Noctua Was the Only Hardware Company at Computex Totally Ignoring RGB

Well, they also happen to make the best stuff. Coincidence? I think not

Everyone knows that if you attach/embedded enough LED lights into a fan then the "cool" factor goes way, way up. So much so that it will perform 150% better than every other fan on the market.
[sarcasm]
Not too bight are we, no pun intended. EVERYONE knows that the pretty illumination effect that the RGB fans produce is only a by-product of the LED's designed goal! Allow me to drop some science on you...
As you may or may not know, light is made up of photons, and each color corresponds to a different frequency (wavelength). LEDs are a very very low power way to generate light.
Now if you've seen what a high-powered laser can do, then you know that pumping out enough focused photons can have a physical effect on objects. For example, a laser igniting a match, or a solar-sail as a method of propulsion for a spacecraft.

So now with that in mind, one also has to understand that different wavelengths of light are more powerful than others, but on top of that if you introduce a wave, like in a lake, you can now propel an object that was otherwise stationary. As such, with RGB LEDs cycling through their colors from Red to Violet, you are amplifying the wave already present in the wavelength of light because some of those colors are weaker than the others which cause 'dips' in the waveform. Now our light energy is less a wave in a lake and more like the wave of a 'bore tide'.

What happens is that these photons which have now been amplified through cycling colors, are now impacting the blades of the fan, imparting increased spin! While it is said that photons have no resting-mass, their immense velocity (remember, they are traveling at the 'speed of light', or 186,411 miles per second [300,000 km/s]) means they still have a weak kinetic force.

Furthermore, since the blades are already rotating, and the light is shining at an angle, the majority of photons would, you would think, be hitting at an angle as well which is not efficient for transferring their kinetic force... BUT that's where the other property of photons comes in: electromagnetic radiation! How? Well, if you weren't aware of how a fan, or electric motor works, it's through electromagnets and permanent magnets. As electricity is applied to coils of wires in the fan hub it creates a magnetic field, which in turn, the permanent magnets in the hub (in a ring) are drawn to and cause the fan to spin (it's also why the fan shutters at low voltage, and comes to a juttering halt when you spin it by hand). This magnetic field draws in the photons which imparts a curve, in the same fashion as the fan is made to rotate. SO what that does is makes the photos impact the fan blades more directly because they are all spinning in the same direction!

As you can now *cough* 'see', there is a practical reason for these lights, and we just get to enjoy the beautiful light show they put off in the end.
Unfortunately, though, this entire post is complete and utter satire, and so while a lot of what I said is based on real science, it in no way has any real world application in this situation.
And with that, I provide my closing sarcasm BBCode: [/sarcasm]
:pompous:

(Supercharger_Z06, if I upset you with my leading insult, I apologize! lol Hopefully after understanding it's all in jest, you can forgive me... ^_^)

Someone had too much time on their hands. You should be engineering better blade designs!

One LED strip in my case is all the lighting I need. RGB is getting out of hand in the PC market. All it is is added cost to products that are already starting to get outrageous and costing us more to build.

I have a Noctua cooler, and the redux fans in my case, no RGB needed.

I've heard this over and over, and yes, it's only 3 anecdotal data points, but my 2x Antec Kuhler 920 and 1x Kuhler 620 have been running pretty much 24/7/365 for the past few years without issues.

And for most people that's good enough. But you have to deal with the potential of pump failure and leakage. I suppose you could make the argument that heatpipes can leak, but the chances of that are even less.

Both of them can suffer from fan failure.

Another thing to consider is that people are sensitive to varying levels of noise. For some people (myself included) cannot or will not tolerate the additional noise.

And yeah, that's the thing with industrial fans, their intended speed/airflow target is much higher than most consumer fans. So of course a Delta screamer is going to wear out faster and buzz when spun down, but it'll perform a heck of a lot better than an Ultra Kaze or even a Noctua iPPC at high RPMs.

The Gentle Typhoon is one of the few exceptions to that rule. It was a server fan designed for lower speeds, hence the consumer fan market is just now catching up to them.

