Non-Deal of the Day: $700 HDMI Cable

$700 and watch it die just as easily as all the rest. bent the wrong way, crushed by a cabinet into a wall or in my case eaten by a rabbit. i wouldn't pay that price for a 'wireless' adaptation of a hdmi cable that supported 3d 120hz 1080p and 100m range (lossless of course).
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I like the MusicDirect review: The video signal is probably bad, but "Diamond is the finest HDMI cable we've ever had the pleasure of listening to."
Somehow, unbeknown to the HDMI founders, the audio signal in digital HDMI keeps coming back in analogic fashion like a botched abortion (quote from The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.)
The low price of this HDMI cable is really a surprise coming from AudioQuest. I'm pretty sure they believe they are giving it away at a deal. After all, they make Everest speaker cable that costs $8,900 for the same length.

For my speakers and 3 SACDs, I did venture outside the usual chicken wire into the oxygen-free copper realm, but not because I am able to spot the difference. Mostly so that the wire does not turn green after several years, and mostedly because it was a bargain, 4 rolls of 100 feet 16ga at $28.54 a pop. It's the most valuable item listed in my LW&T.
Also I was crying every time one of those poor electrons was hurting itself against a small iron impurity. Still cry every time I listen to St Matthew Passion somehow. Damn electrons.

Where did you find the review?

In other words try to connect a cheap 2 dolla audio rca-cable cut it's ends and wire it to a fork and it will still sounds as good as any 8000$ cable.

and what is funny is this Review. this guy thought it was a USB cable and tryed to force it in his USB port on his PC

The product I received was flawed. After spending several hours struggling with the packaging, I finally obtained access to the cable. When I tried to plug it in, it didn't fit, so I started to try to force it in. After about an hour of this, I finally got the cable in. To my disarray, it did not work. Now, the cable is stuck in my computer (I'd assume broken), and I have one less USB port. I was very unhappy with the product.

You wouldnt believe the crap these companies are trying to sell to home audio guys. Problem is there is a never ending crop of suckers that believe they indeed can hear grass grow. Just visit any home audio forum and read the endless debates about the wider soundstage from Audioquest cables compared to the superior detail retrieval (whatever that is) of the Signal Cable.

Then I double dare you to post on one that there is no audible difference between a $10 pair of Walmart RCA cables and a $1,000 pair of Audioquest's finest. Its the same as going to a religious forum and declaring there is no God.

Thats why Im proud of my car audio enthusiasts. We're supposed to be the knuckle draggers of the audio world but nobody Ive ever seen in over 5 years in the competition scene would fall for a $60 "Magic Power Cable" (real name) over a $5 run of lamp cord.

Sure everyone knows that people can't tell the difference between lamp cord and $100/foot cables, but would someone really hook up speakers worth more than some houses with lamp cord? AudioQuest stuff is really geared towards people spending tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars on home a/v equipment. To 99.999% of people, spending more than $20 on a HDMI cable is stupid. To someone with a $400K home theater, they buy shit like this just because it is better built and maybe when the planets align and a blind squirrel finds a nut during a lunar eclipse, that better built cable may save them from viewing one single pixel being less than perfect. There is a market for shit like this, its just not with people that shop at Best Buy.

Sure everyone knows that people can't tell the difference between lamp cord and $100/foot cables, but would someone really hook up speakers worth more than some houses with lamp cord? AudioQuest stuff is really geared towards people spending tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars on home a/v equipment. To 99.999% of people, spending more than $20 on a HDMI cable is stupid. To someone with a $400K home theater, they buy shit like this just because it is better built and maybe when the planets align and a blind squirrel finds a nut during a lunar eclipse, that better built cable may save them from viewing one single pixel being less than perfect. There is a market for shit like this, its just not with people that shop at Best Buy.

I think you are missing the point point, with a digital connector there is no difference, it works or it does not work, with analog that is a different story

@dj christian Only my post was ironical, the quoted sentence (from the first paragraph in the link) was not. It's a music site, so I assume that's why they tested only the audio quality and resorted to quoting the specs for the video quality.
I haven't checked other items they sell, but this review seems to be a copy and paste for another analog cable item. There's just no "explosive speed, truly unleashed dynamic range and a level of dynamic shading unlike anything we've ever experienced ... timbral accuracy (that) puts other digital cables to shame, with a natural and neutral tonal balance which preserves the intention of any recording" with digital zeros and ones that would make one cable different from another. And silver is rather cheap, at $27.50/ounce, compared to gold's $1373. This cable is twice more expensive than its weight in pure silver... ^-^

I think you are missing the point point, with a digital connector there is no difference, it works or it does not work, with analog that is a different story

There are better and worse digital cables. For example trying to do a long run with certain HDMI cables can result in "sparkles" even though other cables work fine.

