Noctua's Fanless 'Passive CPU Cooler' Slated to Arrive Soon...

Biggest problem I had with passive cooling systems is having a case that flows bottom to top to help flow. Adding a 70-100cm 'chimney' same size as top vent helps significantly.

Indeed, PSUs that run fanless at low wattage are great.

There have been a few attempts to make heatsink cases, like Zalman TNN 500AF. Thermalright did several passive cooling concepts back in 2005-2008, one in pic below.
3f3f-img00278.jpg
Fanlesstec does passive cooling products.
https://www.fanlesstech.com/2018/10/passively-cooled-pc-with-65w-cpu-47w.html

Biggest problem I had with passive cooling systems is having a case that flows bottom to top to help flow. Adding a 70-100cm 'chimney' same size as top vent helps significantly.

Indeed, PSUs that run fanless at low wattage are great.

There have been a few attempts to make heatsink cases, like Zalman TNN 500AF. Thermalright did several passive cooling concepts back in 2005-2008, one in pic below.
View attachment 371693
Fanlesstec does passive cooling products.
https://www.fanlesstech.com/2018/10/passively-cooled-pc-with-65w-cpu-47w.html
Streacom makes a lot of fanless cases as well and have been doing so for a long while. Below are images of the case that I use for my HTPC, which reaches its limit on 65w sustained load over 40+ minutes (lightly throttles after that), but handles video playback and similar just fine. The issue with completely fanless is that you need motherboards with good VRM cooling due to lack of airflow, if you do any heavy work over extended periods of time. The same would apply for the Noctua NH-P1 so there are probably limited use cases where you can have it completely fanless (mostly light loads or heavy loads that have short duration).
fc8b-front-up.jpg

fc8b-cooling.jpg

Since you're not even it's target audience there's no need for you to shit all over it so much. It's a truly fantastic product.

Just because I'm not the target audience doesn't mean I wouldn't consider a product like this if it checked the right boxes in my use cases. I came, I looked, I considered it, and determined that it doesn't quite meet my needs and got ideas of how it meets others needs.

As for shitting on the product, I don't think I did that at all. I actually like the product. Pointing out the pros and cons is not shitting on a product, and if you think it is, you can climb back under the rock you came from.

Alright, let's think positive. I can think of 2 use cases for this.

1) If you are so OCD about computer noise that you cannot tolerate a 140mm fan at 500rpm and perhaps you have already RMA'd a dozen graphics cards because of coil whine, this thing is definitely healthier than Prozac.
2) If you just want to build something fanless, because you have done every other type of build imaginable, and you are getting bored, well what can I say, I like your style. This product just gave you a way to do something fun and different.

Just because I'm not the target audience doesn't mean I wouldn't consider a product like this if it checked the right boxes in my use cases. I came, I looked, I considered it, and determined that it doesn't quite meet my needs and got ideas of how it meets others needs.

As for shitting on the product, I don't think I did that at all. I actually like the product. Pointing out the pros and cons is not shitting on a product, and if you think it is, you can climb back under the rock you came from.

I live in a house. There's no need to act shitty.

I live in a house. There's no need to act shitty.

That was three weeks ago. Stop beating a dead horse. The only one acting shitty in this thread was you after I pointed out I wasn't the target audience after reviewing the product.

hat was three weeks ago. Stop beating a dead horse. The only one acting shitty in this thread was you after I pointed out I wasn't the target audience after reviewing the product.

I disagree.

Back