Actually my Delta comment was the whole "throw noise concerns out the window". Back when I was younger, my computer was literally a cyclone.

I hadn't heard of the gentle typhoon 1850s until this thread. Looked it up, seems like there are concerns about the noise profile despite the incredible cfm to noise ratio.

In any case, that's one thing Noctua has going for it over all the other comparable (and arguably better?) contenders: they struck first and held onto their lead. They're basically the defacto standard when it comes to high quality silent cooling, regardless of whether or not that's still true.

Between choosing ole reliable over testing new fangled competing fans, that cost about the same, will only result in most choosing the former.
*Also supply is a big issue. Since Noctua was first to market, or close to, most places have stock.

All it is is added cost to products that are already starting to get outrageous and costing us more to build.
And that's the best case scenario! Worst case, they are keeping the price the same but sacrificing quality a bit on other components to make up for the cost of the RGB shit.

Any case fans I've gotten that had LEDs... They've been cut out and I'll use the LEDs in some dumb project or as replacements for some indicator somewhere else.
My MSI Titanium board has a few white LEDs, and even with them I'd like a BIOS option to simply disable them. I only found THIS out recently, but apparently their RGB software for the headers, can also change the brightness on them. Alas, I seriously would rather put up with them as they are, than install another program that will serve me absolutely no purpose beyond that simple task.
Even my Razer mouse has RGB, and initially when I started using it, the RGB would activate in a default rainbow mode... Oh man did that aggravate me! There was no simple way to disable it. THANKFULLY, after I installed the software on my laptop, dicked around with some profiles, it must've taken it out of some sort of Demo mode? I dunno. Only thing is that now if I plug it into another computer that lacks the software, NO LEDS turn on! :D

Though, I bought it to replace my Circa-2005 Razer Copperhead, since I bought the new Razer Diamondback, hoping that it'd be similar to the old, original Diamondback, which was virtually identical to my Copperhead... Nope :( They changed where the side-buttons are, and removed the rubber side grip. Now the buttons are high up on the shoulders, and it's right where I hold the mouse. Not only is it uncomfortable, but it gets in the way as I end up accidentally clicking them.

As such I can't resist feeling that they prioritized the RGB styling over the form/usability... I sadly still use my 2005 Copperhead due to this :\

Last edited:
The fuck is wrong with all of you and what the hell is sooooooooo bad about RGB? Like, God forbid people be able to CHOOSE WHAT COLOR they want their PC when they choose.

I mean goddammit, all of you act like just because somethings RGB it has to be cycling colors constantly at epileptic speeds and you just CAN NOT do anything else OTHER THAN THAT! Did you know you can even...*GASP*...TURN THEM OFF COMPLETELY! WTF?!

Noctua having no RGB = them not doing RGB. That's ALL. They aren't some saviors of PC fans. They aren't choosing form over function. They're just deciding not to do something that would sell more fans to people that want to stick with the ole' evil stupid LOL KIDS RGB fans.

It's really annoying how you people act. It makes you all look more ignorant than the so called idiots that like having different colors in their case.

OH I'm sorry...is having lights in your PC just stupid over all now or something? Sorry, didn't get the memo...I guess doing what we've been doing for decades is fucking retarded now.

tenor.gif

The fuck is wrong with all of you and what the hell is sooooooooo bad about RGB? Like, God forbid people be able to CHOOSE WHAT COLOR they want their PC when they choose.

I mean goddammit, all of you act like just because somethings RGB it has to be cycling colors constantly at epileptic speeds and you just CAN NOT do anything else OTHER THAN THAT! Did you know you can even...*GASP*...TURN THEM OFF COMPLETELY! WTF?!

Noctua having no RGB = them not doing RGB. That's ALL. They aren't some saviors of PC fans. They aren't choosing form over function. They're just deciding not to do something that would sell more fans to people that want to stick with the ole' evil stupid LOL KIDS RGB fans.

It's really annoying how you people act. It makes you all look more ignorant than the so called idiots that like having different colors in their case.

