Non-Deal of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Get a load of this super-awesome bargain! For only $129.99 the Geek Squad will come over to your house and set up your $299 PS3. Or, you can have any teenager in a 1,000 mile radius do it for FREE as long as you let him use it after he sets it up. Worst case scenario, you will have to go it alone and plug in the A/V and power cord yourself and follow a few onscreen prompts. Thanks to Nazaen for snapping the picture.

If you purchase a PS3 but don't know how to set it up on your own, most like you're making a poor buying decision.

WHAT, people do not know how to read a manual. I doubt Sony would include a poorly written one.

This is displayed like a special too, since it expires on like 9/25 -_-

After that, it probably runs $150 :p

Charging $129 is inexcusable. Plumbers and electricians don't charge that much for an hour much less a 5 min job. BB needs to quit ripping off their customers, I quit shopping there years ago in protest.

Where is the BBB on this one? This is ripping off consumers, big time. Sure, Monster Cable is questionable, but that's understandable...

But, $129 to plug in at most 7 cables (component video, stereo output, ethernet, power), or at least 2 (HDMI, power)?! That's highway robbery.

Maybe I should be an ad on Craiglist. Hook up ANY video game system or PC for only $99! That's $30 off the Best Buy price! Amazing Deal!

Well I don't know, if it weren't a friend/relative, I would probably charge at least that just for annoying me instead of RTFM. :p

Any one want me to come over to their house and "install" their analog phone? I "only" charge $99. This includes updating the firmware on the rotary phones and positioning the phone to perfect angle on the table.

Hah! I'd say highway robbery, but I think the highway robbers of yore would be insulted by that remark, as even they didn't ripoff people quite that much.

We all laugh cause its a total ass banging.

But I was @ BB this past weekend, and I con confirm, the line of sheep at the GS counter was mind numbing. To watch those people just throw away money for stuff they could pay a local PC shop 1/2 or 1/4 of the price to do.

The trust the big box store for whatever reason, and that makes me cry deeply inside. Considering I have way more skill and certification than those schlubs and I'd charge $20-30/hr flat rate.

They are creating a market for someone to crush them, problem is, no one has done that yet, and it amazes me as to why.

This looks like BB's Shit squad is hurting for money...

Wow... and this is another reason why i hate BB and the shit squad so much... plus i don't buy from there anymore... www.newegg.com 4tw heheh

cheaper to build and buy your own stuff... but what am i doing preaching to the coir for :D

We all agree here best buy is junk...:D

Wife's Daughter paid for having Comcast hook up the Cable Box. $15 bucks (She's Disabled). Told her I would have done it for free.

But 129 bucks for Hooking up PS3? Scam

I had Stereo put in by Best Buy. Guy could not figure out what parts to get so it could be mounted in Dash (2009 Yaris).

Finally I ordered the parts and had him do the labor. Amazing he did good job, just the computer was beyond him.

DM

I will say that they are helping people setup the parent controls that that is a tad more than just plugging it in, but still $130 is about $110 more than such a service should cost.

This is why I don't feel bad about using BB as a free rental store. I can't tell you how many computer parts and such I've bought there, used for a month, and then returned. Hey, sometimes you've gotta test things out before you order them online.

I will say that they are helping people setup the parent controls that that is a tad more than just plugging it in, but still $130 is about $110 more than such a service should cost.

Dont forget the 1 internet account also. So lets tack on another +5 for wonderful BB

This is why I protest bestbuy and never ever shop there. Funny thing is, unsuspecting rich soccer moms will buy that service to setup their PS3's for their kids.. truly sad..

Caveat emptor. It's a stupidity tax. If someone is willing to pay for that, why not offer them that service?

I doubt anyone even buys that. If they do, then it must be worth it to them to have someone install it for them if they have no idea how to. What if this is a present for a 5 year old kid and the parents have no idea how to hook up anything electronic. It's easier for them to hire someone and do it right instead of them "worrying" about it.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. This isn't illegal and the BBB has no authority to do anything. You can't complain that they are charging too much for something. Price is determinative of many factors: time, gas, wear and tear on trucks, etc.

Therefore, my conclusion is that it is a stupid charge, but let the buyer beware. No protectionism. If you are too ignorant or just can't figure it out, you will pay them (or find someone else who will install it for you).

The words Setup and Configure scares people, its not so friendly sounding as Plug and Play.

I can't believe I'm typing this but I have to side with BB on this one.

If you are just too damn lazy or impatient to read the instruction card or booklet on how to hook up your PS3 to your television then you deserve to be $130 lighter. It's not rocket science, people; follow directions and plug in the cables that fit. Hell, 99% of the connectors on the back of your TV are color coded anyway.

