Nokia 9 PureView: The World's First Quintuple Camera Smartphone

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Because one, two, three, or even four cameras isn’t enough, Nokia has announced a new PureView phone that boasts five rear sensors: “ZEISS optics on the back, two of which are RGB and the other three – monochrome.” These work in unison, capturing lighting, detail, and color data to stitch a 12MP image. “According to HMD, taking a single photo results in at least 60 MP of imaging data being processed.”

This is made possible with a dedicated image co-processor, which helps out with the heavy task. Every picture is HDR, can have up to 12.4 stops of dynamic range, and ends up with a full scene 12 MP depth map. Yes, this means that you will be able to use a depth editor to specifically adjust bokeh effects after the photo has already been taken. It'll even allow you to tweak colors and contrast between different depth fields. And yes, it can shoot RAW.

Next it's going to be the physical dimensions of the camera.
WHAT'S THAT!? Not satisfied with 50 mega pixels or 10 camera on your smartphone! We have a phone for you!

TBH i would like to buy a good but cheaper phone due to it not having a single camera.
I use my phone camera on rare occasions to take pictures of small text i then cam blow up on the screen so my old eyes can read it, all the other stuff the bulk of people use their phones for,,,,,,, not so much if at all.

Funny to think about, but i am more snowflake than snowflakes, and i am old enough to be the grandfather of snowflakes. :D young people are so "lemming" its not even funny, no class no trailblazing at all, just R&D ( Remember & Duplicate )

They're solving the problem of not being able to put larger sensors in by putting in more smaller sensors it seems.

It's not a bad approach, really.

I just wish I can plug my cans into a 3.5mm jack on modern phones. I wish they had some room for that.

just give me an slr full sensor in a smart phone.

none of this multicamera shit.

In a few years you guys won't be complaining about multiple cameras.. It's pretty awesome if you just take a minute and think about it. Do you know how an HDR image works? If you have one lens take a photo with one exposure and another with a much lower exposure, you can combine them to create an image that shows what a singular camera couldn't. This is an old HDR idea tho, but the same idea works for other methods such as the use of the monochrome sensors! You won't care how many cameras are on a phone once you start to see the results and the awesome use of being able to switch lenses on the tiny portable device. Phones already include telephoto and wide lens, some with a super-wide lens as well. This is awesome when it comes to use and quality! The fact that phone makers are focusing on the main reason that people own a smart phone - the camera, and they're also finding great innovative uses for improving the images and videos we take on them with the use of multiple cameras - this is all amazing and to everyone's benefit.

If you're fine with a traditional singular camera on a phone, you do you. If you're still using a point and shoot camera and don't believe in smart phones, you do you. None of that makes this a bad or stupid or ridiculous thing when it's actually for a great use and great result for everyone.

/rant over

12mp photos and no removable storage. Sounds about right for modern phones.

22blades.jpg

There manufacturers are deaf to what consumers actually want. One good camera and the wide angle would be perfect.

This is stupid.

Product differentiation. There really aren't any more easy ways to make smartphones "better", so this is how companies are trying to differentiate their products.

They're solving the problem of not being able to put larger sensors in by putting in more smaller sensors it seems.

It's not a bad approach, really.
Yeah, this actually works, and it's a technology used in satellite / aerial imagery. Separate monochrome cameras and smaller res RGB cameras to colorize the hi-res mono image.

Multiple camera's is a good thing.

My LGv40 has basically 3 focal lenghts, can shoot in RAW, removable storage, built in ESSES9218P DAC that is Tuned by Meridian to unfold MQA, headphone jack, wireless charging etc...

Basically it had just about everything I wanted including a great screen and all day battery.

Lot's of good stuff out there actually. What I'm not a fan of is the all glass build crap but a thin silicone case solves that.

In a few years you guys won't be complaining about multiple cameras.. It's pretty awesome if you just take a minute and think about it. Do you know how an HDR image works? If you have one lens take a photo with one exposure and another with a much lower exposure, you can combine them to create an image that shows what a singular camera couldn't. This is an old HDR idea tho, but the same idea works for other methods such as the use of the monochrome sensors! You won't care how many cameras are on a phone once you start to see the results and the awesome use of being able to switch lenses on the tiny portable device. Phones already include telephoto and wide lens, some with a super-wide lens as well. This is awesome when it comes to use and quality! The fact that phone makers are focusing on the main reason that people own a smart phone - the camera, and they're also finding great innovative uses for improving the images and videos we take on them with the use of multiple cameras - this is all amazing and to everyone's benefit.

