non web based e mail

SerialThriller

Limp Gawd
one thing i dont understand is if i want to connect to a non web based mail server i should only need the IP address right? since there is no site the mail is on but rather themail is just in________?

if you have a hosting account or something the settings you would use in "insert email client name here) are probably as follows

incoming server: yourdomain.com
outgoing server: yourdomain.com OR your ISPs outgoing mail server depending on the host

your login info would be the same as the web based email

XOR != OR said:
Or imap, the mail proto of choice. :)

proto?

also, what i'm trying to do is get a set up at home where i can access a friend's email which is (i think) on a private network. And i am not sure of how i would connect to the VPN server to get that mail...

Any ideas?

probably can't depending on how their private network is set up.... hence the "private" part!

nah, i mean the friend belongs to the company and connects to the VPN at work....just can't do it at home cuz it is not set up that way.

I am wondering how it is i would connect to the VPN from home and what info i need to do that....?

SerialThriller said:
also, what i'm trying to do is get a set up at home where i can access a friend's email which is (i think) on a private network. And i am not sure of how i would connect to the VPN server to get that mail...

Wait a minute..... Why ask us here? Why not just call the IT department of the company he works for? They would know the exact steps and information needed.

i could do that, but i'd like to know a bit more about it before i do, as in like what numbers i need (IP and what else....?) to connect to the mail server?

Also, do i need a server address to connect?

SerialThriller said:
i could do that, but i'd like to know a bit more about it before i do, as in like what numbers i need (IP and what else....?) to connect to the mail server?

Also, do i need a server address to connect?

No one here can tell you the exact settings needed for the company email system since none of us know how the company has their email setup.

We could go all day explaining how the company *may* have their system setup, but in the end you will have gotten no further since we don't know the necessary addresses for you to connect.

You need to contact the tech support department of the company for that information.

SerialThriller said:
grrr i knows that, just wondering what is typically required for a non web based e mail server...?

Like I said, it depends on how the company has their email system setup. It could be simple like pop3/smtp, IMAP, RPC over HTTPs, or they could require a VPN connection in order to check the email outside of the company.

Contact the IT Department of the company.

i said earlier it was a VPN. But ok, i'll do that and i guess i ought to learn more about the terms you mentioned above.

Back