Non-mechanical keyboard recommendation?

Jumpem

[H]ard|Gawd
I have tried several mechanical keyboards and plain don't like them. I currently have a Corsair Strafe RGB with the Cherry MX "silent" switches. they are far from silent.

I find myself going back to my many year old Saitek Eclipse. What is a good rubber-dome keyboard with some gaming features such as anti-ghosting? I would rather not have the extra size that macro keys and additional function keys add as well.

Thanks for any input.

Before you buy a new board with inferior switches, consider getting a bunch of o-rings and doing an o-ring mod on your existing board. I bet you'd like it a lot better then - that would bring back the "squish" when keys bottom out of a rubber dome, and avoid the noise of the key cap hitting the deck.

+1 for the O-rings. You can buy the specific ones you need right on Ebay at $7 shipped for a pack of 125.

I have Cherry Red switches in my KB and they drove my wife crazy. I got the o-rings installed and she hasn't complained once since. She even asked if I had bought a new keyboard when she realized how quiet it now is.

You think you'll be okay with going back to one of those sad rubber padded things, but inside a little piece of you will die every time you try to game or type quickly and you don't get the feedback you're use to. If you type slow or don't game then ignore this :p

FWIW, the best non-mech boards I've ever used are the SIIG Premium Aluminum (wired) and Logitech K750 (wireless). I actually prefer every day typing on these over any mech board.

For gaming, however, I always switch to my Deck w/Browns.

Before you buy a new board with inferior switches, consider getting a bunch of o-rings and doing an o-ring mod on your existing board. I bet you'd like it a lot better then - that would bring back the "squish" when keys bottom out of a rubber dome, and avoid the noise of the key cap hitting the deck.

+1 for the O-rings. You can buy the specific ones you need right on Ebay at $7 shipped for a pack of 125.

I have Cherry Red switches in my KB and they drove my wife crazy. I got the o-rings installed and she hasn't complained once since. She even asked if I had bought a new keyboard when she realized how quiet it now is.

You think you'll be okay with going back to one of those sad rubber padded things, but inside a little piece of you will die every time you try to game or type quickly and you don't get the feedback you're use to. If you type slow or don't game then ignore this :p

If anything, I prefer the feel of rubber dome switches. I certainly type faster and more accurately on them. There is so much hype surrounding mechanical keyboards that I keep trying them again.

Are these the o-rings I would want to try?
.2mm reduction: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_34&smid=ACQC8LGI4Z2S6
.4mm reduction: http://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Rubber...147_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EJZY8FRC3B17C1ARJYJ

I would have to pull all the keys off of a keyboard that I may end up returning just to try them.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That changes things a bit -- I figured you were outside the return window already. In that case, I'd say just bring it back and get something you're more happy with. If you don't like the feel of mechanical switches it isn't worth the price premium for you, and that's ok.

But yes, those are the o-rings you would need if you decided to try the mod.

If you're inside of the return window then it makes more sense to go back to a rubber dome keyboard if you like that feel. The O-ring suggestion was more of a cost saver that would have given you a little more squishiness (0.4mm rings) and less noise. Since you can return it, there's no need to try to save a buck so just get what feels best for you.

I personally prefer mechanical keyboards mainly because that's what I was first introduced to and they last forever if taken care of. I'm a heavy typer at times, so a rubber dome board doesn't give me the feedback I like and I've never spent money on an expensive one to know if they last longer than the cheap ones I have used in the past. I think a lot of people have had bad experiences with poorly made rubber dome keyboards and it helped build up the hype around mechanical switched boards.

I actually prefer the feel of bucking spring mechanical keyboards over cherry switches, but they're usually loud, big, ugly, non-ergonomic, and from the 80s if you're not buying a specialty one; and I'm cheap :p

I got my current mechanical board on sale for $25. It just happened to have Cherry Reds in it and I found them quite nice. It also doesn't have a bunch of extra crap on it. Just the standard keys and a keypad. Otherwise I'd probably still be using something cheap and/or ancient.

Last edited:
Back