noob help: stock android on VZW?

Slartibartfast

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm a total phone n00b but am in the market for a stock android I can use on VZW. I'm trying to keep it under $300, which I know will be very limiting but I'm ok with that. I'm also fine with buying an older phone. I live in Canada and have a VZW Canada+ plan, which means I get non-roaming coverage here, but I only get 3G data. I mostly use my phone for texting and navigation, and some simple games. I don't really take pictures, so camera quality doesn't matter.

I'm sort of lost as to where to begin looking though. There are tons of different phones on amazon but most seem to be GSM - last I new VZW was CDMA? Is that still the case?

Anyway, any guidance or pointers to guides would be very much appreciated. thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, Verizon still uses CDMA for voice, 1x and 3G data, so you can't take any phone that doesn't have their logo on it and use it on their network (sad I know).

Your best bet with your price range would probably be a used Galaxy Nexus (Samsung i515). You can find them on Swappa and other places used for $160-$200. My old Gnex worked great for everything you're concerend about and also only has a mediocre camera! The only known issues with it are somewhat weak reception and mediocre battery life. If you keep a charger around and in the car though, you will be fine.

Or if you want to spend a bit more and get closer to your limit and are willing to root/ROM your phone, get a used GS3 for $300 or so. But the ONLY Verizon phones to have stock Android on Verizon were the OG Droid and Galaxy Nexus. So the Gnex is really your only choice if you don't want to root/ROM the phone.

Back