Noob needs help finding FPS for offline gaming

TheArTcher

Limp Gawd
The last time I tried gaming was HalfLife. I got bored with it in a couple of weeks. I'm ready to try gaming again and would like to try an FPS like Battlefield or Modern Warfare. The problem is that most of the time I won't have an internet connection.

Seems like all games require an internet connection now. Is that true? Is there anything out there I could try?

TIA,
Artcher

I would look into Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 1&2. They're military shooters like Battlefield and Modern Warfare, but with much longer campaigns and they came out before everyone decided to make their games require an Internet connection.

Really, a lot of the Tom Clancy games have a heavy singleplayer campaign emphasis, so if you look through the slightly older games in the collection (i.e. before Ubisoft went insane), you might find something to interest you.

Deus Ex Human Revolution
DX:HR is not an FPS. Or it barely is. Ok, it technically can be an FPS if you choose to play it a certain way (and by this definition, Skyrim could be considered an FPS as well...). I just found it ill-suited for that playstyle.

Great game overall though, if one were willing to break out of the pure FPS requirement.

DX:HR is not an FPS. Or it barely is. Ok, it technically can be an FPS if you choose to play it a certain way (and by this definition, Skyrim could be considered an FPS as well...). I just found it ill-suited for that playstyle.

Great game overall though, if one were willing to break out of the pure FPS requirement.

FPS = First Person Shooter. Skryim does not have guns(bows/crossbows do not count) so no it can't be considered one.

OP, try CoD4, it has a decent story. WaW can keep you occupied for a while as well(A lot of missions that are quite fun). Rage is decent, I found it to be kinda fun and it can be had for pretty cheap now. Also check out the STALKER series, great games.

Here we go:
Rage.
Dead Space 1 and 2 (technically a third person, but awesome games)
Any Call of Duty games.....(please don't hate on me)
Any STALKER games.....(have RPG elements, but still are FPS as well)
Metro 2033
FEAR.....1.2.3
as the other guy said......Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter.....1 or 2.

Now, some of these may require on-line to activate, or download from Steam, but then you can pretty much be offline to play.:D

FPS = First Person Shooter. Skryim does not have guns(bows/crossbows do not count) so no it can't be considered one.

OP, try CoD4, it has a decent story. WaW can keep you occupied for a while as well(A lot of missions that are quite fun). Rage is decent, I found it to be kinda fun and it can be had for pretty cheap now. Also check out the STALKER series, great games.
I don't know about you, but I shot way more arrows and bolts during my time with Skryim, than the number of bullets I shot in DX:HR :D (which amounted to exactly zero in Missing Link, plus whatever bullets I shot during the "forced" section where you don't have a stealth option).

I don't know about you, but I shot way more arrows and bolts during my time with Skryim, than the number of bullets I shot in DX:HR :D (which amounted to exactly zero in Missing Link, plus whatever bullets I shot during the "forced" section where you don't have a stealth option).

I shoot a lot of arrows in Skyrim also, so many I downloaded the mod to craft my own arrows. :eek:

While I don't consider Skyrim an "FPS" I do love the fact that is has a first person perspective when you do play. Otherwise, I don't think I would have put as many hours in it as I have.

I would look into Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 1&2. They're military shooters like Battlefield and Modern Warfare, but with much longer campaigns and they came out before everyone decided to make their games require an Internet connection.

Really, a lot of the Tom Clancy games have a heavy singleplayer campaign emphasis, so if you look through the slightly older games in the collection (i.e. before Ubisoft went insane), you might find something to interest you.

GRAW 1/2 PC are actually rather decent. I would consider them lighter tactical shooters, so I would not lump them into the same category as Battlefield/CoD, especially offline. Where as BF/CoD are linear games where you kill hordes of bad guys, GRAW 1/2 requires a bit of thinking before charging out into the open. Otherwise you'll get your team mowed down in a few seconds.

If you want a true tactical shooter, I would look into Rainbow 6: Raven Shield. Don't bother with Lockdown as it is trash. Vegas 1/2 are okay if you are into action shooters. SWAT 4: Gold is similar to Raven Shield, though with more modern graphics.

If the OP is not interested in tactical games, I would look into the Mass Effect series. They are action RPG/shooters with a great story. I would also suggest Dues Ex Human Revolution for the same reasons as Mass Effect.

