Non-Cave Flying Shoot-'em-ups on Steam?

djoye

2[H]4U
I used to enjoy games like R-Type and Gradius, realized maybe I could find some games like this on Steam. Does anyone have suggestions for shooters? I am too casual to deal with Cave-style shooters where I have to dodge a barrage of projectiles, anything else should be manageable.

Here's another vote for Darius Burst. Also, Super Hydorah is pretty cool, but also pretty difficult. I'm sure I'll think of some others.

You might also want to check out Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. It's not a traditional shooter, but it's scrolling, you have multiple weapons and tools, and it mixes in some Metroid-style exploration and upgrading. It's a really nice game.

Pixeljunk Shooter is pretty fun, but also another one that adds in some additional styles of play. It's reminiscent of many 80s rescue shooters, like Defender. (or some lesser known home computer ones like Fort Apocalypse, Protector, etc.)

Honestly though, when I want to play something like this, I typically just load up MAME. Then you've got R-Type, Air Buster, Pulstar, Blazing Star, X-Multiply etc. at your fingertips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back