Noob Question: Is it possible to "drain" a power supply?

Deathsp1t

n00b
I have an odd problem,

My computer no longer boots (at stock) settings, unless I unplug all my cathodes and my fans. And if i plug a USB device into the motherboard when the computer is on, it restarts itself.

I have an Antec NeoHE 550W PSU, with an 8800GTX video card. The +12V PCI-E's i believe are rated at 18Amps a piece so they comply with the cards 28Amp requirement. But is it possible with all my devices (hard drives etc.) + the 8800GTX that i have damaged or drained this power supply? Or should I be looking for another source of my problems?

Any help is appreciated.

The PSU is not too weak from the information given. The inverters on cold cathodes are really really bad items, that coupled with the USB issue seems...odd.

What is the exact system specs?

System specs are in sig.

All my problems started happening around last week, when i was getting random blue screens and restarts. I checked the memory (memtested each stick then both sticks in dual channel) and un-overclocked the processor (optimized bios defaults). Then i started to notice that my computer was no longer POSTing with any usb devices plugged in, or with the sound blaster X-fi gamer I added.

So far with all the devices un-plugged it POSTs fine, but about 5 mins ago I had a lock up in windows while using adobe illustrator.

Another thing to note is that my Vcore in CPU-Z is going from 1.185 ~ 1.253 which seems odd and low.

I know with my DS3 and e6400, it does the same thing with the voltage when I leave everything on auto. I was getting random restarts at stock settings, and I turned the voltage to the stock 1.3 something. Running for 3 days straight now at stock everything. Stable so far. I'll be back up to 3.5 once my fillport arrives. :p

Also, if that doesn't work. Try unhooking your 8800gtx's power so it runs in low power mode. See if that helps with your stability at all. Games will run like crap, but it won't stress your PSU as much so you can try to rule out the PSU being weak.

Minimum Config such as fail-safe bios options? Or minimum config such as 1 HDD, vid card, cd-rom?

I have not tried fail safe bios yet.

And I am typing right now with only one of my HDD's plugged in and no USB devices.

Also, if that doesn't work. Try unhooking your 8800gtx's power so it runs in low power mode. See if that helps with your stability at all. Games will run like crap, but it won't stress your PSU as much so you can try to rule out the PSU being weak.

Booting with bare minimums i can 3dmark06 and play Burning Crusade for a couple hours (did that to test last night).

So I'm fairly sure that i just destroyed this PSU by stressing it with all my devices.

Booting with bare minimums i can 3dmark06 and play Burning Crusade for a couple hours (did that to test last night).

Ok then start adding back devices one at a time...and see if you can't narrow down what the problem is. I haven't used that board personally but you may want to try Sloth's other suggestion as well.

Well.....

System booted will all my devices installed/attached, and turning auto vcore off and setting it correctly seems to have worked great. :D

Maybe after i finish some homework I will attempt to re-overclock it :cool:

Thank you all for your replies.

Turns out my overclock was drawing an additional ~80watts from my PSU. So when i had everything plugged in it was not providing enough power.

So, I'm in the market for a new PSU, 650W > :mad:

Amperage is what you want, not wattage.

Try a corsair HX 620. It has 50a on the +12v, it's quiet, modular, and it's pretty cheap at this time (with approriate rebates and a bit of looking)

Turns out my overclock was drawing an additional ~80watts from my PSU. So when i had everything plugged in it was not providing enough power.

So, I'm in the market for a new PSU, 650W > :mad:

You know it was drawing an extra 80watts how?

I found a online power supply calculator, not the best resource ever but it is something.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

According to this my normal usage is 551W (go figure :rolleyes: ) and with the overclock its 628W. Like i said its not the "best" source, but it would explain why when i plug in a device that requires power, my computer restarts.

Anywho, ordered this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341003

20 Amps on each +12V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...2.2+and+EPS12V+850Watts+Power+Supply+-+Retail

I found a online power supply calculator, not the best resource ever but it is something.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

According to this my normal usage is 551W (go figure :rolleyes: ) and with the overclock its 628W. Like i said its not the "best" source, but it would explain why when i plug in a device that requires power, my computer restarts.

Yeah that isn't right on your usage...........I would have done the trouble shooting completely before I bought anything.

Back