Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler / Heatsink Review @ [H]

So, I just bought a new case (Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Full Tower Case) to house my current rig. To this point I was using a Zalman CPNS9700 LED Cooler on my (aging but still viable) Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz CPU.

Having used the NH-D14 in a HTPC build prior and wanting to reduce noise and improve cooling to possibly increase overall overclock results, I sprang for another Noctua NH-D14 to slap on my LGA 775 ASUS Maximus Formula/Yorkfield setup.

So, Friday night (6/6/14) I moved everything over to the new Corsair 750D case and replaced the Zalman cooler with the NH-D14.

Well, I'll tell you boys this $71 Noctua purchase has been worth the price (to me) as it's lowered my CPU temps by 10c (I haven't seen the temps rise above 37.5c in an 84F room while pushing the system hard all weekend). over what I was seeing on my Zalman 9700.

Oh and I use aluminum thermal profiling tape to attach the thermocouples to the devices I want to monitor. Not electrical tape or even Kapton tape. Aluminum tape is conductive and not insulating and gives more accurate readings. I use it daily to create reflow soldering profiles for PCBA's.

Back