Noob help please.

MattWeb

Limp Gawd
I'm in the process of building a new computer and want to use the HDD (120GB) out of the old computer.It's in good shape and dont really see any reason to replace it yet. Not to mention everything is the way I like it on there.

Is there a way to do this where XP will actually boot? or is my only course of action to buy a new HDD and XP again?

basically just hook it up in the new computer and see if it will boot into xp...alot of times youll get a bsod saying inaccessible (spelling) boot device...
if you get that just reinstall xp and you should be good to go

yes almost all of the time when you use an old hd on a new machine (if it already has stuff on it) you will get a boot error or something like that when you boot up

Maybe you should think about buying a new HD. That way your computer is up to date in hardware and now you have two comp to play with.

If you follow the guide that Phoenix86 posted, it should work fine. You'll need to load the new drivers for your new hardware once you boot the new PC, but it will work. It's pretty simple to do as well.

Thanks for the replys :cool:

Unfortunatly the HDD came out of a Compaq which we bought several years ago.It came pre-loaded with windows XP. No disks :(

I'll just pick up a new HDD and a new copy of XP. Unless of course i can find a corporate copy around here somewhere. *scratches chin* ;)

use your old HP box as an experimental box and put some linux distro or a folding box. Take advantage of the usable box and expand your computer horizon!!! :cool:

Take your current 120GB and make it an external hard drive. Then buy a new one for your new build and copy all the data from ur external hard drive to your new one.

Back