Noobs Guide to Better Aim

Killa|3yte

2[H]4U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH7PKuW7mvA

Came across this on YouTube, and thought I'd share. There are a lot of things mentioned in this video that I hadn't really considered. As someone who's always struggled at not sucking at online FPSs, I have a couple of questions.

The video talks about the importance of keeping mouse sensitivity the same in all of your games, otherwise muscle memory isn't worth much. He talks about measuring sensitivity in X inches for a 360 degree turn. For those of you who are really good at games like BF4, do you have any comments? What sensitivity do you use?

Also, if one is trying to keep muscle movement consistent between games, would it not also be just as important to keep FOV the same between games? Isn't this pretty hard to do? I thought that 85 in Skyrim is not the same as, say, 85 in BF3 or BF4. I tend to like 85 or so. What do you use?

Sensitivity is different for each person, you need to play with it and find your sweet spots. For non-multiplayer/competitive games like Skyrim it really doesn't matter.

Sensitivity is different for each person, you need to play with it and find your sweet spots. For non-multiplayer/competitive games like Skyrim it really doesn't matter.
Yeah, pretty much.

Personally, I use a Razer Deathadder at 3500DPI with a sensitivity set at 0.30% in BF4. Not sure what that relates to in inches per 360 but its what I feel comfortable with at the moment from just slamming down the slider. Before, I would play with some crazy high sensitivity in all my games. Now, I look back on it and wonder how the hell I managed to keep on target.

Though, I wouldn't say I'm really good, I have become much better (in my mind - that might be half the battle right there) at all FPS games I've played since I lowered my sensitivity to something more controllable.

I think what the video is saying is that it DOES matter..

OP said:
The video talks about the importance of keeping mouse sensitivity the same in all of your games, otherwise muscle memory isn't worth much. He talks about measuring sensitivity in X inches for a 360 degree turn. For those of you who are really good at games like BF4, do you have any comments? What sensitivity do you use?

If you don't keep your sensitivity the same in each game (he says measure it in Inches to turn 360 degrees in the game) then you won't have the muscle memory to improve your aim.

pretty much saying - make it the same in all yoru games - so you build up that muscle memory. The non-multiplayer games turn into mouse muscle memory practice :)

For BF4 I use the mouse settings recommended by xfactor. His vids are to the point and spell out all the basics you need to start from to get precise mouse input in BF4, but should apply to most fps. If you need to you could tweak a bit more to your satisfaction after getting a baseline.

BF3: mouse settings part 1

BF3: Mouse settings part 2

I'm running 1800 dpi, 1000 polling rate, MarkC W7 Mousefix on my trusty older G5

In BF4 I have raw mouse input on and use 20% sensitivity atm.

If you want guides to being a better BF player I would recommend starting with those by xfactor and his buddy levelcap.

Just use Rockets problems solved.....rely on splash damage

Some people have such good aim you kinda wonder...

Some guy I work with bragged about his 30" monitor and getting ez headshots.

Nicely made video, thanks for sharing.

Is there a way to set universal mouse sensitivity across different games? It would be nice if there was some program or a standard that could be applied to games.

I found it strange that each game required tweaking to try to match acceleration and sensitivity (movement speed). The video says to spend 10 minutes in each game to tweak it the mouse to your liking. Or alternatively using a mouse sensitivity calculator tool mentioned at the 7:55 mark of the video.

I thinik because each game handles the mouse differently, you pretty much have to tweak it on a per-game basis..

for all games that use, like the UE3 engine possibly you could hvae a standard setting - but between game engines and games you have to tweak them all individually

I switched from having a fairly high sensitivity to a low sensitivity and have had very good results. I got a very large mouse pad to help with the switch. I'm at about 17 inches per 360 for my games. In a lot of games I have to do a lot of advanced tweaking because the in game slider isn't setup for low sensitivity. Fa Cry 3 immediately comes to mind as a huge pain in the ass because not only did the game not support low sensitivity in game it also had incredibly annoying negative mouse acceleration that had to be fixed. My mouse supports 2000 dpi, but I keep it at 800 and use a sensitivity of 1.2 in all source engine games.

