Noob Video Driver Question

djnes

Fully [H]
I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 on an HP dc7100 tower. It uses an Intel 915 chipset with integrated graphics. My resoltuion choices out of the box only go up to 800x600. Are there drivers available from the Package Manager, or what would I need to download and install to enable a larger resolution? My LCD has a native res of 1280x1024, which is what I'd like to be using.

did you run xorgconfig?

i run FreeBSD on a DC7100 SFF, and i had no issues until i bought a 22" widescreen LCD. with a resolution like 1280x1024, you should have no issues.

btw, when you run xorgconfig, choose the i810 driver. its been constantly updated, but never renamed.

I'm getting a command not found. Do I need to run this with the su command first?

Search "915" in the repos. Make sure you enable all sources. You should see something called 915resolution, or something... Install that, then reboot/restart x.

Worked on a laptop with GMA950 graphics for me.. Desktop should be the same..

Yeah, I used 915resolution to get 1680x1050 support for my LCD. Basically, you're just replacing one of the known video modes with your new one, and then all should work well.

I found the 915resolution, and installed it. Then I rebooted the PC. Now I can go up to 1024x768, but that's it. It's definitely more usable now, but it's still not the full 1280x1024.

have you edited the 915resoultion config file? you need to write into it what display you want

on my Dell-D620 at work it is a widescreen lappy and I have to do that (each boot mind)

yer its a pain but xorg only just found a decent way round it (multimode) so the next xorg update will have this chipset fully supported, as opose to VBIOS frig

Back