OH I'm sorry...is having lights in your PC just stupid over all now or something? Sorry, didn't get the memo...I guess doing what we've been doing for decades is fucking retarded now.
You seem a bit butthurt here, more than even I am with all the crap that comes with RGB now.

However, I'll gladly, and calmly, explain.

There actually is nothing wrong at ALL with RGB lighting. I think it looks quite nice at times, and is definitely pretty, just like how Christmas Lights are.

The problem comes down to how it is implemented, and more importantly, to the level that it has been. You just can't seem to get away from them these days.
New monitor? RGB lighting.
New mouse? RGB lighting.
New keyboard? RGB lighting.
Computer case, fans, CPU cooling, motherboards, RAM, SSDs, PSU cables, Speakers? RGB lighting!

I'm sure I could list things almost endlessly, but my point is made; they are everywhere.

Now, your argument is "just fucking turn them off!", which frankly, is fair. My argument was that what they require you to do in order to disable that is not as easy as it should be in most situations. If the money is going to be spent on adding in a controller and RGB lighting LEDs, then it's not a huge ask from use that a simple physical Off-Switch be added as well. Having to install software to do this, and have that software always present and running in most cases, is not really acceptable IMO.

But the biggest reason why we (or at least I) take issue with RGB lighting on everything these days, is because what was once a CHOICE is now FORCED upon us. If we wanted to "rice-out" our computer, well, just like with our cars... that was our choice. We could buy the required items needed to add the lighting and go about installing it. I still think EL Wire is a cool way to light something up, so I understand the allure. We simply don't get that option now. I'd much rather save even if it's $5 worth of components, to not get the RGB model. In reality though, it's more than $5, because you're also having to pay for the R&D and additional assembly time. It's not like they are tossing in the components for us to install at our discretion.

Honestly, with the exception of keyboards and mice, I equate RGB lighting to meaning lower-quality. And this is simply because in the past that's exactly what it meant... The stuff you bought that was outfitted with all the flashy stuff was chinese knock-offs and the lighting was meant to distract you from the lackluster quality!

However, even these days, while that may not be true anymore, it's now a matter of "where are the same components that lack these things?", since not all of us DO want them.
Please don't take that as me insulting the people who DO like them, though. It comes down to the saying "To each their own", as one cannot expect to like the same things as the next person. Just seems unfair how we aren't given the choice anymore, and when you boil it all down, that's what I find to be "fucking retarded".

EDIT: One last thing, to try and help put it into perspective...
If you were going out to buy a new house, and in the new area you wanted to live, in every house which had all the living space and amenities that you wanted, all theit interior walls were laced with RGB lighting... How would that sit with you?

Now, if that doesn't bug you, here's the kicker...
You can't just flip a switch to disable them. You have to go down to the power company's office and fill out paperwork for them to disable it, and it means having to have a power-company employee come up to your house every day to initiate that. They don't have to come inside or anything, but you'll always have a random person coming over to your house and over to a control box on the side wall, where he tinkers with it.

That's how I equate it to, because it's non-intrusive to have to go and download/install their software (go over to the power company's office), nor is it to have that program always running on the computer in order to keep the RGB disabled (some person to come fiddle with an exterior control box)... but given the fact the lighting really doesn't improve anything in my life, it's dumb that it has to be this way.

Last edited:

I think most people that are in love with RGB view it as a new concept. Its not. I was building PC's back in late 90's when the LED craze hit, EVERYONE used LED fans in their builds. For those of us that were around back then building PC's its nothing new to us, and we see it as "Its been done". So its not very exciting. You could pick which color you wanted back then too, although sometimes it was a little more difficult because the market wasn't as saturated as it is now days. :oldman:

I think most people that are in love with RGB view it as a new concept. Its not. I was building PC's back in late 90's when the LED craze hit, EVERYONE used LED fans in their builds. For those of us that were around back then building PC's its nothing new to us, and we see it as "Its been done". So its not very exciting. You could pick which color you wanted back then too, although sometimes it was a little more difficult because the market wasn't as saturated as it is now days. :doctor:

There is a difference though Krenum. We didn't have this oversaturation of control apps at the time.

