Non-Deal of the Day: $700 HDMI Cable

they either work perfectly or they do not work at all

Actually this is untrue. Ingress, low signal strength, and too high signal strength can cause digital communications to fail. If you have ever seen panelization on a TV due to bad weather, old cable lines, or just bad OTA TV that is proof. The rest of what you said I agree with tho

Ahhhh Steve...

You missed the good one. :p

Check this one out, this is what should have been in your headlines.

This is a 39.4' Hdmi cable for a low $2,200.99 at bestbuy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AudioQu...hite/1267764.p?id=1218245464814&skuId=1267764

LOL @ the review on that cable.

OK, so when they told me I needed a cable that costs more than I paid for my first car I was skeptical, - but after completing the financing paperwork, waiting 5 to 10 business days to get the loan approved, placing the order then waiting another 3 days for the cable to arrive, I have to tell you this baby is worth every penny I borrowed to buy it. This cable has transformed my viewing experience into something that can only be described as religious. The audio is a mezmerizing whirl of techno soundscapes. The pictures are rendered in colors I didn't even know existed. When I'm watching a cooking show I can I can smell the food in such exquisite detail that I drool with delight. This cable even brings the funny, making SNL and Two and a Half Men the most hilarious shows on TV. Ya'll should get one of these. Your lives will never be the same!

Dudes, I was sitting here in my turkey induced coma, when I started reading this post & now I can't stop laughing. The price & the reviews for that overpriced POS are hillarious, & of course your posts top the cake. My sides are killing me from laughing. Great find.

while analog cables, like component do benefit from 'high quality' materials like silver and gold, honestly, HDMI and other digital connects do not, they either work perfectly or they do not work at all

with digital connections there is no difference on a $100,000 cable and a $10, if the $10 cable makes a connection then it just works

Theoretically, sure, analog could benefit. In the real world, however, the difference is not detectable by the naked eye - at least not in a scientific double blind test. Same thing applies to speaker wire - in a double blind test, even golden ears people can't tell the difference between lamp cord and magical super speaker wire.

Audiophiles, though, insist on a subjective reality where they can hear the difference, and argue the validity of the basic scientific double blind test. Or - they argue they can hear the difference and nothing else matters.

I got pretty tired of hanging out at avsforum for this type of reasoning.

$700? Noobs. Denon AKDL1 bi-directional ethernet cable 4.5 foot -- $9999 new:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-D...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1290890989&sr=8-1

I love this "review":

1.0 out of 5 stars Why did it have to be blue?, June 28, 2008
By Harmless Gryphon (Nowhere worth mentioning) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable (Electronics)
I knew my day was going to improve when the truck pulled up at my home with this cable deep within. No ordinary truck, this one was Holy White, and the gold Delivery logo sparkled like a thousand suns reflected through shards of the purest ice formed with unadulterated water collected at the beginning of the universe. The driver, clad in a robe colored the softest of white, floated towards me on the cool fog of a hundred fire extinguishers. He smiled benevolently, like a father looking down upon his only child, and handed me a package wrapped in gold beaten thin to the point where you could see through it. I didn't have to sign, because the driver could see within my heart, and knew that I was pure. Upon opening the package, an angelic choir started to sing, and reached a crescendo as I laid this cable on my stereo system. Instantly, my antiquated equipment transformed into components made from the clearest diamond-semiconductor. The cable knew where to go, and hooked itself into the correct ports without help from me - all the while, the choir sang praises to the almighty digital god. With trepidation, I pushed "play," and was instantly enveloped in a sound that echoed the creation of all matter, a sound that vibrated every cell in my body to perfection. I was instantly taken to the next plane, where I saw the all-father. I knew with my entire soul, that all was good in the world.

But then I realized the cable was blue, so I only gave it one star. I hate blue.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Who wrote the reviews on there for that? Especially the idiot that said he financed it and had to have Geek Squad come out and install it. I think the most I ever paid for an HDMI cable was $15, and that was for the 25 foot one. All the rest I paid less than $10. No complaints about any of them.

Let me introduce you to this thing called sarcasm...:p

I love this "review":

