noob here: how do I insert the PETG pipe all the way?

mrjayviper

Weaksauce
might be best explain with a pic (see below)

• I cannot push the tube all the way. The "o-ring" seems to be getting the way. I thought of using sandpaper (fine grit one) to reduce the tube width a bit.|

• But I could be doing it wrong too. Any ideas on how do it properly and safely so I don't break the tube.

• I bought this style of fitting because according to what I've watched/read, I don't need to use the chamfer tool on the tube. But I do have a chamfer tool on the way. It just hasn't arrived yet.

Thank you.

----

pics: https://imgur.com/a/G0oaWiO

Attachments

• aqv5e3c71ss71.jpeg
    aqv5e3c71ss71.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 0
I have not done a hard tube build yet, but I am guessing you have a tolerance stack up issue.

I don't believe you should need to modify the tube or the fitting.

It is more likely the tube than the fitting that is off. Try another side of the tube maybe? Could be just tat portion of the extrusion that is off?

Some fittings have the oring rest against the end of the tube rather than going around the tube. I would need to see the tube in the fitting to know what kind it is for sure. If it doesn't look like there's enough room around the tube for an oring with the tube in the fitting, it's likely supposed to be on the end.

Alternatively, it could go like this (does seem to resemble this style, based on the photos):

Put the collar on the tube, threads facing the end, then the ferrule. Slide them near the end of the tube, and begin tightening the threaded fitting onto the ring. The ferrule should crush down onto the tube and create a seal (be sure not to over tighten as it can damage the fitting and the tube). I'm not sure where in the assembly the oring would go, or if it matters—I haven't seen an oring used in that type of fitting (it's usually used on copper pipe). It's possible the ferrule is omitted on softer tube like petg and the oring is used in it's place.

Edit: s/collet/ferrule/g

Back