Noctua redux 140mm fans RPM

Nicholars

Gawd
Can anyone tell me what the actual RPM of the Noctua redux 140mm fans are? I am going to get either the 1500rpm or 1200rpm square 140mm.

They are listed as 1200 and 1500 +/- 10%, I need them to be around 1250+ rpm so what do they get when measured from motherboard?

Thanks

Last edited:
I just put a 1200 rpm redux pwm fan in my case. The rpm range I see is anywhere from 500 - 1,330 rpm. The low end is w/it as my cpu fan, the high end is via manual fan controller at 12v.

Ymmv.

I just put a 1200 rpm redux pwm fan in my case. The rpm range I see is anywhere from 500 - 1,330 rpm. The low end is w/it as my cpu fan, the high end is via manual fan controller at 12v.

Ymmv.

Damn I just ordered the 1500rpm version because I did not want anything under about 1250rpm. Hopefully the 1500rpm are less than 1500 so they don't rev annoyingly when turning pc on etc. What is the reason why 2 fans of the same brand / model would have different RPM on the same PC?

My experience has been that fans tend to spin faster than their rated speed. Another example would be one of my Corsair SP120s. It's rated at 1,450 rpm, but spins around 1,580-1,590 at 12v.

But that's not always the case. Here's video of a 1500rpm Redux spinning at 1,382 rpm at 12v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fqZSPCRZ2s. Maybe yours will also be on the slower side.

What is the reason why 2 fans of the same brand / model would have different RPM on the same PC?

I wouldn't expect 2 of the same fan model to have speeds that vary too much on the same pc, provided they're tested at the same voltage. Having different speeds in different environments (e.g. different PCs) is more likely.

Last edited:
It also depends on how they're being used. With a filter or on a radiator, my JetFlo fans tend to spin a bit faster than when they've got nothing in front of them, but other fans might spin slower under the same circumstances.

My experience has been that fans tend to spin faster than their rated speed. Another example would be one of my Corsair SP120s. It's rated at 1,450 rpm, but spins around 1,580-1,590 at 12v.

But that doesn't appear to always be the case. Here's video of a 1500rpm Redux shown spinning at 1,382 rpm at 12v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fqZSPCRZ2s. Maybe yours will also be on the slower side.

Ah yes hopefully they are that speed, I have noticed that when a manufacturer has 2 fans which are otherwise identical but have different RPM eg. 1200 and 1500, often the 1500 will be slower and the 1200 will be higher so they are practically identical anyway. eg. 1200rpm @ 1330 and 1500 @ 1382, probably the same fan with a small resistor or something.

Ah yes hopefully they are that speed, I have noticed that when a manufacturer has 2 fans which are otherwise identical but have different RPM eg. 1200 and 1500, often the 1500 will be slower and the 1200 will be higher so they are practically identical anyway. eg. 1200rpm @ 1330 and 1500 @ 1382, probably the same fan with a small resistor or something.

Noctua generally ships their fans with short extension cables w/ a resistor under the names "Low Noise Adapter" and "Ultra Low Noise Adapter". I forget what the resistor values are though.

Noctua generally ships their fans with short extension cables w/ a resistor under the names "Low Noise Adapter" and "Ultra Low Noise Adapter". I forget what the resistor values are though.

I looked at those but it says it slows the 1500rpm to 1000rpm which is too low. Anyway I will see what the 1500rpm spin at when I get them and will report back incase anyone else wants to know.

The DC fans come with two Noise adapter cables, the PWM fans only come with one

REDUX fans do not come with any extra cables or attachments, they are the low cost options without all the bells and whistles. You can buy the appropriate low noise adapter kit from them separately if you want.

Back