NOD32 - Why can't i delete this infection?

Concentric

[H]ard|Gawd
I suspect i have an infection or two so i ran a NOD32 scan and it came up with this.

wtfgp2.png

It says "This file can be deleted" but the Delete and Clean buttons are greyed out?

It did this on more than one infection; in fact i can't remember a time when it has let me take an action other than to Ignore or Send to Quarantine. What's wrong here?

Hmmm... NOD32 has some odd things, that is for sure.
Sounds to me like the file is locked or not able to be accessed... Can you post another example?

I know I have one machine... NOD32, every day, finds the same virus. It automatically removes it (only option I get is "Hide"- since it already took the action), yet it is obviously not doing squat to remove it, as it returns! Tried in Safe Mode, still nothing. Been exchanging emails back and forth with their tech support, and have come up empty handed so far (I've sent them countless logs- no solutions yet).

Thanks for the reply. Another example isn't really going to be any different - they're all exactly the same message. Might try Safe Mode.

What are you selecting for actions when you're doing this manual scan? Scan and Clean options? When a threat is found do what?

That was actually an In-Depth Analysis (confused it with On-Demand Scanner) - i tried the On-Demand Scanner instead but whether i choose Scan Only or Scan & Clean that finds nothing, whereas doing the In-Depth Analysis again finds 2 things in the RECYCLER.

Not dead important i guess but..

You didn't pre-configure your scanning options...telling it "what to do" when a threat is found. You can pause the scan..go into options..and change them.

If you have an infected PC...tis best to run this in safe mode, less "active files/file in use" issues.

Thanks for the replies. I've turned off system restore (i never use it anyway) and will do future scans in Safe Mode instead.

YeOlde - the options do seem to be set to prompt me for an action, but i didn't have the On-Demand scanner on "Run this type of scan in Clean mode" (or words to that affect), so just rescanning with that ticked.

You don't have to run *all* scans in safe mode.
Once you are sure your machine is clean (as sure as you can be), you should be fine.

It's just Safe Mode doesn't run but what is needed. It cuts chances of that virus running way down (Look at what starts up in msconfig... most (if not all) of that doesn't run in Safe Mode.

When cleaning your machine, Safe Mode is the best, "cleanest" way of doing it... ensuring that the virus won't be running (exceptions to every rule, obviously).

Back