm able to live with it.

I'm running the stock OS rooted with Nova launcher, it works well. I tried CM10.1 but had weird screen sensitivity issues with the right side of the tablet that I couldn't get resolved (and from the XDA forums it's an issue others experience as well). So I'm sticking with stock.

Next week the new Nexus 7 comes out. So I imagine there will be quite a few people wanting to get rid of their old Nexus 7 tablets right about now.
Can you tell me how you got it rooted. I tried the method at XDA and I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if I just cant boot from the SD.
Basicly all I want is to be able to run unauthorized applications, such as the Amazon App store. I have several apps I have purchased for my phone I would like to get on my Nook.

Can you tell me how you got it rooted. I tried the method at XDA and I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if I just cant boot from the SD.
Basicly all I want is to be able to run unauthorized applications, such as the Amazon App store. I have several apps I have purchased for my phone I would like to get on my Nook.

Even if you're rooted, you still need to do some more work to allow apps from outside sources. You can either flash a new config file or alter the database yourself: (see step #5)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=34168454#post34168454

Last edited:
Really like the Nook so far, but I now have a new question.
This tablet has a pretty high resolution screen, however when I go to webpages such as www.hardocp.com its defaulting to m.hardocp.com, how od I get it to view the www website, I checked the settings in chrome and could not find anything to adjust.

Really, I suggest just getting a tablet. The E-readers seem a bit, well, limited.
Get the Nook app, and a tablet.

Really like the Nook so far, but I now have a new question.
This tablet has a pretty high resolution screen, however when I go to webpages such as www.hardocp.com its defaulting to m.hardocp.com, how od I get it to view the www website, I checked the settings in chrome and could not find anything to adjust.

Click on the options button in chrome (the three dots on the upper right). Select "request desktop site" . That should do it.

I've got two of these in house right now- both were $149 with the $50 OM GC I swapped to an amazon GC.

One is going to my daughter for her birthday next month. Not sure about the other. I want to keep it (the screen rez/size is pretty nice) but I don't really need anything more than my Nexus 7.

Click on the options button in chrome (the three dots on the upper right). Select "request desktop site" . That should do it.

Thank you, but that option doesn't work with www.hardocp.com, haven't tried other sites. I did download dolphin browser and it has an option for selecting the "User Agent" Set it to desktop and now it seems all is fine.

I did manage to get my Nook HD+ Rooted. Switched the SD Card I was using and it booted into CWM first time. So now I can install Amazon Apps. :)

@felt Even though this Tablet is sold by a maker of E-Readers does not make it an E-Reader, I now have a fully functional 9" Android Tablet that has really good specs all for just $150.

Back