Noctua NH-U14S with 7700k 5ghz?

pencea

Weaksauce
Currently using the Noctua NH-U14S. Was wondering if I were to get the 7700k, will this cooler be adaqute enough to handle it at 5ghz?

Also are the chances for 7700k hitting 5ghz high or is that only achievable for a small minority?

Last edited:
About 20% hit 5 ghz, so not the best odds. Also good chance you will have to delid it for temps to be acceptable.

But damn what is it you can't do at 4.8ghz that you can do at 5... ;);););)

Der8eur reckons about 33% can do 5GHz, but that is just an estimation from what he has seen and experience he has heard from others.
The golden ones can do 5.2GHz 24/7 according to him.
The downside, he strongly advises delidding if looking to hit 5GHz frequency as it is not very good in terms of IHS cooling for such clocks-voltage (even if voltages are acceptable 24/7).
And at most 1.4V Vcore if using it long term/gaming/etc, his recommendation and he is really on the ball between what is safe for 24/7 and what is more in line with benchmarking or more temporary.
But remember this is delidded.

Cheers

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies everyone. Looks like it's not really worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies everyone. Looks it's not really worth the hassle.
Well less hassle could be trying it with a very good AIO, but it may have some noise without delidding.
Regarding AIO, new model Predator from EKWB is meant to be out sometime soon and fingers crossed it gets some prompt reviews and see how it compares to other products.

Cheers

I'm using a 10 year old Noctua and my 7700K works well at 5ghz, even a little over. It is not delided. Handbreak will push temps into the high 80's. [email protected] is solid. I've been able to bench at 5050mhz with a tick on the BCLK. It does 4.8ghz with 1.25v. With a better cooler I bet 5.1 could be stable, not just cpuz validate like it is now.

It is the same thing as a 6700K, just lower voltage and a little higher frequency. Sell the 6700k and it could be an inexpensive upgrade. But if your at 4.7 now there is not much more performance to be had. I run mine at 4.8 24/7 because 5.0 gives me nothing. I'm GPU limited with a 2560x1080 monitor. With a new monitor and vega or a 1170 gtx the 5.0 ghz might come in handy.

Last edited:
I'm using a 10 year old Noctua and my 7700K works well at 5ghz, even a little over. It is not delided. Handbreak will push temps into the high 80's. [email protected] is solid. I've been able to bench at 5050mhz with a tick on the BCLK. It does 4.8ghz with 1.25v.

May help the poster.
You see much benefit going to 5GHz compared to say 4.8GHz for games and other apps?
Also what is the speed of the fan and loudness for the 5GHz (more out of curiosity)?

Problem is some need to apply around that 1.4V to hit 5GHz and no guarantee going to get a nice CPU, so if benefits are marginal compared to 4.8GHz gives the OP some leeway.
Cheers

I edited. And no I don't. I don't have the monitor or the GPU for a 5 ghz 7700k, yet. But I can get into BIOS and change things pretty quick to get it to do what I want to it do.

My Noctua is near silent, always, even as old as it is. I wish it was not so ugly. But I still love it.

Last edited:
Back