Nook color owners: Does this worry you?

Not for me... I didn't buy an e-book reader, I bought an android tablet for $200.
I could care less what happens to this market at this point, as long as google continues to work and support android, this Nook will continue on beyond B&N.

On a separate note, I hope B&N sticks around... I like buying school books from them more than Borders.

I think B&N will stick around and will continue selling e-books and trying to compete with Amazon. 22% of the market share really is not that bad I can't see them giving up any time soon.

It's a reminder that I need to strip the DRM off the B&N ebooks I've purchased in the event that I have to switch to a new ereader.

As a Nook Color owner, no this news doesn't mean much to me because I bought it as an Android tablet.

But as a regular Nook owner, yes it is a bit bothersome. I hope they don't disappear...

Like Bill said, the Nook Color would have plenty in it long after B&N goes under thanks to how easy it is to flash. Even the original Nook will be ok since B&N didn't use a proprietary format and allows epub, etc.

Not worried at all, sad that I might not be able to fork out for an NC2 maybe. But I have kindle,nook,and Google books already installed on my rooted NC with CM7. That and I've washed all my books through Calibre and removed the drm :)

I've been looking at getting an ereader (the tablet with a purpose). I was leaning towards the Nook until I saw this.. I knew Borders was in trouble but not B&N. The Kindle needs epub support before I buy it. I believe the ebooks loaned out at the Chicago public libraries have DRM and I want to have that be a seamless process, one where I'm not borrowing an ebook and I'm stripping the DRM.. I'm willing to play by the rules if Amazon will support them.

For now, Sony's ereaders are the ones I'm mostly looking at. Maybe even a retina-burning iPad2 with it's atrocious backlit screen, it supports epub with DRM.

Last edited:
It was only a "cheap android tablet" because of expected ebook sales subsidizing its price. I think that backfired as people are rooting it to buy Kindle ebooks.

It was only a "cheap android tablet" because of expected ebook sales subsidizing its price. I think that backfired as people are rooting it to buy Kindle ebooks.

Not sure about that. Most people I know are buying from the Nook store due to the native epub format. If you want to keep your books forever, as you should be able to, you simply strip the DRM from the Nook book and use it between all ereaders/tablets the rest of your life.
You can convert Amazon's format but it's a mess and a joke.

Well with any luck google just buys the whole project. Then they give us a full official tablet rom for the nc that comes with there book store that just got a whole lot larger sure to the same transaction.
Posted via Mobile Device

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW... let's see what they pull outta their hats in a few weeks. Now we're getting someplace... :D

The guess on the XDA forums is that it's going to be a competitor with the new large e-ink Kindle.

Well the best they'd do is Gingerbread, and they may actually bring 2.3 to the NOOKColor at some point, but it's not a requirement given their narrow purpose for the device. The 2.2 update just released adds a lot of functionality for the millions of folk that own the NOOKColor that don't have the slightest desire to root or install a custom ROM on it - and B&N knows this.

Most likely the new device will have a (potentially) larger screen, probably still IPS or maybe even something better, longer battery life, and probably Honeycomb if they can squeeze a 1280x800 display in that thing since that's what Honeycomb's GUI is really designed for.

Personally, I think they can do it. Whatever they introduce, I wouldn't expect to see it before September, unfortunately. If they can bring it to market sooner, hey, more power to 'em, but the Japanese earthquake sure is putting a lot of plans on skids for long periods of time.

We'll find out in a few weeks I suppose.

Back