Non turn-based RPGs for 3DS or Switch?

zamardii12

2[H]4U
So, I love my 3DS and new Switch but I keep downloading demos for games that all seem like JRPGs. I don't like JRPGS; but if there was an RPG out there that didn't have turn-based combat I might invest in it. Perfect example is Final Fantasy 15. I have always disliked all FF games because of the turn-based combat and FF15 turned out to be one of my favorite games of all time with the real-time combat switch (among other things).

Zelda aside (which is more of an adventure game really), are there any RPGs that are maybe like Skyrim (which I already own) or something similar where you are maybe exploring dungeons, different locales, maybe crafting stuff, collecting items, and whatnot?

I know there are a bunch of RPGs that all use that pixel art style but I really don't care for that art style. However if there was a title that was REALLY good i'd be open to it.

While I agree older Zelda is more adventure game, the new Zelda is very much an RPG.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 maybe? You can move around in real time but attacks do have to "charge up". Kind of hard to explain, go look at some Youtube videos.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is kind of a weird one as well. It's kind of like X-COM where you have to find cover. You can run in real-time but only so far and you do take turns much like X-COM.

Monster Hunter Generations is real time. Lots of grinding for bigger and better gear to take down bigger and bigger monsters. You can play with a friend too.

Dark Souls if you don't mind the challenge.

You sound a lot like me, and I've wondered similar things about the Switch and 3DS. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of non-turn-based RPGs on those platforms. Even Xenoblade is essentially turn-based, though it's more of an ATB type thing.

I disagree with Kinsaras about Zelda BOTW being an RPG - there are really no RPG elements in it other than some light crafting and having an inventory. There's no leveling up or skills, really. Fantastic game but I wouldn't call it an RPG.

I tried a game called Ever Oasis on the 3DS and I believe the combat was real-time, so maybe check that one out?

On the Switch, I don't know. Valkyria Chronicles 4 is a great game but it's really a tactics game, not so much an RPG. You do level up characters and equipment but that's about it as far as RPG elements.

Monster Hunter Generations could be sort of considered an RPG, though it's more of a "boss battle" game with random drops and gear crafting. The combat is real-time (and fantastic), so I'd definitely consider checking it out regardless.

It's a shame that the Ni No Kuni games aren't on the Switch, I think they would do really well there. Ni No Kuni 2 I would consider to be an RPG with real-time combat.

I disagree with Kinsaras about Zelda BOTW being an RPG - there are really no RPG elements in it other than some light crafting and having an inventory. There's no leveling up or skills, really. Fantastic game but I wouldn't call it an RPG.

Ok maybe not "Very much an RPG." It's this weird hybrid. Guess I should have worded it differently. It has deeper RPG elements than previous Zelda games but still has that adventure setting at its core.

Try Terraria... it's open world, crafting/building, exploring, great IMO progression system and just addicting fun gameplay. Similar ratio RPG vs Action as Skyrim I think. No story, and graphics might not be your cup o tea... these two things turned me off initially actually, but after giving it a good go of things I got hooked and 200 hours flew by surprisingly quick (mind you, you can beat it in MUCH less time) I play it on PC, not sure how console controls on 3DS are... maybe coming to Switch?

tales of series there are several tales for the nds and 3ds tales of hearts, tales of graces, tales of the abyss
Tales of vesperia is coming to switch soon

HUGE series of games some of them have been on every console.

Back