Nokia Lumia 520 $19.99

Holy cow is that cheap.

These work great as a stand alone gps device. It has Here maps and you can download individual state maps or the whole United States if you want. No plan needed.

Snagged one for my old man to use as a MP3 Player, Camera, Skype and e-mail monitoring all over WiFi. Seems like a good starter device.

Holy cow is that cheap.

These work great as a stand alone gps device. It has Here maps and you can download individual state maps or the whole United States if you want. No plan needed.

Just FYI, HERE is on Android too with the same offline functionality. I prefer Waze still, but you could do the same thing with any other Android phone if your want.

This is a great deal though. Tempted to get one just to play with WP.

I've used one as my everyday phone for over a year now. GREAT phone for the money, and especially at this price. Really dig the windows OS on these as well. Only downsides are the lack of accessories at retailers and the lack of a flash for the camera. Other than that I've been really happy with mine, even at the $100 it cost me when I got it.

What annoys me is that the Tmobile equivalent is always A LOT more expensive.

Miss the 20 but at least i got the 30 deal nice needed a new phone for my girl and it's att so that helps greatly.

At $30 just go up $10 and get the 635 much better phone for only a meal more in cost.

The problem here is still the dead end appstore.

Last edited:
GAH!

This would have been perfect as a backup phone. I'd like to have a phone I could just pop my sim card into in the even I accidentally break my phone or it stops working for some other reason.

oh well...

Do you need a Microsoft account or any other kind of account to use it for driving directions?

Got my father's setup for:

- Skype App
- Pandora App (Which he loves with his new Sennheiser 180 wireless headphones)
- FaceBook App
- Facebook Messenger App
- E-Mail Setup w/his GMAIL

Thinking about Dropbox or Google Drive for auto-syncing his photos... he has a Chromebook so I'm leaning toward GOogle DRive even though I normally go with DropBox.

Needless to say this was probably the best $20 gift you could give someone! It's amazing what these things do for the price now days.

Can this be used without cellphone service or does it need to be activated when first turned on? I'm mainly interested in using it for gps maps.

Can this be used without cellphone service or does it need to be activated when first turned on? I'm mainly interested in using it for gps maps.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

My father is NOT using this as an "ATT PHONE".

So, to answer.... NO you do not need to activate anything. I didn't even install the SIM card.

windows phone is great....except for the music. if you have a large mp3 library and itunes playlists, it is a damn disaster trying to get it correct. It duplicates playlists, etc and just overall a mess.

if you use only spotify, xbox music, etc, you'll be fine.

The problem here is still the dead end appstore.
I've never found it lacking...
Me either.

Also recommend getting the 635. I have the 520, excellent phone in every way but there are new versions these days.

I got the 635 during the black Friday online MS Store deal. I have avoided getting a smartphone for years, becuase I've never needed the internet in my pocket or otherwise been into mobile and app culture. I've been using a Samsung Alias 2 for five years, which in my oppinion, was the pinnacle of the dumb phone.

I knew I would like the Windows 8.1 phone interface and I was right. It's very easy to use, snappy, colorful. A much better experience than Android and still manages to be easier than iOS.

The app store notably lacks a lot of games and popular apps associated with TV shows and whatnot. there's also no Amazon video, which was the single largest disappointment for me. and for some reason the IE browser doesn't support silverlight (an MS service), so you can't even stream amazon via the desktop site.

However, the built in media player has excellent file support.

I got this earlier in the year for $50 to play with after I gave my aunt my 521 (the T-Mobile variant of the 520) and got a Moto G for myself. Some personal impressions between playing with this and having used the 521 (among other WP7/8 phones) for a good while:

Pros:
+ It's cheap (especially for $20-30).
+ It's durable (although drops can result in the back cover and battery flying off and out).
+ It has a simple, slick interface, which helps the base OS run fluidly despite the low specs.
+ Account integration (e.g. for Facebook, Twitter, etc.) can make certain apps unnecessary.
+ Cortana is pretty awesome (it understands me better than Google Now, at least).

Cons:
- It runs out of memory fairly easily on 8.1 (especially Denim), which can result in frequent app crashes.
- Its rounded back makes the phone kind of difficult to hold even though it's rubberized.
- Internet Explorer doesn't always render web content correctly or in a usable manner.
- The Settings menu is waaaaaaay too big now, and IMO needs either consolidation or alphabetization.
- The display collects fingerprints/dirt/oils easily.

All in all, for $20-30 this is a very competent phone that is great as a "first smartphone", backup phone, standalone GPS unit (with HERE Drive), or music player.

have a 1520 and i find it lacking. something as simple as an FTP program just doesn't exist for free and the free ones barely work.

I've used a Nokia 929 for almost a year now and I've had zero problems. I can honestly say I don't miss android a single bit.

The windows ap store is fine IMO. But I would like to see an Amazon Ap for streaming video, (which according to Amazon is in the works).

As far as the ftp thing...a search of the Ap store showed me about a dozen FTP aps' and another 15 that are $1.99 or less...lucky they don't exist.

In before someone quotes some obscure ap that 3 people in the world use....

Back