Non-PWM DDC Pump

• Thread starter Deleted whining member 223597
  • Start date
D

Deleted whining member 223597

Does anyone know of a way, other than the 7V mod, to control the speed of a non-PWM DDC pump? 7V renders it basically useless, so I can't use that but running at full speed obviously isn't all that great in terms of noise.

Does anyone know of a way, other than the 7V mod, to control the speed of a non-PWM DDC pump? 7V renders it basically useless, so I can't use that but running at full speed obviously isn't all that great in terms of noise.

Toy could hook up a pot (variable resistor) of the right size to the +12v line going into the pump. This ought to give you a more fine grained control over its speed.

There used to also be fan controllers that would take a PWM signal from a motherboard or elsewhere, and use that PWM signal to volt control fans. Something like that could possibly be done.

How many amps does it draw? If it wouldn't overload a motherboard fan header, and you have a motherboard fan header that allows for voltage control, you could try that too.

I need to double check which exact pump it is, but it's a Swiftech MCP series pump with just a molex connector for power and a 3 pin to read RPM, it can't control the speed with that though. It looks like the Swiftech MCP DDC pumps pull between 1.5-2A.
I thought there might be a molex to molex type controller with a resistor built-in that can alter the voltage.

EDIT: I do have a pump header on my Mobo (4pin) that supports 3A and up to 36W, which would be enough. Can I get a Molex to 4 pin adapter?

EDIT2: Something like this should work right? https://www.amazon.com/3pin-power-4pin-molex-adapter/dp/B000H25PBK
Pump.png

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does your mobo have the option to use voltage control? Or just get a voltage fan controller.
I've ordered the Molex to 3 pin adapter, the W_Pump header should allow voltage control and supports 3A/36W. Should allow me to do what I want. If it works, I might eventually remove the molex connector and just turn it into a 3 pin.

Get a 30w fan controller. The thing with mb controllers is that even though they are better now, without active cooling the controller will eventually die. It's a lot less painful losing a 30 buck controller than the header.

Get a 30w fan controller. The thing with mb controllers is that even though they are better now, without active cooling the controller will eventually die. It's a lot less painful losing a 30 buck controller than the header.
Something like the AQ PowerAdjust 3 should work right? Looks like I could use that if I wanted to add some additional sensors in the future too.

Back