If you're fine with a traditional singular camera on a phone, you do you. If you're still using a point and shoot camera and don't believe in smart phones, you do you. None of that makes this a bad or stupid or ridiculous thing when it's actually for a great use and great result for everyone.

/rant over

thing is the masses don't understand any of that shit anyway. they just want to take a photo and slap it on social media ASAP.

Phones got boring. Good enough, diminishing returns and all that. They caught up to what the PC market was like. Just like VR for PC, they are trying some weird stuff to shake things up a bit.

Or an old school user replaceable battery without cracking the phone open. Or an OS that doesn't spy on you. Etc.

This...so badly. I especially miss phones with user replaceable batteries and gargantuan capacity options.

I would like to point out that Nokia phones are not currently designed or manufactured by Nokia. I wish they weren't named Nokia, either.

thing is the masses don't understand any of that shit anyway. they just want to take a photo and slap it on social media ASAP.

And so many dont even clean off their lens before taking a photo so all that technology just skirts by taking a photo through a grease smear. But thats fine, an overblown color filter will make it all better! And maybe we should add some sparkly 90's internet style gifs to it!

/rant over

Uhhh... I don't know about you but my smart phones primary use is 1. A phone. 2. A portable email device, 3. A portable time waster. 4. a Camera.

When did the market shift to where the camera became the primary thing people use a phone for? Did I miss the freaking memo?

Uhhh... I don't know about you but my smart phones primary use is 1. A phone. 2. A portable email device, 3. A portable time waster. 4. a Camera.

When did the market shift to where the camera became the primary thing people use a phone for? Did I miss the freaking memo?

You didn't miss anything.
You just use yours the way you need to and not everyone does it the same way.

Some notes for a phone that I as a consumer want.

1. Great battery life. 1.5 days would be good with mostly the screen on.
2. Reader mode that works better for reading on the phone. Make it an and also feature.
3. Durable and water resistant. I don't need it to be water proof but dropping it in the deep end of a pool shouldn't kill it either.
4. A lot of screen real estate and high definition.
5. A pen or the like a la the Galaxy note.
6. Expandable or removable storage. Unless the storage is grossly large anyway.
7. Reasonable price.
8. User replaceable battery.
9. Bunch of cameras.

If you can give me 1-7 I can live without 8.

Everyone has different use cases for their phones and they are all equally valid. If you don't need a camera that's fine too but some people do.

I'm a Pixel 3 XL owner who thinks the camera and the battery life is of highest importance. The Pixel is a great camera but a terrible phone in comparison to the Note 9 I had previously. Versus the Note 9, the Pixel screen looks like Pac-MAN took a bite out it, the battery sucks, full speed wireless charging is locked to the pixel stand, the 3.5 mm jack has been removed, and the phone feels chunkier in the hand. I'm not happy at all with these features but for me the camera is the primary concern. Then and again, I do take around 8k photos per year whenever I'm travelling. While I feel it was worth it I'm hoping that the S10+ will be more of a no compromises great phone great camera situation. From initial reviews it seems like it might have a great camera and killer battery life--very tempted.

Does this phone have 5 cameras or 1 camera and 5 lenses?

This thing shooting raw and having Lightroom preinstalled is pretty awesome.
But as a phone, it's quite ugly.

It's the area where they can continue to show improvement the most. Better low-light, better video, better post-processing options (higher dynamic range and depth maps for altering depth of field, etc.), on top of multiple focal lengths for different perspectives.

The multiple camera arrays were starting to see are totally necessary since physically these devices cant expand the way a DSLR does.
It would not be practical so in order to keep improving IQ this is the way to go. And a bunch of AI.

Flagship phones put a lot of thought and effort in to Imaging because it is expected to be top notch these days.

Do people care? I know I do. I like to have the best possible IQ out of a device I carry with me every day.

So I'm willing to pay for it just like I used to pay for enthusiast level compact cameras.

What I want in a phone:
* Removable Battery
* Timely OS Updates guaranteed for 5+ years since purchase
* SDcard slot
* Stock android
* Decent Camera
* 1 day of runtime is fine.
* USB-C charging.
* 4/5G compatibility.
* Unlocked GSM
* Headphone jack
* Good call quality

Will pay $500. Someone come take my money...

What I want in a phone:
* Removable Battery
* Timely OS Updates guaranteed for 5+ years since purchase
* SDcard slot
* Stock android
* Decent Camera
* 1 day of runtime is fine.
* USB-C charging.
* 4/5G compatibility.
* Unlocked GSM
* Headphone jack
* Good call quality

Will pay $500. Someone come take my money...
Hahahahah yeaa, absolutely impossible.

Logical, but impossible.

Back