noob PS3 question

drdeutsch

2[H]4U
So I'm finally about to get a PS3. Been doing some research about it, but still have some questions.

First, I live in Taiwan. The PS3s they sell here are manufactured in Japan. Knowing that, I've got no problems, because:

(1) The PS3 is region-free for games. Certain games may have region encoding, but most of them have no problems, correct?

(2) Bluray Disks have regions (A, B, C), but North America, Japan, and Taiwan are all Region A, so I should be able to watch bluray disks no problem, right?

(3) Regular DVDs are still region encoded. Not a problem, as I have a DVD player.

One thing I'm not sure about, however, is playing online. Let's say I get my Japanese PS3 and a copy of Street Fighter IV (US Disk). If I want to play online... will I be limited to Japanese servers because of the PS3, American servers, because of the disk, or no limitations?

If someone could confirm (1) and (2) and clarify the online servers dilemma, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

So I'm finally about to get a PS3. Been doing some research about it, but still have some questions.

First, I live in Taiwan. The PS3s they sell here are manufactured in Japan. Knowing that, I've got no problems, because:

(1) The PS3 is region-free for games. Certain games may have region encoding, but most of them have no problems, correct?

(2) Bluray Disks have regions (A, B, C), but North America, Japan, and Taiwan are all Region A, so I should be able to watch bluray disks no problem, right?

(3) Regular DVDs are still region encoded. Not a problem, as I have a DVD player.

One thing I'm not sure about, however, is playing online. Let's say I get my Japanese PS3 and a copy of Street Fighter IV (US Disk). If I want to play online... will I be limited to Japanese servers because of the PS3, American servers, because of the disk, or no limitations?

If someone could confirm (1) and (2) and clarify the online servers dilemma, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I think that you will play on servers based on where your PSN account is created.

The servers thing depends on the game. Killzone 2 lets you pick what region you want to play in, others like NHL 09 just matchup everyone from around the world. Since it's a fairly small target market it works well unless you get a team from Europe who wants to play.

I have no experience for SFIV so I can't say how it handles matchmaking.

You won't be limited online aside from the connection but as far as dlc goes you'll need to purchase the pack from the PSN store associated with the game you have i.e. U.S. SF4 disc with dlc purchased from U.S. PSN store.

Back