noob: OCing 6800 GT, and doing more

option141

Gawd
Ok, when i buy my 6800 GT, i have plans to have the core @ 425, and the memory at 1.2.

Since i have never OCed before, I was wondering if these steps are the steps i should take to accomplish this:

OC to 400 Mhz and 1.1 RAM.
-once i find out the card is stable running @ these speeds, I will move on to the next step.

Flash the GT to an Ultra.
-using the instructions on that nice ''Flash your GT to an Ultra'' thread.

??Get new cooling (i dunno about this...should i get a new fan or a new heatsink...?)

OC the new Flashed ULTRA to 425 and 1.2.

My main consern is: do i need new cooling on the card if i go that high? I would kinda imagine so, but i'm not sure.

Imput is greatly appreciated

Without new cooling your going to run into some problems getting it even close to that high. With one Molex I dont see it being very easily acheived...

i'd say the biggest problem would be getting the RAM to run at 1.2GHz. that seems much more rare than folks with 425+ MHz core overclocks.

Ya the ram is an issue as well unless your ordering a Gainward 6800 GT Golden Sample, only GT I know of with 1.6ns ram.

So the only thing that seems possible is flashing it to an ultra... =/ if i wanna go higher, need an ultra with 1.6ns ram.

i thought the GTs had 1.6ns ram though?

nah, the GTs get 2.0ns RAM. even some of the Ultras have 2.0ns right now, so even then you might have a hard time hitting 1.2GHz on the RAM.

funky.

anyway to guarantee you get 1.6ns in an Ultra...?

or do i just need to wait till i see a trend

i think the BFG 6800U cards are 1.6ns RAM. the Leadtek and Asus cards appear to be 2.0ns though.

you sure about BFG...because i really wanted a 6800U BFG...but i heard about that RAM stuff so i started getting nervous =p

felix, would you mind contacting me on aim so i could ask some question?

Back