Nook Color

Reading on a back lit screen is a No Go for me. It's no longer a e-reader, its a crap tablet.

For the spec + IPS Screen. The combination is perfectly fine for standard usage. The microSD and miniUSB ports open up some expansion capabilities.

I read initial response on the net. For the crowd coming from original e-reading environment. Some of their comments are quite understandable. However, read the following.

B&N is not worried about traditional e-readers and can in fact refine the pure e-reader device in future iteration. However, iPad has shown the world there are EVEN more people buying tablets and run ebook-reader-app on tablets.

1. Instead of writing even more e-reader-application on each and every upcoming tablets, B&N might as well put out a reasonable winner and pull those crowd over to its device. Remember B&N is a Content centre. It is capable of both earning margin on device and then follow up with margin on future ebook purchase from the customers.

2. For the price, I have no complaints. Wait for continuous firmware refinement for better device experience.

3. If B&N executes well, it will brighten its own publishing/media related operation and maybe branch into electronic device business in a major way.

Cheers

Edit 1 : I've seen early video clips and some other forums. As observed I think the firmware still require refinement to get the level of smooth multitouch feeling. However, the screen is good. I've compared the video clips of NookColor and other tablets video clips. This is no scientific method except observations from those clips. Looks like I am getting 2 different tablets. I am keen on the screen. For tablets, 99% of the time you need to interact with it through the screen. For some of my intended usage, it is also not entirely private viewing but showing to several persons so the viewing angle is of consideration. BTW, yes I treat it as tablet.

Last edited:
I waited for this to be announced before i pulled the trigger on buying an e reader, which i have wanted for a long time. Soon as i saw this was LCD i bought the regular e ink nook and couldn't be happier. A lot of people like to talk shit about the nook. Thing rocks.

Hi, this is an inquiry regarding content. I search National-Geographic website but could not figure out exact info. Appreciate any info.

1. From the demo, I understand they show National Geographic Magazine.

2. I am looking at those multiple decades of National Geographic Collections to load them all into the NOOKColor tablet. Do you think it is like clicking button to buy and download from the content store? or actually need to buy the physical DVD set and convert it by the users themselves? Currently I am not familiar with actual ebook purchase.

3. I presume I can also load the same content (after purchase) from NOOKColor onto other tablet? Am I allowed to buy 1 time and load into 2 tablets?

Cheers

non-critical side question : on normal desktop we can see various web browsers software being updated continuously. In Android environment, are they updating the web browser in the same way? or newer version only in newer firmware release?

Edit : I just discover the battery is not user replaceable. Oh well this is an issue for users living in far far away land

Last edited:
Reading on a back lit screen is a No Go for me. It's no longer a e-reader, its a crap tablet.

Exactly, if I wanted a screen like that for reading books I would just get an iPad or the new Asus tablets that will be released soon. An eBook without eInk is no eBook IMO.

I have read more postings and done some comparisons.

1. For the features/specification/IPS screen and price, NOOKColor is really one of the most attractive tablets even in comparison to noname/most entry-level tablets on several countries ebay listings. Additional fact that BN will be there for continuous device/services enhancement with support. Plus the 3rd party firmware movement seems to pick up interest.

2. The one minor issue is the smaller screen area. For the combination, I can live with it.

3. The only major issue for me is BN is not available locally (elsewhere in the world). The battery is not user replaceable. And users (who purchased and brought back Nook) have commented that BN will detect location and refuse services. (like insistence of states locations). So this will look like one-time purchase and use-till-decommission situation with no easy/economical way to service. (and maybe can't even work out the ebook issue due to restriction) Oh-well reconsideration time.

Edit : Now that there is an active 3rd party attempt to root and potentially 3rd party firmwares, it means B&N has a potential winner sitting on its hands. The spec is good, IPS screen is great, battery reasonable, price is affordable, most consumers will not modify the official firmware thus B&N can go on with its business, however, most geeks will have other options, so it is good from so many angles. Good product features/options help to build volume, which brings more development into APP Store, which helps in other area..now it all depends on project execution...

Last edited:
Worse than a Kindle as an e-reader and worse than an iPad as a consumer tablet.

It's as if the engineers thought they didn't do a bad enough job with the original Nook, so they made this pointless device just to make sure. :rolleyes:

Back