Noob Home Net - Help with Permissions

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have 2 Win 7 machines. A laptop (wireless) and Desktop (wired)

I have a TP Link Archer C2300 router with a WD Passport Ultra 3 TB External USB HDD connected via the USB 3.0 port on the router.

I configured the USB Sharing in the router settings, and when logged onto the desktop, can access the external drive. However, when I try to access it on the laptop, I get the following Network Error:

Windows cannot access \\drivename. You do not have permission to access \\drivename. Contact your network administrator to request access.

Now, both (2 different accounts mind you) accounts that I log onto the laptop and desktop are "admin" accounts.

Is this the issue? Should I make the same account on both machines?

I just don't understand this, I don't get prompted for the logon when trying to access the drive from the laptop, even though I have the drive shared to all, just read only for the visitor account

Fixed once I joined the homegroup with the laptop :)
Glad you figured it out. I almost threw up when I read what the solution was. I've never had to add a pc to a homegroup to access a share. Seems like a poor implementation on the manufacturer's part. Again, glad to hear you got it going :)

Glad you figured it out. I almost threw up when I read what the solution was. I've never had to add a pc to a homegroup to access a share. Seems like a poor implementation on the manufacturer's part. Again, glad to hear you got it going :)

Just about every USB attached shared drive in a router is poorly implemented ;)

@OP - be aware that by using the USB3 port you are most likely negatively impacting your 5GHz wifi speed and range.

Back