Noobish HT link question.

FingerSlut

Gawd
There seems to be some grey area between what the actual HT link speed is for a cpu.

By auto settings my HT link is 2.0 ghz. HT 3.0 on AM3 chips is supposed to support 2.6 ghz HT link. The highest I can get it is 2.4 ghz at the default 1.20 HT link voltage.

I tried 2.6 at 1.30 volts before stopping to post this just to make sure I don't go crazy for a measly 200 mhz.

Dont wanna fry my board but I do want all teh juice I can get.

Anyone got better info on the subject?

I was actually tweaking this for the past 2 days. I can only get 2.4 stable. 2.6 will BSOD. I've done some extensive benchmarking and theres 0 difference between 2.0 and 2.4 in my benchmarks. I would just keep it at 2.4 if you want to push everything to the max but its seriously unnecessary.

Edit:

Just so you understand better. Theres almost 0 difference in different speeds of HT link, however, theres a significant theoretical difference in NB frequency. Running my NB at 2ghz yielded 13.35gb/s of memory bandwidth in Sisoft Sandra while 2.4ghz yielded 15.63 gb/s.

HT link is nothing to worry about. Your NB speed will improve your memory bandwidth and it will OC your L3 cache.

Last edited:
you can hit 2.6ghz on the HT running the voltage at 1.4v but its not recommended.. while yes the socket its self actually supports up to 3.2ghz each way 6.4ghz total or 6400 MT/s the actual chipset its self doesnt..

and like Nova said.. there really is no difference with the HTT overclock.. you wouldnt notice a thing unless you were running say 2 5870's or 2 GTX 480's or maybe a 5970 4GB card.. but other then that it has little effect on anything else..

as far as AMD goes ignore every damn thing you see about memory bandwidth in synthetic benchmarks because its all a load of crap.. there is 0 difference between 1333 and 1600 with the current DDR3 IMC on the phenom II's.. you will only see that difference in synthetic benchmarks..

I got HT @ 2.6GHz @ 1.206V(Default)...NB @ 2.6GHz @ 1.3750V(Default) on my Crosshair III

Perhaps its my psu. Hmm

its not your PSU.. its the board and what it can handle.. what the socket and the processor can do are 2 totally different things from what the actual board circuitry can handle..

Back