Noise wise, is the 6800GT much worse than X800XT?

EricDawg

Limp Gawd
I'm getting ready to make the plunge. I don't like A LOT of noise. I'm planning on going with the 6800GT (either eVGA or BFG OC if I can find one).

Just wondering... would spending an extra 200+ bucks on an ATi
x800xt help much in reducing overall system noise?

It's a gaming box, so the 6800GT is better for that. But if it's going to add more heat and make all my fans work harder, maybe the ATI is the way to go? Also could get a lower wattage power supply but I'm not sure that would make a difference noise wise.

Anyone?

If you can find an x800xt in stock and at msrp (which you won't be able to), buy it, and buy a few more. Nothing IMO is worth spending over $500 on, the GT should serve you just fine.

my PNY GT (that is when I owned it) was actually pretty darn quiet.

unlike the fan on my soft modded XT PE's fan thats pretty darn loud once she's running at 100%.

I was also worried about the noise level of my Leadtek 6800 gt. My fears were unfounded--while it's louder than its predecessor (fanless ti4200), I don't think it's noisy--probably on the order of an antec tru380 @ 1800rpm. It has a "wooshing" quality to it, which doesn't annoy me. It does run hot though; high 50's @ stock idle.

You're probably better off spending that $200 on other parts to quiet your box. This is a good place to start: www.silentpcreview.com

Caveats--I live on a noisy street & the Leadteks have a non-stock heatsink.

Kind of depends on how quiet the rest of your computer are. Don´t know some say they like the 6800 ULTRA noise better than the GT. But yeah they are definiatly louder than the X800XT cooling.

But it´s definiatly not that much louder that spending 200$ more X800XT would be good in an economical standpoint. 100$ perhaps since the X800XT is significantly faster. But really maybe try to find a 6800GT with a custom cooler? The leadtek 6800 GT is said to have the same fan as the ULTRA and that is less than 30 db??

Talk about fast response time! Can't wait to get it!! I've been stuck with a mobility Radeon 7500 32mb that prevents me from playing any cool new games. The first games I'm going to get and stay up all weekend for are:

1) Far Cry
2) BF Vietnam (I'm a BF1942 junkie... don't even try to take South River from me on Caen... ;-) )
3) Joint Ops
4) Maybe City of Heros (not sure about the monthly fee)
5) Probably a few others. Not sure about Doom.
6) Of course Half-Life2 someday... someday

Thanks again. You guys rule.

i watercool but when my 6800gt came before i voided the warrenty i plugged it in and couldnt beleive how loud it was. that whirrrrr noise i could here in the other room.

but if youve been air cooling then your used to the whiiirrrrrrr noise. and its not much louder then prev gen cards. plus some gt and all ultras have fan throttling to keep it quite while in 2d as long as driver supports it. it should be fine.

well i stopped the fan with my finger, nothing changed, I cant hear mine over my low decible fans.

well my leadtek geforce 6800 GT says it produces 30 db of noise... and i'll have to just assume it's correct since i can't hear it.

FingerSlut said:
well i stopped the fan with my finger, nothing changed, I cant hear mine over my low decible fans.

Dude, I don't think anyone is going to hear anything (let alone a fan) over your screams after you self-amputated your finger. :D

I have the Gainward 6800GT and it is loud as hell. Great performance, but when my computer is turned on and the GT spins it's dual mini gpu fans it is loud...

Back