Non-Touchbar MacBook Pro: i5 vs i7

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to buy a non-Touchbar MacBook Pro. I've pretty much decided on every other option except the CPU. I'm trying to decide if I should spend the extra $300 on the i7 CPU upgrade. I looking into specific differences between the 6560U and the 6660U, and it looks the the only difference is clock speeds. I'm not sure if just a frequency difference is worth $300 extra.

For starters, the base MBP uses the i5-6360U. It can be compared to the i7-6660U here. Aside from CPU frequency, the 6660's GPU is a hair faster but nothing that one could actually notice.

Unfortunately, Apple charges $300 more for a part that is only $100 more than the base CPU. On that basis alone it's hard to recommend.

For that extra $300, you can step up to the touchbar model. This gets you a faster CPU in the i5-6267U (damn Intel's numbering makes no sense) with a better IGP. Also, the RAM is faster and you get two additional USB-C/TB ports.

Top of my head, the only reasons I can think of to get a CPU-upgraded non-touchbar model are:
- You really, really hate the touchbar (after playing with one for a while in-store, I kinda can't blame you there) but are certain the base CPU will be insufficient.
- Battery life is key for you and the non-touchbar's slightly larger battery plus not having to drive the touchbar are factors.

Reactions: Liver
like this
For starters, the base MBP uses the i5-6360U. It can be compared to the i7-6660U here. Aside from CPU frequency, the 6660's GPU is a hair faster but nothing that one could actually notice.

Unfortunately, Apple charges $300 more for a part that is only $100 more than the base CPU. On that basis alone it's hard to recommend.

For that extra $300, you can step up to the touchbar model. This gets you a faster CPU in the i5-6267U (damn Intel's numbering makes no sense) with a better IGP. Also, the RAM is faster and you get two additional USB-C/TB ports.

Top of my head, the only reasons I can think of to get a CPU-upgraded non-touchbar model are:
- You really, really hate the touchbar (after playing with one for a while in-store, I kinda can't blame you there) but are certain the base CPU will be insufficient.
- Battery life is key for you and the non-touchbar's slightly larger battery plus not having to drive the touchbar are factors.

If Steve Jobs were reincarnated and he walked into Apple HQ today, he would command everyone who worked on the macbook touchbar to meet him in the front lobby... where they would be uncerimoniously fired.

:(

But no, i wouldn't recommend that upgrade either.

If Steve Jobs were reincarnated and he walked into Apple HQ today, he would command everyone who worked on the macbook touchbar to meet him in the front lobby... where they would be uncerimoniously fired.

:(

But no, i wouldn't recommend that upgrade either.

You talked to him? Or you knew him personally? Do tell.

You talked to him? Or you knew him personally? Do tell.
If nothing else, he would have kept including the long extension cable and cleaning cloth in the box (no, the new Macs don't come with them) and I'm sure he would have found some way to keep Magsafe.

To actually answer the question: No.

Both are dual core parts. The real world difference will be basically nothing. If you had a very high performance need you'd be looking at the 15" which is a true i7 hyper threading quad.

Ended up going with the base model i5 in the non-touchbar MacBook Pro. Opted to spend money on 16gb of RAM, 512gb SSD, and AppleCare instead.

Reactions: Liver
like this
Back