I posted frankie's guide on the other BF4 thread, it's a good starting point for people who are totally clueless about acceleration settings polling rate etc, but it is a bit over-generalized , there many avago 3090 mice out there, and laser sensors are not that bad if you don't do fast swipes in-game etc.

I switched from having a fairly high sensitivity to a low sensitivity and have had very good results. I got a very large mouse pad to help with the switch. I'm at about 17 inches per 360 for my games. In a lot of games I have to do a lot of advanced tweaking because the in game slider isn't setup for low sensitivity. Fa Cry 3 immediately comes to mind as a huge pain in the ass because not only did the game not support low sensitivity in game it also had incredibly annoying negative mouse acceleration that had to be fixed. My mouse supports 2000 dpi, but I keep it at 800 and use a sensitivity of 1.2 in all source engine games.

how do you manage playing more fast paced source engine games like nuclear dawn and L4D ? I use sens 2.0 + 1000dpi atm ( ~ 27cm/360 ) , I can't be arsed to use 40cm+ anymore, feels soooo slow, plus i like to plant my elbow on my chair's arm rest,the width of my Artisan Hien SOFT L feels pretty adequate now.

I thinik because each game handles the mouse differently, you pretty much have to tweak it on a per-game basis..

for all games that use, like the UE3 engine possibly you could hvae a standard setting - but between game engines and games you have to tweak them all individually

http://www.mousesensitivity.com/ don't forget to use a ruler so you can double-check :)

Last edited:
I used somebody's advice to set the windows mouse speed to 5 spots from left (about centered) and set my G700 to 1100 dpi (as close to the vertical resolution of my 1920x1080 monitor) and have stuck with it.

The only time I have problems is when a game ignores the windows input speed for it's own scaling and I have to adjust the dpi dynamically using the G700 software (my dpi choices are 500 - 800 - 1100 - 1500 - 2000 as I've set them in LGS).

For BF4 I use the mouse settings recommended by xfactor. His vids are to the point and spell out all the basics you need to start from to get precise mouse input in BF4, but should apply to most fps. If you need to you could tweak a bit more to your satisfaction after getting a baseline.

BF3: mouse settings part 1

BF3: Mouse settings part 2

I'm running 1800 dpi, 1000 polling rate, MarkC W7 Mousefix on my trusty older G5

In BF4 I have raw mouse input on and use 20% sensitivity atm.

If you want guides to being a better BF player I would recommend starting with those by xfactor and his buddy levelcap.

Thanks, I will check this out. I'm trying lower sensitivity out. It's a bit of an adjustment. Before I would use relatively high sensitivity and really just pivot at my wrist, not really moving my arm. I'm now using 10" = 360 degrees, and it's quite a bit lower than I'm used to. It works, I just have to actually move my arm now. Will try it for a bit.

how do you manage playing more fast paced source engine games like nuclear dawn and L4D ? I use sens 2.0 + 1000dpi atm ( ~ 27cm/360 ) , I can't be arsed to use 40cm+ anymore, feels soooo slow, plus i like to plant my elbow on my chair's arm rest,the width of my Artisan Hien SOFT L feels pretty adequate now.
It is very easy actually. I use my forearm to make quick movements that require 180 and greater rotations.

The video talks about the importance of keeping mouse sensitivity the same in all of your games, otherwise muscle memory isn't worth much.

Yep. That's one of the first thing i do in a game. Back when i played a lot of quake, i did a lot of tweaking and, while i don't have a measurement, i know that i want to go almost but not quite 180 degrees with one horizontal swipe of the mouse without moving my wrist.

Now i make sure that's how it is in every other FPS i play.

I'll just leave this here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxpakBLPwTE, he's the best i've seen.

Sorry but hate the sniper as main gun people. I had a friend that played just like this but imagine playing Day of Defeat with a onboard graphics card and a crappy 15" monitor at like 800x600 and seeing him spot and nail people over and over again in a blink of an eye. I have never seen anyone play like him before and when we got him to build a real PC he was always tagged a hacker/cheater because he was so good. Bring backs some funny memories when Steam wasnt even around.

Back