I'll raise you this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars I Miss the Crazy Malt Shop, October 13, 2010
By spookyhorse "spookyhorse" (Illinois) - See all my reviewsThis review is from: Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable (Electronics)
I bought the Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable for my home stereo to perfectly compliment my cadre of Denon components stuffing my electronics cabinet. Hooking it up, I appreciated the connector featuring a rounded plug lever to prevent bending or breaking (I hate it when those things break). I put on Edward Van Halen's "Eruption" and turned the dial to 11 (naturally). The sonic boom that erupted from my single giant speaker was so intense it blew me across the room and into a pile of boxes. I decided I needed to have equal power in my car. So I cashed in my entire 401K and bought a second cable. I went over to my friend's house, Dr. Brown, who helped me install it into my car stereo. I again turned it up to 11. The sound was incredible, eliminating any adverse effects from vibration and helped stabilize the digital transmission from occurrences of jitter and ripple. The music was so jamming that my foreign neighbor came after me with missile launcher. Accelerating down the local Mall's parking lot to get away, my stainless steel built car hit 88 mph and everything went all Star Wars for a second. Suddenly, I'm crashing into my subdivision's Lyon Estates sign, but there weren't any houses there yet... Harking a familiar tone, I pushed my car behind the sign, and road my skateboard into town. Going over to my grandparents' house, I knocked on the door. Who should answer but my mom! And she's hot (well at least '80's starlet hot) and slutty! She starts hitting on me and asking me to the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance and all this other stuff ensues. The strangest being the family picture in my wallet keeps fading out my brother and sister when I make out with my mom. Thank goodness Doc Brown was still around. He figured out that the Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable had actually turned my car stereo into a Flux Capacitor. Through a crazy series of events, and near misses, Doc's far superior brain calculates that if we ignore the directional arrows that come marked on the cable and install it in reverse, it would send me back to the future. I tried to write my friend Doc a letter and tell him how he would die in the future, but he wasn't having it. Crazy hi-jinx ensues yet again (they were just nutty back at the Malt Shop back in the '50's), but I revved the car up and hitting 88 mph again, Zoom!. Needless to say, I was exhausted after such an adventure. I get home & go to bed. The next morning I wake up, I have a Toyota 4X4 in the garage that's apparently mine and this douchebag my dad knows has waxed it for me. Then my mom comes out and she's all hot, which was awkward considering we now had a history. So, although the Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable gave great sound, it ultimately caused me to crash my 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 supercar, replace it with a crappy Toyota Truck, and I have the hots for my mom. There should've been a warning on the packaging to keep your car under 88 mph while using on your car stereo. So, despite the high-purity copper wire and tin-bearing copper alloy used for the cable's shield AND the insulation is made of a fluoropolymer material with superior heat resistance, weather resistance, and anti-aging properties, I can only give the Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable two stars for screwing up my life.

Thanks for the crazy thread Steve. I'm dead tired at work and this thread and reading these "reviews" is waking me up.

For 700 bux I bet this cable makes your 1s even more 1ish and your zeros so 0 that they actually cease to exist.

If you could get this cable up to 88mph I bet you would travel back in time.

If you were outside the airlock this cable is so smart it wouldn't let you back in.

Who wrote the reviews on there for that? Especially the idiot that said he financed it and had to have Geek Squad come out and install it. I think the most I ever paid for an HDMI cable was $15, and that was for the 25 foot one. All the rest I paid less than $10. No complaints about any of them.

*WHOOSH*

Did anyone check the "Customers who viewed this also viewed" section for that 10 grand wire?

The "Fresh Whole Rabbit" and "Tuscan Whole Milk" are priceless. The rest are just hilarious.

When I bought my 72" Samsung DLP, BB tried to sell me an AudioQuest cable. I nearly shit my pants when I saw the price. Instead, I bought a Monster Cable on ebay for $12. I've since bought them from Monoprice.

I love this "review":

1.0 out of 5 stars Why did it have to be blue?, June 28, 2008
By Harmless Gryphon (Nowhere worth mentioning) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable (Electronics)
I knew my day was going to improve when the truck pulled up at my home with this cable deep within. No ordinary truck, this one was Holy White, and the gold Delivery logo sparkled like a thousand suns reflected through shards of the purest ice formed with unadulterated water collected at the beginning of the universe. The driver, clad in a robe colored the softest of white, floated towards me on the cool fog of a hundred fire extinguishers. He smiled benevolently, like a father looking down upon his only child, and handed me a package wrapped in gold beaten thin to the point where you could see through it. I didn't have to sign, because the driver could see within my heart, and knew that I was pure. Upon opening the package, an angelic choir started to sing, and reached a crescendo as I laid this cable on my stereo system. Instantly, my antiquated equipment transformed into components made from the clearest diamond-semiconductor. The cable knew where to go, and hooked itself into the correct ports without help from me - all the while, the choir sang praises to the almighty digital god. With trepidation, I pushed "play," and was instantly enveloped in a sound that echoed the creation of all matter, a sound that vibrated every cell in my body to perfection. I was instantly taken to the next plane, where I saw the all-father. I knew with my entire soul, that all was good in the world.

But then I realized the cable was blue, so I only gave it one star. I hate blue.

I can't stop laughing at this one...omg...I'm going to pee on myself!!!

Best quote yet.