I think most people that are in love with RGB view it as a new concept. Its not. I was building PC's back in late 90's when the LED craze hit, EVERYONE used LED fans in their builds. For those of us that were around back then building PC's its nothing new to us, and we see it as "Its been done". So its not very exciting.
Edit-I forgot the name. Cold Cathode! 15 years ago it seems. A trip down memroy lane.

Last edited:
I'm sure I could list things almost endlessly, but my point is made; they are everywhere.

So what? Complaining about it is dumb. Turn it off if you don't want it. Period.

You could pick which color you wanted back then too

Yeah, ONE color. Wanted different? Go BUY NEW EVERYTHING! Now? I can but a set of fans and have whatever color case I want whenever I want.

My original post in this thread was referring to Noctua as a company, not Nidec. And it was Bawjaws that said they were the epitome of function over form, not I. Reading comprehension -1. If you need a point, then it's just that I've had great results with the GT 1850's and would go with them again. For rad fans, they are hard to beat. A bit dated from Martin's liquid labs, but still a pretty good comparison:

Yeah okay it was someone else who made the point that these industrial fans were the epitome of function over form, but you were most definitely corroborating it, so I just kind of grouped you two together. So what? You're going to waste half the text of your post nitpicking that? Kay.

Now do you have more recent graphs comparing other offerings? And preferably not all from one source?

Am I the only one who actually likes their beige and brown color fans?

I most certainly do. I kind of wish that someone would make a beige and brown color case to go along with them...

Yeah okay it was someone else who made the point that these industrial fans were the epitome of function over form, but you were most definitely corroborating it, so I just kind of grouped you two together. So what? You're going to waste half the text of your post nitpicking that? Kay.

Now do you have more recent graphs comparing other offerings? And preferably not all from one source?

Go back and read. I posted two separate review sources. Not sure what exactly is causing your butt-hurt or why you need to cop an attitude. Was just sharing some of my own personal experience as I've been around the block a few times and have been building PC's since the late 80's. I like Noctua fans just fine - own a few myself. You mad bro? Need a hug or something?

Last edited:
Go back and read. I posted two separate review sources. Not sure what exactly is causing your butt-hurt or why you need to cop an attitude. Was just sharing some of my own personal experience as I've been around the block a few times and have been building PC's since the late 80's. I like Noctua fans just fine - own a few myself. You mad bro? Need a hug or something?

Two sources, again, outdated... anyway...

I don't really know what necessitates this kind of attitude, here... my conduct wasn't exactly inciteful... like are you just a natural douche? I'll just block you either way, since I guess civilized conversation is impossible here.

So what? Complaining about it is dumb. Turn it off if you don't want it. Period.
Turning it off doesn't solve the issue of having to pay for something with gaudy features. It's not like a riced-out car where I can negotiate the price down by saying he can keep all the lighting.

Again, I'm not saying that there can't be this over-abundance of products like there is, I may not agree with it but I'm not complaining specifically for this fact.
No, my complaint is that there isn't choice beyond "turn it off". I mean it's rather simple in the vast majority of situations, and is literally nothing different than what has gone on for years anyways...
That is: Offer two of the products. They can be 100% identical in terms of manufacturing except one lacks the components that provide lighting.

Examples of how it is already something the industry does:
Laptops, for example the one I'm typing on. Its motherboard has provisions for m.2 slot, but is not populated with the physical socket or the various capacitors, resistors, etc needed for its operation. Why? Cost cutting!
Motherboards, not long ago it was VERY common to see two of the exact same models, where the only difference is one came with a RAID controller onboard, and one did not. Like my laptop, the PCB is just absent those components.

So all I'm asking is offer a model of the AIO water cooler that doesn't have the lighting and sell it to me for $50 instead of $55.
Sell the really nice fans without all the RGB LEDs and charge $10 instead of $11.
Offer an Aorus 7 that doesn't have RGBs or the control headers and sell it for $200 instead of $215.

Yes, I can turn it off, and I do. However, I'd much rather save $25 on a new water cooler, 5 case upgraded case fans, and a new motherboard if I could.