There are better and worse digital cables. For example trying to do a long run with certain HDMI cables can result in "sparkles" even though other cables work fine.

I run two 5m hdmi cables to my 46 & 24 inch 1080p screens. i have no clue about this glittering twinkle you speak of and my cables were as cheap as they get. i don't know the story with 50m cables but perhap they could just find somewhere closer to position their pc/bluray or whatever. personally i'm just thrilled at the difference compared to the fluorescent light-like flickering of vga cables.

I run two 5m hdmi cables to my 46 & 24 inch 1080p screens. i have no clue about this glittering twinkle you speak of and my cables were as cheap as they get. i don't know the story with 50m cables but perhap they could just find somewhere closer to position their pc/bluray or whatever. personally i'm just thrilled at the difference compared to the fluorescent light-like flickering of vga cables.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests

Note that even the $900 and $1400 cables failed some of the tests :D

Buyers beware, it's only silver plated. This gets people every time.

I plugged in this cable and after a few minutes realised i was still in my lounge on planet earth. i then looked down at my penis to realise it was still 6" and ugly with a left bend. the final straw was when i looked at my wife of 20 years only to realise she was still fat, ugly and didn't resemble megan fox in the fucking slightest. very disappointed with this product.

Screw that. I'm going to hit up monoprice now...
Ironically, $700 (even $2200) would be cheaper than the credit card jacking that happened to me after I bought some HDMI cables off Monoprice.

Great cables, but monitor your statement.

Ironically, $700 (even $2200) would be cheaper than the credit card jacking that happened to me after I bought some HDMI cables off Monoprice.

Great cables, but monitor your statement.

That's interesting, because I used them this year, and my CC# also got jacked this year. But I really don't know where it slipped out. It happened right after a $$$$ big purchase at Sears in person.

So all I have to do is put out a $700 cable, slap some high-tech sounding terms into the description and I will become rich? No way!

again, long runs tend to be the exception, but for short (less than 12 feet usually) it just does not matter

again, long runs tend to be the exception, but for short (less than 12 feet usually) it just does not matter

but, I have never seen that

Digital cables carry 1s and 0s, that's it, the sparkles might just be and incorrect 1 or 0?

but honestly it was most likely just a quality control issue

but, I have never seen that

Digital cables carry 1s and 0s, that's it, the sparkles might just be and incorrect 1 or 0?

but honestly it was most likely just a quality control issue

Sparkles are just bad or missing data, usually caused by cables lacking the bandwidth to handle the data stream over a given length. Once handshaking is completely, HDMI is very much a one way flow of data. If something is missing in the data stream, the display device will just show some sparkles and keep playing through it and move on to the next frame of video.

I almost wish I still worked at best buy so I could do a employee price check on this and see how much of that $700 is best buy's margin and how much audioquest is selling it to BB for.

I have the means to start a company like this. My moral compass isn't that broken, though. I'd never dance on the genitals of the raped.

Come on guys, this is obviously for people who don't know what to do with their money. If there are fools who will buys this, well, then more power to the company that's churning out this crap. Though, $700 is insane for an HDMI cable. I use Monoprice cables and found them to really good. I actually went and got a Monster cable just to see if I can notice any difference. As funny as it may sound, Monoprice cables even looked better. I couldn't tell any difference between the two cables. I have my sig PC connected to LG 55LH90 tv and there was no bloody difference between a $10 cable and a $100 Monster cable. Anyways, if consumers are lazy and not willing to do their research then they deserve to pay high prices for air in their technology.

Sparkles are just bad or missing data, usually caused by cables lacking the bandwidth to handle the data stream over a given length. Once handshaking is completely, HDMI is very much a one way flow of data. If something is missing in the data stream, the display device will just show some sparkles and keep playing through it and move on to the next frame of video.

