non-gaming 19" LCD under $350...suggestions?

Cthulhu

Limp Gawd
it's for my mother in law... she's wanting a 19" (preferrably silver) lcd. no games will be played on this monitor. =) any suggestions?

Nah don't get the hyundai, they're made entirely for quick response in gaming (less ghosting) and are poor in other areas such as viewing angle, color, contrast ect. Pretty much everything important to non gaming tasks.

NEC & Samsung make good non-gaming LCDs. They are often more expencive than "pure gaming" lcds though for the reasons above, not to insult or knock anyones purchase decision. I can't recommend any specific models but since it's not for gaming you have a lot of choices to pick from.

peacetilence said:
Nah don't get the hyundai, they're made entirely for quick response in gaming (less ghosting) and are poor in other areas such as viewing angle, color, contrast ect. Pretty much everything important to non gaming tasks.

NEC & Samsung make good non-gaming LCDs. They are often more expencive than "pure gaming" lcds though for the reasons above, not to insult or knock anyones purchase decision. I can't recommend any specific models but since it's not for gaming you have a lot of choices to pick from.

:werd: yeah, i'm not interested in gaming. so color, contrast...viewing angle... are important.

come on... i know most people ask about gaming monitors, but somebody has to have some suggestions.

Cthulhu said:
how's the black levels on the 1905? i have never heard anything good about black levels on dell lcds.
:(
I'm typing this right now from the 1905fp, and I think the black levels are very good for an lcd. It's 2100FP that has worse than usual black levels. I don't play games on this 1905FP, but with windows and pictures, black is good. The black on the hardforums looks very black to me, but if you turn off the lights and put on a blank screensaver, you can tell it's not pure black like with every other lcd, or even many crts.

Cthulhu said:
it's for my mother in law... she's wanting a 19" (preferrably silver) lcd. no games will be played on this monitor. =) any suggestions?
Not sure which brand, but she probably would prefer one with good viewing angles. Usually the faster response monitors don't have that. Or at least thats what I would use for picking one for my mother.

Back