Honestly, for you to be pissed at ME over this is actually hypocritical, in case you weren't aware. I'm not saying they need to banish all RGB lighting, but they are focusing way too heavily on it when there are other things that could use the consideration. If you think that's bullshit, then all I have to say is think about how complex a motherboard is... now think about the effort needed in order to make traces that criss-cross the PCB just to accommodate software controllable lighting. ;)

I like rgb but I would rather have high quality fans and add a rgb ring after the fact. I'm happy with their decision.

And for most people that's good enough. But you have to deal with the potential of pump failure and leakage. I suppose you could make the argument that heatpipes can leak, but the chances of that are even less.

Both of them can suffer from fan failure.

Another thing to consider is that people are sensitive to varying levels of noise. For some people (myself included) cannot or will not tolerate the additional noise.

Actually my Delta comment was the whole "throw noise concerns out the window". Back when I was younger, my computer was literally a cyclone.

I hadn't heard of the gentle typhoon 1850s until this thread. Looked it up, seems like there are concerns about the noise profile despite the incredible cfm to noise ratio.

In any case, that's one thing Noctua has going for it over all the other comparable (and arguably better?) contenders: they struck first and held onto their lead. They're basically the defacto standard when it comes to high quality silent cooling, regardless of whether or not that's still true.

Between choosing ole reliable over testing new fangled competing fans, that cost about the same, will only result in most choosing the former.
*Also supply is a big issue. Since Noctua was first to market, or close to, most places have stock.

Gentle Typhoons are actually another "old reliable" fan too, particularly in the watercooling community. I think they're older than any Noctua fans.

Many fans have been rumored to surpass both over the years, but the really scientific, old testers you see in the cited charts above stopped testing years ago. Information on new (consumer) fans is mostly crap testing and anything decent is obscure and limited to a few fans at best, so like you said, most people go for old reliable.

Apparently there's no money in testing fans anymore, because all the tech sites stopped doing it or use really crumby methods.

Last edited:
Two sources, again, outdated... anyway...

I don't really know what necessitates this kind of attitude, here... my conduct wasn't exactly inciteful... like are you just a natural douche? I'll just block you either way, since I guess civilized conversation is impossible here.

Uncivilized? I just pointed out that you attributed something to me which I didn't say. You fessed up to doing so, so thanks for that. You had earlier asked me what my point was and then proceeded to throw several back to back questions at me in what could be easily be construed as being somewhat of an ass-hat move, but that didn't bother me. I posted a couple sources that hopefully answered your questions and also shared my own experience with the fans I use. You then dismissed what I posted as "outdated". Look, in-depth cooling fan reviews/comparisons only come around every so often and it's not like fan technology is evolving at all that rapid a pace. There's really not that much out there as far as well done, scientific, in-depth measurement based PC fan comparisons go - most of the more recent ones are little more than paid advertisements.

You and I both seem to share the same opinion as to RGB lighting when it comes to fans. Not sure why you are now accusing me of being a douche and threatening to block me, but hey, it's your choice.

Good, i didn't even know what all this RGB crap was until looking at new builds, if i want lights, i will put them in the good ol way!

Thank you Noctua, RGB is way overrated. But pls Noctua, areola colored fans need some updating in palette.

I remember when we all first started cutting holes in the sides of our cases to stick more and larger fans in them. Started with a single exhaust fan of 80mm, then it was a front intake + rear exhaust @ 80mm, then we cut a hole in the side and added another 80mm, then we moved up to 90mm, 120mm, 140mm, 200mm, Deltas moving 120cfm, etc.

Now I just want it to shut up and not let me know it's running at all. Same with RGB. Eventually the folk clamoring for it and blinging their stuff out with it will tire of the light show when they're trying to get work done and it'll all dry up.

I love how quiet my computer is. Fractal R5 case stuffed with Noctua fans and a D15 cooler. You have to put an ear next to the case to hear anything at all.

I do not care what they look like, as I cannot see them anyway (no window). I just want quiet, long lasting fans and Noctua delivers in a big way.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Turning it off doesn't solve the issue of having to pay for something with gaudy features.