If you're into linear shooters, look into Max Payne 3 (PM me, I have some for sale) and Alan Wake + American Nightmare. I would also look into Far Cry 2, Metro 2033, and Red Faction Guerrilla and its sequel Armageddon. BF3 offline is very linear and short. It is actually decent, far better than the CoD games though it is extremely short.

Also I noticed no one recommended Portal 1 & 2. While they aren't "shooters" they are still very fun to play through the single player. If you're any good at puzzle solving, it shouldn't take you too long to complete but it's still entertaining.

RAGE is my favorite, FPS w/ guns that has come out in the past year. I recently gone back to playing it on Hard. Trying for all the achievements on steam.

Serious Sam 3. Good fun. Uses steam though so you need to make sure it plays nice with offline mode.

Serious Sam 3. Good fun. Uses steam though so you need to make sure it plays nice with offline mode.

It does. My internet access sucks balls, so I use offline mode quite a bit and I beat the game while offline.

Another vote for Dead Space. While third person, I just beat it yesterday for the first time and it blew me away. It is a damned good game. Just make sure you disable Vsync, or the controls suck.

It does. My internet access sucks balls, so I use offline mode quite a bit and I beat the game while offline.

Another vote for Dead Space. While third person, I just beat it yesterday for the first time and it blew me away. It is a damned good game. Just make sure you disable Vsync, or the controls suck.

If I recall, you need to ENABLE vsync in the nvidia control panel for DeadSpace1 for the controls on the KB/M to work correctly?

I haven't played in a while, and I never use vsync, so it was peculiar for me to do so.....which makes me think that was the case.....if the OP buys the game, I'd simply google that?

I think you DISABLE vsync in the game options and ENABLE it in the control panel.:D

The CoD games have decent single player campaigns, but they are very short. If you are looking for something to keep you occupied for a while they aren't a good value.

Not a FPS, but Warhammer: Space Marine is a fun game that will give you a couple good hours of fun and there truly is nothing more satisfying than killing orcs up close and personal with a chain sword.

The last time I tried gaming was HalfLife. I got bored with it in a couple of weeks. I'm ready to try gaming again and would like to try an FPS like Battlefield or Modern Warfare. The problem is that most of the time I won't have an internet connection.

Seems like all games require an internet connection now. Is that true? Is there anything out there I could try?

TIA,
Artcher

hmm if you didn' tlike half life i'm not sure what kindof fps you would like..

i would start with the Portal Series, they are the best of the best when it comes to pure single player FPS and they are cheap - different than any game you've played.

Steam is required but get them but just put steam in offline mode and no internet connection required- 1 and 2 should give you plenty of game time.

Stear clear of the "big name" fps as those will be very similar to the half life you played and didn't like

if you like them then also check out The Ball..

if you want to check out a shorter FPS then check out the Max Payne games (I havne't played max payne 3 but 1 and 2 are superb).. not really FPS but same style.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I didn't realize that you guys consumed these low cost games like movies. Play till you win and move on. That really fits my interest level more than these big team games that people play for months or years.

Many of the games say "stream required". Does that mean a continuous connection to Steam is required? I can't find anyplace that just says what's required in detail. I realize that you have to download and install the Steam software to get some of the games to run but the game descriptions don't make it clear if you can then sever the connection for single player mode.

From the recommendations by Shadowspawn and featsdontfailme, these games can be played offline, usually after an online activation:

Serious Sam 3
Rage.
Dead Space 1 and 2
Any Call of Duty game
Any STALKER game
Metro 2033
FEAR.....1.2.3
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter.....1 or 2.

Not sure about the others, but I'm still looking.

Artcher

Many of the games say "stream required". Does that mean a continuous connection to Steam is required? I can't find anyplace that just says what's required in detail. I realize that you have to download and install the Steam software to get some of the games to run but the game descriptions don't make it clear if you can then sever the connection for single player mode.

Artcher

Well. The "steam required" generally means it's an activation thing, and then you can go "offline"......
the nice thing about steam IS the offline mode they offer. No need to be connected once you patch and activate the game.
You might get a pop-up about the cloud-sync to save settings, but that's about it.:D

Back