And yet my cheap $30, 50' HDMI 1.3 cable works perfectly well with my HD projector with no sparkles.

This is absurd. It shouldn't be illegal to sell an $800 HDMI cable. If you're dumb enough to think its a good idea, then you deserve it. I'm sure there are some ultra high end audio enthusiasts who spend hundreds of dollars on speaker wire for their $30,000 system who would look at this and say "yes...; I need one." But I was really hoping this was just a joke.

By the way, my favorite HDMI cable is the Sony PS3 set I bought for $10 (it was on clearance from $60). It just looks cool. It doesn't make Communists less evil, or kill pedophiles on contact, but I like the braided cable. You can buy an almost identical cable on the Egg for $5.

I've never had a problem with loss or degradation with an HDMI, but I seldom run an uncompressed multichanel audio setup either. The only problem I've had is with some $2 cables I bought on the Bay from Hong Kong that wouldn't work with my slim PS3. Bandwidth would be more of a problem with a 3-D BD/TV setup and 8.1 or .2 audio uncompressed. Even then, as long as you're using a v1.4 cable, you shouldn't have a problem.

Digital cables carry 1s and 0s, that's it

Actually, they carry an analog waveform, which is interpreted as 1s and 0s eventually. There's really no such thing as a "digital" cable, per se. But we're probably saying the same thing already.

After reading about this for an hour or so and almost pissing my pants from laughing so hard at the posts, I remembered back when I was young and making a ton of cash. I went and bought a Monster cable and the dang thing cost me 30 bucks. Its made me feel like an idiot ever since but now I know and feel Much Better because someone somewhere got screwed getting one of these.

LOL @ the reviews on BB's site, such as this one:

Looks so much better than the $5 hdmi cables I've been using for years! Yes it looks 7000% better because that is how much more it costs!!!!!!!

My (long) review:

Let's face it - I live in New York and have an entire penthouse floor overlooking the city, so I need the very best when it comes to anything and everything - and my high definition audio/visual experience is no exception. I thought it was a bit of a gamble to buy this because of its extremely low price (compared to most other cables I buy) of only $700, but let me tell you - this thing really makes my high definition content consumption experience tens of millions of times better! That's NO exaggeration. In fact, I'm probably holding back a bit because the inner fancy-pants in me doesn't want to admit that I'm INSANELY pleased with an HDMI cable that only cost me $700! It's outrageous for anyone, in their right mind, to spend anything LESS than $700 on a cable of this quality!
In any case, don't take it from me - here is what a few of my guests have to say:
Pierre Peroches: WOW! I only sort of liked hanging out with my pal Antoine at his penthouse floor before because the martini's his butler serves were a bit dryer than what I'm accustomed to - but ever since he purchased this steal, I've completely forgotten about...well..pretty much every care in the world! Honestly, this cable makes high definition Blu-Rays look so clear and amazing that I now ABSOLUTELY LOVE hanging out with my pal Antoine!
----------------------
Deborah McGilligan: My husband had turned me into a "videophile" of sorts over the last six years of our marriage - and let me tell you, it was his WORST mistake! Why? Well after what I thought would be ONE measly little martini night at Antoine's penthouse I was HOOKED! This cable really opened up my eyes, it's literally like I can see better! I couldn't quite get enough, so I've begun giving "favors" to Antoine in exchange for him letting me view his HDTV over this GLORIOUS HDMI cable! My husband found out, filed for divorce and tried to sue - but Antoine has connections and got it "handled". Perhaps only through this HDMI cable can he access 'resources" no one ever thought possible? Hm...
------------------------
...and there you have it, folks. Best. HDMI. Cable. EVER.

What's great about it: It's made me a virtual Jesus, basically.
What's not so great: The fact that it was only $700. I mean, honestly, a price that low is a gamble for me.

:D

Its clearly worth the price. You see, not only are they made with real silver, the coffee model is designed to give off a pleasant aroma of freshly roasted coffee beans, hand picked by Juan Valdez.

Oh, and they're designed to withstand an EMP blast in the coming 2012 apocolypse.

Upon buying one, Diablo 3 immediately becomes complete and hits the market.

Oh, man. This is so sweet. My wife and I have been wanting to upgrade our 4 year old westinghouse 32", but after seeing this cable here, I think we will get it instead of a new TV.

Back