"This product is literally unbelievable.
The moment I saw the product on this page, I knew it was my destiny to purchase it. When my eyes met the image of its beautiful, coffee-colored surface, I felt an intense physical rush of warm air blowing from the computer screen onto my face, and for a brief, passionate moment I could hear the voice of god, soothing me, consoling me, telling me, "yes. yes. this is it."
After I wiped the tears from my eyes, kissed my children, and momentarily stood silently in reverence of the sublime beauty of this earth, I readied my credit card and entered my shipping information. I clicked the "CONFIRM" button as a choir of angels began singing around me. Immediately, as if hand-delivered by some force unknown to this world, the package arrived at my door.
The product was everything I expected and more. I plugged it into my TV and without any further prompt, I found myself in a crystal-clear, high-definition video chat with my wife Sadie. She passed away ten years ago. After dealing with the resulting intense mixture of shock, confusion, and joyousness, we chatted all evening about our memories, our regrets, and our lives. We got a chance to forgive one another for everything we once did, and we got a chance to say everything that was left unsaid before that tragic day. By the end of the night, were both content with the situation. I told her I had to go, because I also got God of War III and I really wanted to play it, so we said our last goodbyes. This time, however, they were sincere and meaningful. God of War III ran amazingly, crystal clear, it was the highlight of my night.
This product is literally the most important single piece of technology in the history of human invention. There was fire, there was the wheel, there was movable type, there was the airplane, and then there was the AudioQuest Coffee 39.4' HDMI Cable.
What's great about it: this cable seems to have been lovingly hand-crafted by the almighty creator himself
What's not so great: I wish it came in mauve
I would recommend this to a friend!"

I think you missed the sarcasm there. ;)

This my favorite review.
This cable may look expensive at first glance, but you're missing all the unlisted features.
For example, after purchasing this cable I watched the weather forecast for the following day (in spectacular 1080p 3d) was for rain, but amazingly I awoke the next morning to only light showers. Soon after I found out my Mother's cancer had been cured, and global temperatures had dropped by 3 degrees the world over.
Also while I was watching the excellent Batman and Robin movie, I found out they're making another Batman movie. Thanks coffee cable!
Best Purchase Ever.
What's great about it: Oprah-like life changing abilities
What's not so great: Next Batman movie may be terrible like the Dark Knight (no man nipples?)

LMAO best review ever!

This product is literally unbelievable.
The moment I saw the product on this page, I knew it was my destiny to purchase it. When my eyes met the image of its beautiful, coffee-colored surface, I felt an intense physical rush of warm air blowing from the computer screen onto my face, and for a brief, passionate moment I could hear the voice of god, soothing me, consoling me, telling me, "yes. yes. this is it."
After I wiped the tears from my eyes, kissed my children, and momentarily stood silently in reverence of the sublime beauty of this earth, I readied my credit card and entered my shipping information. I clicked the "CONFIRM" button as a choir of angels began singing around me. Immediately, as if hand-delivered by some force unknown to this world, the package arrived at my door.
The product was everything I expected and more. I plugged it into my TV and without any further prompt, I found myself in a crystal-clear, high-definition video chat with my wife Sadie. She passed away ten years ago. After dealing with the resulting intense mixture of shock, confusion, and joyousness, we chatted all evening about our memories, our regrets, and our lives. We got a chance to forgive one another for everything we once did, and we got a chance to say everything that was left unsaid before that tragic day. By the end of the night, were both content with the situation. I told her I had to go, because I also got God of War III and I really wanted to play it, so we said our last goodbyes. This time, however, they were sincere and meaningful. God of War III ran amazingly, crystal clear, it was the highlight of my night.
This product is literally the most important single piece of technology in the history of human invention. There was fire, there was the wheel, there was movable type, there was the airplane, and then there was the AudioQuest Coffee 39.4' HDMI Cable.
What's great about it: this cable seems to have been lovingly hand-crafted by the almighty creator himself
What's not so great: I wish it came in mauve
I would recommend this to a friend!

Actually this is untrue. Ingress, low signal strength, and too high signal strength can cause digital communications to fail. If you have ever seen panelization on a TV due to bad weather, old cable lines, or just bad OTA TV that is proof. The rest of what you said I agree with tho

right but we are not talking about OTA DTV, there is a lot more involved in how that works, as it is a broadcast, so that has nothing to do with what I said really :p

Lol, the reviews are funny but I actually wish more people would write serious, one-star reviews. Then people would stop buying this crap and it would go away. :(

I thought that with the transition from analog to digital interconnects (i.e. 0.00001% improvement to absolutely no improvement whatsoever), cable scams would eventually die. I guess not.

Theoretically, sure, analog could benefit. In the real world, however, the difference is not detectable by the naked eye - at least not in a scientific double blind test. Same thing applies to speaker wire - in a double blind test, even golden ears people can't tell the difference between lamp cord and magical super speaker wire.

