Noctua NF-F12 or BeQuiet Silentwings 3

craigdt

[H]ard|Gawd
Suggestions?

These will be replacing the stock CoolerMaster fans from the Masterliquid 240 AIO.

The stock CoolerMaster ones sound like a jet engine spooling up, so noise is a pretty important factor.

I know Noctua is generally really good, but I have no experience with either brand.

I have couple of NF-F12, it is audible at max rpm of 1500, around 22 decibels or around 18 decibels with Low Noise Adaptor which limits the rpm to 1200. Looking at be-quiet fan, their max decibels is around 16 decibels while still pushing decent air at 1450 rpm. Though I have never own a Be-Quiet, I probably go for the be-quiet based on specs for a quieter operations while still maintaining decent air flows.

I have all Noctua 140mm PWM fans in my system, great fans they are. Quality construction, performance & accessories. Couldn't see myself buying anything else.

Does a given fan get louder when you have it blowing out through a radiator (mounted in the top of a case) verses a fan sucking cool air into a radiator (front mounted)?

Both are great fans, you'd be well served by either. That said, I love the Be Quiet fans. The mounting options are great, and they are really, really quiet. Nice long, sleeved power cables as well.

I have 3x 140 SW3, they are much quieter then most stock case fans. I can however hear them (slight hum) over a pair of corsair MLs I purchased to replace the stock NZXT AERs on my x62. That being @50%-70% speed in a room with little ambient noise, any higher and they all sound loud.

SW3 has very good numbers, particularly in linear airflow (FPM) through rad and in low RPM scaling. I don't think I'll buy a Noctua again if I was buying today. But yeah, I certainly wouldn't even touch an older fan like the F12. Now of course, the Noctua rep in February told me to expect a new 120mm in Q1 2018. If and only if they scale better than the 140 SW3 would they be under consideration though.

I ended up getting the BeQuiet Silentwings 3.

Yeah- they are silent at full blast. They also led to slightly lower temps than the stock CoolerMaster fans too.

Im very impressed.

The weird mounting clip things were weird though.

4ZHR8dM.jpg

Last edited:
Back