Noctua AMD Threadripper Air Cooler Roundup @ [H]

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kyle_Bennett, Oct 10, 2018.

1. doyll

doyll Kyle's Thermocouple is HOT

Yeah, I'm aware of all the problems Enermax Liqtech TR4 is having. While the specs look good on paper with the problems people have had and are still having I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, but than I wouldn't use and CLC. While there are a couple of AIOs that are not CLC worth considering, they are not enough better than a good air cooled system to be worth the added expense, especially considering they will obviously need need coolant flushed and replaced after about a year of serious cooling just like any other H2O loop does .. and their lower quality components than the much more expensive custom loop components are not going to last as long meaning it's likely components will start failing in a couple years as well .. While water cooling does have it's place I can't afford it any more .. no, that's not really true. I can't justify it any more.

2. dpriest

dpriest n00bie

All of that is a hassle in my opinion. Air cooling is the way to go in my humble opinion. The other thing I have found with Threadripper is that overclocking does not make a huge difference regarding performance. This processor is a beast right out of the box. With that said, once overclocked to 3.9 or 4Ghz, anything after that is splitting hairs and I have not noticed any noticable performance gains. I have mine OC'd to 4Ghz. When I encode video with Handbrake, I fire up all the fans to full tilt and leave the room because it sounds like a jet engine. I don't care what people say...If you want to properly cool this processor OC'd with air then you're going to have to put up with loud decibels.

3. doyll

doyll Kyle's Thermocouple is HOT

I agree with you 100%. Although I do still have one H2O loop in use my other 4 systems are air.
    I agree overclocking with most modern CPUs doesn't gain a significant improvement. So what if a extremely CPU intensive function take 35 minutes instead of 30 minutes? Very few of us ever use our CPUs at full load anyway, and if we do it's only on rare occasions.