Noobie Windows 7 question - Reformatting ever needed?

Kabob

2[H]4U
I've been an XP guy for years, never owned a Vista or Windows 7 machine. I'm looking at building a Win 7 machine and I'm trying to figure out if I need to spend the money on an OEM copy or the "one install only" copy. How likely is it that a reformat/reinstall will be needed with Windows 7? I figure with several years of development maybe they've streamlined things a bit.

Save yourself a few bucks on the retail version and get the OEM System Builder version, which basically comes with no support from Microsoft - that's the difference. You can reinstall it if required, and if you ever do have a problem with reactivation, you're entitled to call Microsoft and tell them to get a new key. Technically it's a one-shot meaning once you activate the System Builder edition, it's "locked" to that particular hardware configuration.

The reason most folks offer to Microsoft if and when they're in need of a "new" key to reactivate is the good old trusty "My motherboard fried, so I had to replace it and now I need a replacement key to reactivate my legit OEM System Builder copy..."

Takes all of 5 minutes on the phone (most of that spent waiting, honestly) and you're good to go.

That's about it. Same Windows, just no official product support from Microsoft, but you're entitled to a new activation key as required as long as you fib a little white lie as just explained, and if it's even necessary. ;)

Rather than taking a chance on reactivating, just grab the Windows 7 Reactivation tool. It backs up your cert file and lets you reinstall, then you simply load up the old activation and reboot.

Oh, so I can reinstall the System Builder version on the same machine over and over if need be? I thought it was a "one and done" sort of thing. That's all I really need, I don't plan moving it from computer to computer, and considering my speed, Windows 12 will be out before I re-upgrde.

I'll take a look at the Reactivation tool as well, do I just back it up to an external device or something?

The information that gets backed up is just a in tiny amount, less than a few megabytes iirc, basically the license files, the xrm-ms digital certificate, and the Product Key itself. I keep forgetting that's possible now... DOH!!! :D

I've been an XP guy for years, never owned a Vista or Windows 7 machine. I'm looking at building a Win 7 machine and I'm trying to figure out if I need to spend the money on an OEM copy or the "one install only" copy. How likely is it that a reformat/reinstall will be needed with Windows 7? I figure with several years of development maybe they've streamlined things a bit.

Hi, kabob983,

You can also use the built-in System Image backup to reinstall Windows 7 when needed.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

OK, so question revision. What's the best method if I have the OS pre-installed but don't have the disc? I'm looking at purchasing the system from a custom builder and I can get it pre-installed (with his System Builder key) or pay a few more bucks and change it to an OEM disc.

If you don't have an actual install disc you can make one from the ISO, obviously:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...nks-English-Spanish-German-French-X86-amp-X64

Lower half of the 1st post, you'll find direct download links to all the Windows 7 ISOs from Microsoft - Digital River is the content provider, licensed by Microsoft to distribute those ISOs, but the source is Microsoft itself. The links are safe and have been verified many times; if you purchase the "Anytime Upgrade" for Windows 7, you'd get one of those links to download the ISOs (or the ones above that section, the "box" files which is just another distribution format of the same media).

Find the specific ISO you require, or get the Ultimate one (which has all versions on it) and then you can modify the ei.cfg file in the \sources directory to create your own custom Windows 7 installation DVD just by altering the one variable in that ei.cfg file (by changing the edition name).

Burn off a few copies if required and you're all set. The ISOs are the same for OEM System Builder or Retail versions - the Product Key is what determines what version gets installed unless you modify the ei.cfg file, meaning if you get the Ultimate ISO and punch in the OEM System Builder key when required, that'll choose the proper edition for you.

My suggestion is that if you can pay a few bucks more and get the real physical media (the actual hologram DVD) from the shop selling you the PC, do it. Then verify the disc and Product Key after you get the machine to ensure it's the real thing with Microsoft so you're not getting a counterfeit copy - if that turns out to be the case (not trying to scare you, just cover all the bases), if you report such a counterfeit to Microsoft they'll typically replace it with a legit one free of charge in return for making the report.

Back