Noctua Was the Only Hardware Company at Computex Totally Ignoring RGB

I filled my 2004 build with LEDs. I thought it was the coolest shit having my PC glow blue.

Now the only light inside my current case is the motherboard status code. I even turned off the GPU RGBs first day I bought my 1070. Dark and quiet.

I love my Noctua D15. The color may not be pretty, but looks don't matter when it comes to performance.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Granted most do have superfluous bits but you can find performance focused boards if you want them.

View attachment 81090

You can always start your own kickstarter and go for the big crowd that wants the all green PCBs.

Damn, haven't been paying attention to then newer m/b's, but I do like this one. Just had an m.2 drive die (with my o/s on it, real pita), can't pin it on heat, but having active cooling for it would be good.

... Those tiny ~30mm fans would probably drive me insane.

Not sure how I feel about that blower though. Not like the chipset needs active cooling, but would probably be useful for moving the stagnant air around the GPU out into the rest of the case.

Looks like the active cooling is the power components. You can always replace them with the little Noctua's, did that on my Asus board, had to modify the shroud a little (it's made for 10mm thick noise makers) to take the 20mm thick pcm fan, but no noise. I do really like the m.2 cooling, though.

Just googled the m/b, 'choke', damn, just like love, it's expensive.

If you don't know that adding RGB leds, microcontroler, programming support, design and integration development time, aren't free, I don't know what to tell you.

Plus added cost of multiple SKU's, inventory, production line changes and software. He's never worked for a manufacturer or distributor. Manufacturer's keep cost's down by limiting the number of SKU's the produce and support.

That was the norm...the RBG fad is a new fase amongst new kidos...1998 is 20 years ago....that was the norm of a PC....again, you memeory doesn't impress me.

So now components are "free"?
Or does this only apply to RBG components?
I guess the computer world is made og of two types of people:
- Those who are into performance
- Kiddos think RGB is "cool".

the ONLY outputs of light I want from a PC is:

- Power LED (Is the bastard on or off)
- I/O LED (is something abusing the drives?)
- Num Lock on the Keyboard (Does numpad work yes/no?)

Anything I consider "polution"...just like muppets that put a "noisy" aftermarket exhaust oin their cars...just producing more noise, with no added effect....it's something teens do.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Meeho
like this
get-off-my-lawn.jpg

48 this month and still like pretty lights and good sounding exhaust to each their own.

Biggest thing I hate about electric cars is they have no character from a nice V-8 or a raspy V-6. Fart can Honda civic and I'm with you but some things sound good.

One of the points I was trying to make earlier is that these pointless aesthetics are making companies money. You may not like that XYZ now has RGB but you may not have gotten XYZ without people buying RGB in the first place.

Last edited:
I might add that Amazon has some of the black fans. With the only bling they'll have for a while, the funky colored corner vibration pads. Cost more, though. And in grey, cheaper than black, the grey seems to be a stripped-down model.

In stock!

Order now!

You RBG guys can have your fans
I'll stick with UV and CCFLs
blacklight1.jpg

That was the norm...the RBG fad is a new fase amongst new kidos...1998 is 20 years ago....that was the norm of a PC....again, you memeory doesn't impress me.
Do not recall the RBG fad of the early 00s ? Also that system predates 98. its more 96 but could be even from 95 or 94. Being around the lan parts days of the early 00 and late 90s I can tell you people were cutting out the side panels of cases and adding lights. It was not mainstream at all until around 2002 or 3, but it went on.
Firefox+the+3dfx+Systems_+all+systems+online_.jpg

That is a early socket A system with a voodoo5500 and RGB fan built back in the day.
I know the owner of the system some what. He has had the system for a long, long time. last I herd he still has it but has replaced the 5500 with a 3850.

Last edited:
You RBG guys can have your fans
I'll stick with UV and CCFLs
View attachment 81705

Do not recall the RBG fad of the early 00s ? Also that system predates 98. its more 96 but could be even from 95 or 94. Being around the lan parts days of the early 00 and late 90s I can tell you people were cutting out the side panels of cases and adding lights. It was not mainstream at all until around 2002 or 3, but it whet on.
View attachment 81706
That is a early socket A system with a voodoo5500 and RGB fan built back in the day.
I know the owner of the system some what. He has had the system for a long, long time. last I herd he still has it but has replaced the 5500 with a 3850.

Nostalgia overload! Really miss those days, where, for me it all seemed so new & high tech.

Yeah, when was the last time you saw a nice well done system with UV and CCLFs and green led fans and real RGB led fans?
Now a days you have odd crap like these new stile RGB fans and white LEDs
Lets go back to what is really kool, UV and CCLFs .

http://www.xtremecomputing.co.uk/images/review/A.C.RyanMorf/image061.jpg
http://img.techpowerup.org/061207/UV_PC.jpg
http://www.hardware12v.com/galerias/imagenes/nebula/02.jpg
http://pre00.deviantart.net/886d/th...n_li_pc_p80_case_mod_by_climber07-d4ac6up.jpg

Edit:
Here is a real rgb fan from back in the day.
https://www.dvhardware.net/reviews/antectriled/7.jpg

Last edited:
Back