Noob question on a damaged wire

MikeND05

n00b
Hey all. I bought a Seasonic SS-500ES (OEM, from Newegg) about five or six months ago, and when transferring it into my new system yesterday, I noticed that it had a broken wire in the 24-pin ATX cable. Everything comes on fine, but I am having errors trying to do a fresh install of Windows on my clean hard drive, so I'm thinking the PSU has to be the problem. It was probably there from the beginning, but my old PC had so many problems that I didn't even think of it.

Is this something that would come under warranty from Seasonic, or would submitting an RMA request be a futile effort?

I'm partly confused because the Seasonic website seems to imply that OEM products are not warrantied, but Newegg's listing says that it has a 3-year manufacturer warranty.

Thanks!

Here's a photo of the wire

Last edited:
That's just a ground wire so it shouldn't really matter, but in any case, the PSU should still be covered by warranty. Try contacting Seasonic's tech support and see if they will RMA it for you. The worst that could happen is that they say no.

Yeah, I had initially figured ground wire, but then got the BSOD when trying to install the OS...twice. Not sure where else the problem could lie, since everything is new except the PSU and the DVD drive.

Sounds to me someone has to make this good. You bought this with the understanding that there is a three year warranty. Before trying to fix it, I would contact Seasonic about a RMA and if that doesn't work Newegg. These manufacturers and resellers can't make warranty claims that aren't going to be honored and expect to stay in business so contact them and see what happens.

As for your BSOD errors I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it doesn't have anything to do with you PSU since that wire is only and extra ground. Remove all unecessary hardware and try installing Windows again.

Thanks, everyone. I did get Windows installed, and haven't had any problems since.

Thanks, everyone. I did get Windows installed, and haven't had any problems since.

yeah that wire isnt part of anything special... the gauge is wrong: all of the other cables used by that PSU are higher grade.

Where is it coming from?

Back