Noctua AMD Threadripper Air Cooler Roundup @ [H]

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kyle_Bennett, Oct 10, 2018.

1. doyll

doyll Kyle's Thermocouple is HOT

Yeah, I'm aware of all the problems Enermax Liqtech TR4 is having. While the specs look good on paper with the problems people have had and are still having I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, but than I wouldn't use and CLC. While there are a couple of AIOs that are not CLC worth considering, they are not enough better than a good air cooled system to be worth the added expense, especially considering they will obviously need need coolant flushed and replaced after about a year of serious cooling just like any other H2O loop does .. and their lower quality components than the much more expensive custom loop components are not going to last as long meaning it's likely components will start failing in a couple years as well .. While water cooling does have it's place I can't afford it any more .. no, that's not really true. I can't justify it any more.

2. dpriest

dpriest n00b

All of that is a hassle in my opinion. Air cooling is the way to go in my humble opinion. The other thing I have found with Threadripper is that overclocking does not make a huge difference regarding performance. This processor is a beast right out of the box. With that said, once overclocked to 3.9 or 4Ghz, anything after that is splitting hairs and I have not noticed any noticable performance gains. I have mine OC'd to 4Ghz. When I encode video with Handbrake, I fire up all the fans to full tilt and leave the room because it sounds like a jet engine. I don't care what people say...If you want to properly cool this processor OC'd with air then you're going to have to put up with loud decibels.

3. doyll

doyll Kyle's Thermocouple is HOT

I agree with you 100%. Although I do still have one H2O loop in use my other 4 systems are air.
    I agree overclocking with most modern CPUs doesn't gain a significant improvement. So what if a extremely CPU intensive function take 35 minutes instead of 30 minutes? Very few of us ever use our CPUs at full load anyway, and if we do it's only on rare occasions.

4. raazet

raazet n00b

Came across this review for Enermax failure on pcpartpicker, https://pcpartpicker.com/b/9NsZxr

2018-09-20 23.03.59.jpg Enermax_failure_PCP.PNG

5. jhsu

jhsu n00b

Oh man, I just made a post about tearing down my liqtech unit over here:
    https://hardforum.com/threads/enerm...coolers-review.1945204/page-6#post-1044105077

I have an unopened Liqtech II and wondering if replacing the fluid might prevent the build-up/corrosion issue, or if the problem is something deeper.

As horrible as the issue is, the design itself is very serviceable and easy to take apart/put together.

6. Nathan_P

Nathan_P [H]ard DCOTM x2

Just put a Noctua NH u14 on my 1920x, idle temps are currently less than 30c, taking my 360mm Enermax AIO apart tomorrow, i'm curious to see what I find.

7. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

I look forward to your results. Photos please.

I picked up a be quiet Dark Rock Pro TR4 last month when I was in Italy, but haven't installed it yet. It's huge, but less wide than the NH-U14S. I'm not really interested in quietness so I want to replace the be quiet fans with better ones. I wish Noctua sold 140 mm versions of the NF-A12x25 (and the 15 mm thick one too). None of the wire fan clips I have look like they'll work with the fans I have so I may have to resort to zip-ties (tie-wraps). Eventually, I'll present some cooling results comparing the 2 setups. Maybe with their original fans and similar fans.

8. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Well its a good thing I like Earth tones & Owls. I will never buy another cooler that isn't a Noctua. My D-15 has been good to me thus far. Thanks for the review.

9. drizzyto

drizzyto n00b

I changed from Liqtec 280 to Noctua NHU14S last October, still haven't found the courage to open the Liqtec to see how clogged it was. Maybe I'll find it when I do "spring dusting" of my PC and decide to go for it. I've been reading about some liquid replacements, ones that don't clog or corrode. Maybe in the summer I'll get some and clean up the Liqtec, have it as a backup in case the Noctua cooler fails in some way (highly unlikely seeing its quality). As an update, I was at around 43 idle in 25c ambient back when the Noctua was new. Now with some dust (not a lot, stopped smoking next to the computer) it's 45c with 18c ambient. If I get the courage to open the Liqtec, I'll be sure to take a few pics, and post here.