NOD32 Antivirus OEM - $29.99 FS @ Egg

Chaz did a fairly good review at NBR. Link

I found version 4 to be fairly stable but it ran a little worse on my Pentium 4 computer. Example: when I download files it takes some time to scan it compared to version 3.

people pay for anti virus???

Avast ftw

If you want the best you do...otherwise avast is just fine. :rolleyes:
Its funny but every time there is a post about an antivirus for sale someone always shows up saying something like this...like the new this big awesome secret nobody else does. lol

It's been this price for a while I think. I picked it up at like $10 last fall, but want a 2nd copy, since I don't think you can update multiple installs on different PCs.

Hm..
$29,99 is not a hot deal in MY opinion..
You can get a NOD32 CD-KEY for $12 @ ebay..

I am currently testing out the Business Edition at work and the Remote Console too is amazing. Testing 5 computers, did a remote install (which all 5 installed in less than 10 minutes, while test machines were logged in and working) and remotely configured them all to look at the update server I made from an old P4 box. I did all of this from my computer without getting off my butt once... :D Computers that are running it start up in half the time of the ones running Symantec.

For home or work I highly recommend Eset.

norton 2009 system builder is on egg for 20$
fast setup, doesnt slow down startup like every prior norton, they really got something right this time.

I get a little nauseous every time Norton is mentioned.

I know but I've been hearing really good things about 2009, I still wouldn't buy it. I really like NOD32 it's the best balance between light weight, fast,and effective A/V that I have used. Blows Kaspersky out of the water, imo.

thanks for the headsup OP :)

sucks I just re-newed my subscription a week to two ago though :p lol oh well. NOD32 rules

I know but I've been hearing really good things about 2009, I still wouldn't buy it.

2009 is a lot better compared to its predecessors but it still annoying as all hell. You need to reboot weekly to apply updates, if you don't disable pulse updates and manually configure live updates, it checks for updates every 5 minutes. I am using it on my laptop and it will constantly ask me to reboot so "it can apply live updates."

NOD32 runs on my desktop. It hasn't asked me to reboot once since it has been installed, i barely even know its there.

2009 is a lot better compared to its predecessors but it still annoying as all hell. You need to reboot weekly to apply updates, if you don't disable pulse updates and manually configure live updates, it checks for updates every 5 minutes. I am using it on my laptop and it will constantly ask me to reboot so "it can apply live updates."

NOD32 runs on my desktop. It hasn't asked me to reboot once since it has been installed, i barely even know its there.

The one and only experience I had with NAV09 didn't have this problem. The time I had the system there were about 6 updates done and not once did it require a reboot to apply them. I'm considering getting a copy to test out on some spare boxes around here. I really am very impressed with the work Symantec put into this release, and coming from me that says A LOT.

If you want the best you do...otherwise avast is just fine. :rolleyes:
Its funny but every time there is a post about an antivirus for sale someone always shows up saying something like this...like the new this big awesome secret nobody else does. lol
Well, true for the most part. I usually recommend Nod32 myself, since I used it for years, but as of last year I found Avira to be pulling ahead in a number of tests so I switched. It happens to be free for non-commercial use, but objective testing drove my decision not price and I'd still be using Nod32 if I felt it was going to perform better.

You can't go wrong using Nod32, but I do dislike what Eset did with the UI and what's included compared to the older, non-suite versions. So if someone else wants another option, check out Avira AntiVir.

I have been using Norton Internet Security (anitvirus/firewall) 2009 on my desktop and laptop and haven't noticed it telling me to reboot to apply updates as often as you say. Even if it is once a week, that's not too bad IMO.

But for those wondering how NIS2009 is, it really kicks ass. The installer is only about 66MB, installs in about a minute, and a very small foot print.

It also scans when idle everyday, but stops when you come back. I love this feature because it caught a few viruses already on both my computers.

The only thing I don't like is it's "antiphising" feature which puts a toolbar on your browser and tells you if the site you're on is a phising site or not. This feature really slows down my browsing. I have an okay computer, but it may perform better on faster systems. But for me I turn off the antiphising and everything runs smoothly.

Norton has a free 15 day trial on their site. Try it and you'll be very happy.

I was a Norton guy from the early 90s til 2003. Been on NOD32 ever since.

I wonder if there is a fed-gov contract for NOD32?

How good is this stuff compared to McCafee AV (my school gives it away for free) ?

Eset has a free online scanner that I have used in the past to remove problems that McAfee and Norton has missed. But it has not always helped either. I run nod32 on all my computers and I always buy it for less than $29.99. Newegg has had Nod32 for that price for at least 6 months. Ever once in awhile they have it for $9.99 or $19.99.

I went a few months with no anti virus because it slipped my mind after doing a new install

I did a scan and my computer had no viruses or spyware

I would go for version 4. I dont know if you can upgrade for free.
You can upgrade/downgrade seamlessly with the user-id/password from your original activation. IME, NOD32 handles this more smoothly than anything else.

I honestly get one pop-up a week about background scanning. updates or anything else doesn't require any input from the user and just works. I find it hard to believe you have all this trouble. I've never had to restart for updates either. of course I turn my computer off when I'm done as to not waste power, so maybe that's the difference there.

I

The only thing I don't like is it's "antiphising" feature which puts a toolbar on your browser and tells you if the site you're on is a phising site or not. This feature really slows down my browsing. I have an okay computer, but it may perform better on faster systems. But for me I turn off the antiphising and everything runs smoothly.

Norton has a free 15 day trial on their site. Try it and you'll be very happy.

if you go to the settings you can turn off the anti-phishing. you can also disable the bar in firefox/IE as well.

I agree that it was annoying.

avast is great for being free but Avira personal is even better. Avira makes the best AV on the planet. i LOVWE ESET and NOD32, both v 2 and 3 (havent tried 4 yet) but converted to Avira for good.

Back