Non-standard Cat6 RJ45 ends.

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking to put a bunch of extra Cat6 cable to use. I already have a pack of standard Cat6 RJ45 ends but I've found them frustrating to use, especially with solid-wire cable. I have found examples of different RJ45 ends that are designed to make the process easier. I'm curious if anyone has experience with these, and which might be better:

These ends work by allowing you to pull the 8 wires all the way through the front of the connector before you crimp it:
https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Plated-...LPHR/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520694628&sr=8-4

These ends work by using a "load bar" which you put the 8 wires into first, and it maintains the correct orientation as you insert it into the RJ45 end:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...VT0W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520695914&sr=8-2

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It is just a matter of practice. After crimping hundreds of cables I can put a connector on in about 2 minutes if I have a decent crimping tool.

If you have a cheap crimper that might be the source of your frustration.

It's definitely just practice. Even with a cheap crimper after doing it for so long it's a breeze - although even better with a good one.

I have used the first connectors linked where the wire goes through - I do think they would help you out for sure. Easier to tell your order is right and get the sleeve positioned right.

I've used both types and it's just practice but yes, you can get pissed quickly. My only complaint on #2 is my own fault. I've had to install some ends way up high or in tight areas and dropped a few load bars....Then tell me how your day is going...Fuuuu...I`d do reg or number 1.

I went ahead and bought a bunch of the first type. So far they have really made the whole process much easier and dramatically increased my confidence level in each crimp. One thing that is nice is that once you have the individual wires pulled through the front of the connector, you can pull on them all in order to get the other end of the cable as far up into the connector as possible and easily minimize the length of wire inside the connector that is not twisted.

One of my needs was for a length of Cat6 that is approx 321 feet long, whereas spec says max distance is 328, so pretty close to the limit. Using the standard Cat6 connectors it took me 4+ tries on each end to get what I felt was a good crimp, and even then it would only link-up at 100Mbps... I was not sure if that was because of bad crimps or such a long cable. When I got the new connectors, I was able to put the two new ends on each in less than 60 seconds, no do-overs, and the cable linked up at gigabit speeds right away.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
We use the same style of connectors and have for over a decade. We use the platinum tools EZ-RJ brand of connectors and crimpers though. Every one of my techs has one of the tools, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is much easier to teach a new tech how to crimp a quality end, especially a shielded end, with this type of connector.

and even then it would only link-up at 100Mbps... I was not sure if that was because of bad crimps or such a long cable. When I got the new connectors, I was able to put the two new ends on each in less than 60 seconds, no do-overs, and the cable linked up at gigabit speeds right away.

Definitely a bad crimp or ordering. Only 4 wires are needed for 100Mbps opposed to gigabit.

I have played with both of the terminals posted in the OP. They might be liked by some, but I learned how to do terminate without the special terminals and I found them to be either frustrating or slower.

Back