Noob with networking - Fios switch question

conscript

2[H]4U
I've currently got Fios and the Actiontec MI424WR router that I think it standard with Fios for everyone. Well, I'm out of ports, and need to add some. I'm wired via Coax, and running ethernet cable through the house isn't really a viable option.

That being said, I've got two desktops, 3 laptops, Vonage, and soon to add NAS option to my network. Until now I've just run 2 laptops wirelessly, but with adding NAS I need more ports. Based on reviews (mainly on newegg), I was looking at getting the D-Link 8-port 10/100/1000 switch (DGS-2208). Though I am open to other suggestions based on any personal experience (need 8 ports though).

My real question is two fold. One, is it as simple as running a network cable between the switch and actiontec router and just plugging everything into the D-link switch? And two, if it si that simple, do I use a regular network cable or do I use a crossover cable between the two routers?

I guess lastly, though I think I know the answer, to mazimize the gigabit switch, do I need to use Cat6 cables between all the devices, or will CAT 5e work just as well?

Thanks alot, I've searched and found bits and pieces of answers to my question, but figured with as helpful as this forum has been for the last 9 years, best just to lay it all out exactly to fit my situation to get a definitive answer. (and yes...9 years here, and I'm this much of a network noob. Never really had a need to run anything other than my own computer, maybe a laptop...then you get married, have kids, etc etc...and all of a sudden I'm running a small university here ;) )

Thanks in advance guys for your time.

1) Yes
2) A straight through network cable will suffice
3) CAT5e supports gigabit speeds, so it you already have Cat5e cables, you can use them. If you are purchasing new cables anyway, just purchase CAT6. The cost difference is minimal.

This article perhaps describes the difference between Cat5e and Cat6 the best: "While Cat5e can support gigabit speeds, Cat6 is certified to handle gigabit Ethernet."

yea, I found a bunch of CAT6 cables for sale on amazon that had pretty good reviews and were pretty cheap, so ordered a bunch tonight, along with the switch. Thanks again to both of ya for your quick responses.

In my new office we plan to use Cat5e... for the main reason that it installs a LOT quicker. Cat6 is great, but its also more of a pain to punch down, as it has a center plastic divider that you have to cut as well. Plus the cables themselves are thicker making it a little tougher to punch down. Not TOUGH but still a little harder then regular cat5e.

Back