I saw a pretty good deal on a laptop a week or so ago so I went into BB to get it. The laptop was my mother in law and cost $380. Mother in law just wants basic internet and email etc. Laptop I got was perfect for that and pretty darn cheap all things considered. (in fact I couldn't find anything online that wasn't a refurb with the same specs for more than $5 or $10 less so it was worth being able to just get from a brick and mortar store).
In any case there was a guy shopping for a laptop and he had the same basic needs. Just wanted a decent laptop to be able to surf the internet. The BB sales guy was telling him that the other laptops wouldn't do what he wanted as well as the $900 laptop he was steering him towards. I wanted to slap the salesman for being a dick and overselling him. On the otherhand I figure you can't be a hero and save everyone from dishing out their money, so I let the guy get conned into buying it. I feel bad for him and it still bothers me that I didn't do anything to stop the transaction.

There ARE people who will pay for these types of services. Like the ones paying Simon's to deliver their groceries or Jiffy Lube to change their oil. I bet if there were a service to wipe ass, someone would pay for it. Can you imagine that, pay someone to wipe your ass. People are getting very lazy these days.

I used to be a best buy employee. I love how many people complain what best buy charges. These prices exist, because people are willing to pay them. Basically any service best buy offers is a stupidity tax. I put add on craigslist charging a flat rate fee of $99 for computer repair, etc. I get more business than I can handle. lol.

Thats the price of not understanding basic technology. I view it much like taking your car in for basic maintenance, always get jacked by the labor.

I can't believe I'm typing this but I have to side with BB on this one.

If you are just too damn lazy or impatient to read the instruction card or booklet on how to hook up your PS3 to your television then you deserve to be $130 lighter. It's not rocket science, people; follow directions and plug in the cables that fit. Hell, 99% of the connectors on the back of your TV are color coded anyway.

it's worse than that man.....most manuals have PICTURES lol......

I have an old TV with the Antenna wired directly into the TV with no input options, I should just have GS come by to hook up a PS3 to it and when they fail, get my refund.

Wow, 129.99 to install it? Hell, my 5 year old nephew did his he got for christmas last year!

When I worked at Geek a couple years back I used to do this from time to time. Some people just don't get it or don't want the hassle. I love how people in the thread act like Best Buy is putting a gun to people's faces and forcing them to hand over 129. Everyone has a choice to buy the service. I gladly pay to get my oil changed (along with all other car maintenance), have my lawn mowed, my pool cleaned, my house cleaned and any number of other things I could easily do myself.

some people are obviously willing to pay it, why the hell would they not charge it? no one is making anyone pay for it, people CHOOSE to pay for it.

Someone get a RGB scart TV here in the states and have the geeks come out and try to hook up a PS3! Tell them if they can't get it to work you won't pay ;)

I noticed it seems to be a "discounted" price with the purchase of a PS3.
Now imagine home much it would be if it was an xbox 360!

I mean, I guess I can see the annoyance. I bought a blu-ray player not too long ago, and the damn thing didnt come with an HDMI cable. So I had to drive over to office depot and pick one up. Then I ordered one that same day off newegg since it cost like $5 instead of the $30 I had to pay at depot, and returned it later. Point is that was pain in the ass. Now imagine you're some lawyer or doctor with his own practice and you work 12-16 hour days. You're so dead beat tired when you get home and have no interest in video games or electronics, the last thing you want to do is even spend 2 brain cells thinking about any of it. $130 is 15 minutes worth of work for you so you just write off the expense to keep your stress levels from rising when you realize that your kid already used the component cables for his xbox360 and has no more inputs.

I used to be a best buy employee. I love how many people complain what best buy charges. These prices exist, because people are willing to pay them. Basically any service best buy offers is a stupidity tax. I put add on craigslist charging a flat rate fee of $99 for computer repair, etc. I get more business than I can handle. lol.

yup exactly.. it was the same way when i worked for them..

the sad thing is.. ill bet 5 out of 10 customers that buy a ps3 will use this install offer and wont care about paying the 129 dollars either..

People are just scared to even think about going into an options menu sometimes.

I work at Best Buy now, and honestly, people very rarely pay for services like this one. They usually are attached to a sale, with the customer fully aware of what the service does, if someone is dropping like $10k in home theater equipment and they just want everything setup without them having to mess with any of it.

It's easy work, but not for someone that hasn't a clue.

If they can't figure that out they probably deserve getting charged. :D

Nah man. That's not even right. That's blatantly taking advantage of someone for not knowing about it. It's just like mechanics taking advantage of women because they're women and getting away with it. It's immoral, wrong and shameful. I'm not perfect, but I don't take advantage of people in such a manner and I hate to see other people and businesses do it. I don't walk into best buy very often because I don't really like that store and don't want to support them. I'd rather drive to Fry's that's 30 minutes away than the best buy down the street if that says anything.

Back