Audiophiles, though, insist on a subjective reality where they can hear the difference, and argue the validity of the basic scientific double blind test. Or - they argue they can hear the difference and nothing else matters.

I got pretty tired of hanging out at avsforum for this type of reasoning.

only one problem, a speakers drive is analog, not digital... speaker wire quality does matter, esp on longer runs of wire

so why are we talking about speakers? they all connect analog, there really is no such thing as DIGITAL speaker

only one problem, a speakers drive is analog, not digital... speaker wire quality does matter, esp on longer runs of wire

so why are we talking about speakers? they all connect analog, there really is no such thing as DIGITAL speaker

What he's saying is that, even with speakers, a tiny difference exists, but it is not large enough for human ears to notice.

What he's saying is that, even with speakers, a tiny difference exists, but it is not large enough for human ears to notice.

right, but how does that apply to HDMI cables? there is not difference between one digital connection and another digital connection

but there is a measurable difference from dirt cheap analog cables to 'top of the line' analog cables

If it were really difficult to transmit quality analogue audio over wire, speakers could have DACs and amps right in them, or at least next to them. But, fortune is with us and cheap wire is not the weak spot of even high-end audio systems.

When I was like 13 I bought my first pair of speakers, yamaha 3 way bookshelfs. at first I just used regular wires, nothing special I think they came with the speakers. Then my uncle (who at the time took me to buy them) for my next birthday decided to ship me some monster cables along with these banana clip things that I never for the life of me figured out how to properly attach. I had never been so frustrated in my life. I still use these speakers all the time and I think some of the cables still have the banana clips still on them.... Not like they make a difference. Not even entirely sure what the point of them was, in the application I was using them for it couldn't have possibly made the connection any better....

hSpeakerPinConnector.jpg

Ya, but the quality would have to depend on the source and the DAC.

My HDMI Cable cost me $9.99, Because I believe in the goodness of my fellow man that means this cable must be 70x as good! We all must order 2 or 3 right away!

On a serious note though, I wonder IF there is audio equipment that detects that little active bobble on the cable, and provides a usual signal ouput, and if it doesn't, then it feeds a degraded signal on purpose. Think of the possibilities for evil here ...

When I was like 13 I bought my first pair of speakers, yamaha 3 way bookshelfs. at first I just used regular wires, nothing special I think they came with the speakers. Then my uncle (who at the time took me to buy them) for my next birthday decided to ship me some monster cables along with these banana clip things that I never for the life of me figured out how to properly attach. I had never been so frustrated in my life. I still use these speakers all the time and I think some of the cables still have the banana clips still on them.... Not like they make a difference. Not even entirely sure what the point of them was, in the application I was using them for it couldn't have possibly made the connection any better....

hSpeakerPinConnector.jpg

Just for clarification, that's a speaker pin. This is a banana clip.
28013.jpg

You wouldnt believe the crap these companies are trying to sell to home audio guys. Problem is there is a never ending crop of suckers that believe they indeed can hear grass grow. Just visit any home audio forum and read the endless debates about the wider soundstage from Audioquest cables compared to the superior detail retrieval (whatever that is) of the Signal Cable.

Then I double dare you to post on one that there is no audible difference between a $10 pair of Walmart RCA cables and a $1,000 pair of Audioquest's finest. Its the same as going to a religious forum and declaring there is no God.

Thats why Im proud of my car audio enthusiasts. We're supposed to be the knuckle draggers of the audio world but nobody Ive ever seen in over 5 years in the competition scene would fall for a $60 "Magic Power Cable" (real name) over a $5 run of lamp cord.

ahaha these reviews are awesome!! I can't believe this is allowed to be sold... Just ordered 2 10' HDMI cords last night for $2.

I wonder if I can buy an EAR/EYE upgrade so I can see/hear the diffrence with these cables :p

Axe

I like the MusicDirect review: The video signal is probably bad, but "Diamond is the finest HDMI cable we've ever had the pleasure of listening to."
Somehow, unbeknown to the HDMI founders, the audio signal in digital HDMI keeps coming back in analogic fashion like a botched abortion (quote from The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.)
The low price of this HDMI cable is really a surprise coming from AudioQuest. I'm pretty sure they believe they are giving it away at a deal. After all, they make Everest speaker cable that costs $8,900 for the same length.

For my speakers and 3 SACDs, I did venture outside the usual chicken wire into the oxygen-free copper realm, but not because I am able to spot the difference. Mostly so that the wire does not turn green after several years, and mostedly because it was a bargain, 4 rolls of 100 feet 16ga at $28.54 a pop. It's the most valuable item listed in my LW&T.
Also I was crying every time one of those poor electrons was hurting itself against a small iron impurity. Still cry every time I listen to St Matthew Passion somehow. Damn electrons.

Back