Show me anything that's more expensive due to RGB or doesn't have a non-RGB option/alternative? Are RGB fans more expensive? Eh, not really, but if they were there's a TON of fans without them. Same for everything else you're complaining about. High end motherboards with RGB are no cheaper than high end motherboards were before RGB.

So, again, you people being mad makes no sense. Either turn them off if they bug you and ignore them, continue buying products for the same price as they were before RGB, or buy products that DON'T have RGB.

What's the problem?

Show me anything that's more expensive due to RGB or doesn't have a non-RGB option/alternative? Are RGB fans more expensive? Eh, not really, but if they were there's a TON of fans without them. Same for everything else you're complaining about. High end motherboards with RGB are no cheaper than high end motherboards were before RGB.

So, again, you people being mad makes no sense. Either turn them off if they bug you and ignore them, continue buying products for the same price as they were before RGB, or buy products that DON'T have RGB.

What's the problem?
Since you're the one who is misunderstanding and I've gone out of my way to phrase it all number of different ways to make it easier on you... I'll let you show me the identical, non-RGB versions of motherboards. I can't speak for what's available on Intel's side, but I've not seen any on AMD's side. :)

I'll let you show me the identical, non-RGB versions of motherboards.

Did you read what I said? High end motherboards now deploy RGB as standard, most of the time. Can you show me a high-end motherboard that's more EXPENSIVE due to RGB? If not then that means that motherboards, in this instance, fall under the "it has RGB that can be TURNED OFF if you don't want it but still cost the same as non-RGB" category. I mean this as "older chipset motherboards before RGB became more standard vs. newer chipset motherboards where RGB is standard".

No, I can't show you two of the same motherboards, one RGB one not RGB as they don't exist but the addition of RGB hasn't increased cost to you, the consumer.

So again, what's the problem?

Gentle Typhoons are actually another "old reliable" fan too, particularly in the watercooling community. I think they're older than any Noctua fans.

I was looking around and apparently the Nidec motors earned their reputation on Scythe Typhoons? This is well after I had switched to Noctua, around the time when the Antec P180 was the epitome of silent cases. This would have been over 10 years ago.

Back then Scythe's product was the Karma, which if I recall correctly tested well on SPCR, but it was unavailable in Canada

The Antec Tricool was also an OK product back then (if you could stand 2000rpm). However the lighted version was drastically inferior to the black version, and cost the same.

Did you read what I said? High end motherboards now deploy RGB as standard, most of the time. Can you show me a high-end motherboard that's more EXPENSIVE due to RGB? If not then that means that motherboards, in this instance, fall under the "it has RGB that can be TURNED OFF if you don't want it but still cost the same as non-RGB" category. I mean this as "older chipset motherboards before RGB became more standard vs. newer chipset motherboards where RGB is standard".

No, I can't show you two of the same motherboards, one RGB one not RGB as they don't exist but the addition of RGB hasn't increased cost to you, the consumer.

So again, what's the problem?
lmao If there are not two boards to compare price on, how, praytell, do you expect me to show you whether it impacts cost?? >_>
What I can tell you is that the BoM will have definitively increased due to the addition of all the components. But since, as you said, there are no two boards that exist, one with and one without, I fail to understand how you expect me to magically pull an example out of my ass when even you couldn't.

So I've been reading what you've wrote. It's me who's wondering if you're been reading what I've wrote. I simply mused that it'd be nice to have the Sans-RGB version of various products for a couple bucks cheaper. As I said, the cost to manufacture will have gone up, that's just a simple fact. Nothing in this world is free, and when we pay for something we are paying way more for it than what it costs to make. As consumers, we're simply not privy to those fine-details to know exact amounts.

Maybe this is why I want to keep buying their stuff!
Why does everything have to have ugly neon random assortments of light colors?

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Having used a quality $100 AIO vs. an $85 Noctua D15, I will take the D15 all day long (and is what I am using). It is much quieter (silent really) and cools just as well.
Same experience here. Exactly the same.

Back